My take

ImageImageImage
MacDougall

My take

Post by MacDougall » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 10:09 pm

The Broncos played really well. Completed like 36 from 39 sets if not more. Gave us no quarter. Played the game they needed to. They deserve plenty of credit for the win.

Outside of three utterly moronic tries. The Gillett try, the Prince try and the Hodges try. We are in that game up to our eyeballs. The unfortunate issue is that those three tries were scored and it was the fault of Benji Marshall and Joel Reddy. Joel Reddy's was a pretty unfortunate accident but Marshall's was a case of just not having the defensive skills necessary to play in the NRL. He never has really but it's getting worse. Those three tries would only be scored against us.

The last few tries they scored were really on the back of us throwing caution to the wind and we pretty much had to. They got field position because we started running it on the last and spreading it. We looked pretty good with ball in hand but again the Broncos played well. They defended admirably.

Benji Marshall and Adam Blair are being carved up but really Benji was bad in defence but that was the most dangerous he's looked in attack in a while. He ran the ball more but he just doesn't go in for the contact. Rather than attempt to break the tackle he plays touch football. If a player gets close to him he kicks or throws it to someone else. That's not how to play rugby league. He looked dangerous but he needs to get tackled more. In defence he needs to use his shoulder. It's like he doesn't want to get his clothes dirty or grass stains on his knees. Not good enough and he needs to be dropped. Blair though. Blair was EXCELLENT. What game were you watching to say he was bad? That was a very good effort. He isn't a 150 metre running prop especially when given less than 40 minutes but at the end he was chasing the ball, using footwork, he was playing like a man possessed and his defence was excellent.

All our young guys really put in. Nofoaluma is very good and needs to be given more space for mine. The wingers were starved of ball tonight with Reddy and Ayshford hogging it way too much. In saying that both tried pretty hard as per usual but I gotta think we have better options than both of them in Naiyaravaro, Simona, Koroibete, Nofoaluma and probably Chris Lawrence too. I highly doubt that we'd be a better team with them in the side ahead of any combination of the others. Tedesco is very courageous but he is getting battered from pillar to post. To be honest I think he needs to spend the rest of the year in NYC (I'm quite sure he is still eligible) to let his body grow and spare him the high impact of NRL. He looks a talent but I think he will develop better in reggies at the moment because most of what he requires is just physical development. He has the brain and the skill that's for sure.

We have a great group of young players that's for sure and in the lower grades the likes of Santi, Brooks, Moses and Naiyaravaro are dominating. Naiyaravaro should come into the side now imo but I don't think the other kids need to be thrown in the deep end this season. There's not much to gain from it tbh. Better off just continuing to play them in NSW Cup on the semi regular. Santi and Brooks should be there round 1, 2014 though.

ball main

Post by ball main » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 10:15 pm

Well said. In defense of benji his confidence is shot. I would love to see him play with a genuine half back and a forward pack that actually don't continuously get smashed

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 10:17 pm

I thought the Broncos were bog stock ordinary tonight. We gifted them field position which put us under the pump for consecutive sets and we buckled, unable to work it out, and if we did couldnt book-end it with a decent kick and chase. If we kept it together for the back end of the first half we would have gone a long way to winning that game.

Many were good, though those that were poor I wouldnt even freaken feed.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 10:18 pm

Very well put together. Benji looks terrible and seems like he doesn't care.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 10:28 pm

Wow, amazing round up!

I think one thing that NO ONE has mentioned is METRES! we have made the absolute worst metres in the NRL this season as of last round, doubt its any better this week. And I'm sure we have conceded the most. Around round 7 we had the worst metres differential (-200m) of any team and i'm pretty sure it's gotten worse. We struggle to break 45m gained and concede more than 50 in MANY sets game after game.

We need more go forward and we need to contain them! We contained them against the cowboys and penrith to some degree but not even close this week.

Any ideas on how to reduce their metres? I mean, we can buy, we can sell but that's for later. We're just outmuscled or have no desire. Combination of both i reckon.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 10:36 pm

Phyre, we lose the field positon game, spending way too much time bogged down trying to work it off our own line... it only takes one poor set, one poor kick, or even a poor chase, the opposition gets easy filed position and a decent kick away and we get pinned on our line. The opposition defence lifts and we get stuck in a vicious circle set after set, kicking from deep in our half, they start their set in good field position.....

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 10:41 pm

pHyR3 wrote:Wow, amazing round up!

I think one thing that NO ONE has mentioned is METRES! we have made the absolute worst metres in the NRL this season as of last round, doubt its any better this week. And I'm sure we have conceded the most. Around round 7 we had the worst metres differential (-200m) of any team and i'm pretty sure it's gotten worse. We struggle to break 45m gained and concede more than 50 in MANY sets game after game.

We need more go forward and we need to contain them! We contained them against the cowboys and penrith to some degree but not even close this week.

Any ideas on how to reduce their metres? I mean, we can buy, we can sell but that's for later. We're just outmuscled or have no desire. Combination of both i reckon.
One set was 29 metres

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 10:42 pm

We have terrible metres in part because other clubs have effective kicking games.

We have a poonce who can find any of the oppositions back three on the full and takes a penalty kick for the sideline from 30 out and kicks it 2 freaking metres. What forward would want to come here with that nonce running the show?

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 10:44 pm

smeghead wrote:We have terrible metres in part because other clubs have effective kicking games.

