benji

ImageImageImage
mtd

benji

Post by mtd » Wed 19 Jun, 2013 11:13 pm

i know its being done to death at the moment, but what are we to expect this week?

i'm sure most people want him to return to form, but the signs aren't promising. i keep thinking back to the sook on the footy show when he got dropped, the attitude is rubbish.

can he turn it around? or am i being to optimistic?

Robz

Post by Robz » Wed 19 Jun, 2013 11:23 pm

I can't see him becoming Benji of old with our forward pack being belted week in week out. I'd just be happy if he can get the 5th tackle option right and finding space on the last with the kicking game. More pressure for repeat sets I would be happy instead of low % plays example chip kicks.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013
Welcome to the Jungle!

tigerbalm

Post by tigerbalm » Thu 20 Jun, 2013 12:10 am

tigerbalm

Post by tigerbalm » Thu 20 Jun, 2013 12:10 am

tigerbalm wrote:Posted using RoarFEED 2013
I'm hoping for a solid performance

But I'm:

Expecting a poor kicking game
Expecting the benji crab walk
Expecting atleast 2 cut out passes into the second row of the crowd
Expecting 1 failed touch finder
Expecting 12 poor 5th option plays
Exiting 0 line breaks
Expecting 5 missed tackles
Expecting 28m
Expecting zero talk behind the goals
Expecting a 50% goal kicking average.

But who knows. I guess that's the allure of B.Marshall.

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Thu 20 Jun, 2013 7:06 am

This might be the understatement of the year but i think he is trying to do too much at once.

Couple of seasons ago he lost his touch kicking goals, he was down and out and then went back to basics(Joey or whatever it was at the time). He came back , started taking his time and thinking about kicks and hit them sweeter.

I see the shades of that this year. Lot has happened, coach sacked and a new one hired, all talk about Robbie and