We have a poonce who can find any of the oppositions back three on the full and takes a penalty kick for the sideline from 30 out and kicks it 2 freaking metres. What forward would want to come here with that nonce running the show?
Exactly those things so annoy me....It's almost like he doesn't care. :?

shakey4d

Post by shakey4d » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 10:45 pm

Black'n'White wrote:Phyre, we lose the field positon game, spending way too much time bogged down trying to work it off our own line... it only takes one poor set, one poor kick, or even a poor chase, the opposition gets easy filed position and a decent kick away and we get pinned on our line. The opposition defence lifts and we get stuck in a vicious circle set after set, kicking from deep in our half, they start their set in good field position.....

Agree.I think our forwards went ok but we lost the game of field position due to an ordinary kicking game.

Some great points macdougall too. But i think i need to watch the game again. I barely notices blair at all which is not good enough for one of our senior forwards. I think the rule macdougall applied to Aysh and Reddy could be applied to Blair. That is, i dont think we are a better team with blair there over any other prop we have.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 10:46 pm

That's a pretty good take.
The luck wasn't really with us today with a couple of those tries and neither was the ability for Benji to make a one-on-one tackle. The Broncos were very strong and just played the way they should of tonight. Beat us down the middle and kick to that heavy bit of ground in the first half. In the second they completed their sets and didn't allow is to pressure them.

We made too many errors and gave away too many penalties. A couple of slack attempts at tackles and you get tonight's result. We lacked direction and seemed to be working our way to the right side of the field when last week we were working towards the left side. Benji and Curtis were kicking with players rushing them from the wrong side.

We were outmuscled up front and chanced our arms and it didn't work. Next week has to be better.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 10:49 pm

pHyR3 wrote:Wow, amazing round up!

How about the club getting a coach that knows how coach defence? With a little luck the same coach may also know how to coach attack.

Paris Cobbs

Post by Paris Cobbs » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 12:12 am

I agree that there were periods of the game when we looked good inattack- in fact we seem to be developing some good structure in our attack, with Siro, Benji and Anasta directing things, and Teddy sniffing around for an offload.

We lost tonight because of the possession rate, which was greatly affected by penalties. We get penalized for everything. I couldn't believe we were penalized when Mesada went over. Referees control possession and the pace of the game, they have much too much influence on the outcome. The Broncos were off side all game, and only penalized once. This is why they were in the fàces of our kickers and we spent most of the game trying to get out of our own 30 meter mark.

Their second try is was one of the cheesiest tries I have ever seen. It could only happen to us.
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 6:56 am

ball main wrote:Well said. In defense of benji his confidence is shot. I would love to see him play with a genuine half back and a forward pack that actually don't continuously get smashed

You don't need to play with a halfback to tackle.

Anthism

Post by Anthism » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 7:15 am

Disagree about Broncos being anything near good. We were aweful and I'm usually not a pessimist.
They could easily get through the whole team which is worrying because their attack is bad.
Parker got a ridiculous amount of offloads, we put no pressure on them so they had easy completions of sets. Horrible kicks and kick chases when we actually had half decent ones.
No right to score any of their tries in all honesty. The only two which were half decent were the ones before half time/full time but they should never have been in a position to get either of those....
Turning point in the game was the penalty against us for Iosefa's try when Prince was offside. We really suck at playing through adversity. Definitely in the mix before that although Broncos were winning field position.

Glen McWilliams

Post by Glen McWilliams » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 7:23 am

smeghead wrote:We have terrible metres in part because other clubs have effective kicking games.

I nearly threw up when he did that. Ever seen a bloke give less of a f... on a footy field?

The worst part of all this is I hate watching us play. We are a bad football team playing horrible footy. I look forward to the weekend so I can watch footy, love going to NSW Cup and Ron Massey Cup games (even went to a Sydney Shield game the other week). But when the Tigers play it's just about the worst 80 minutes of my weekend and it kills me. I can handle a talentless bunch that tries hard but still gets done, at least they are having a crack. We have a roster oozing talent and experience and look at what they dish up. The first line of business for the incoming CEO should be to head down to Bunnings and buy Potter the biggest broom he can find.
Boston Red Sox 2013: Worst to First!
Boston Red Sox 2014: First to Worst...

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 7:46 am

I don't think the Broncos were slick or anything but they played really well in that they held the ball and put in second efforts in attack and defence. To beat the Tigers that's all you need to do. Starve them of possession and attempt to break tackles, because as Gillett and Prince showed, we fall off them in the most obscene of ways.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 8:11 am

MacDougall wrote:Benji Marshall and Adam Blair are being carved up but really Benji was bad in defence but that was the most dangerous he's looked in attack in a while. He ran the ball more but he just doesn't go in for the contact. Rather than attempt to break the tackle he plays touch football. If a player gets close to him he kicks or throws it to someone else. That's not how to play rugby league. He looked dangerous but he needs to get tackled more. In defence he needs to use his shoulder. It's like he doesn't want to get his clothes dirty or grass stains on his knees. Not good enough and he needs to be dropped. Blair though. Blair was EXCELLENT. What game were you watching to say he was bad? That was a very good effort. He isn't a 150 metre running prop especially when given less than 40 minutes but at the end he was chasing the ball, using footwork, he was playing like a man possessed and his defence was excellent.
Blair was really good and your assessment of Benji is spot on.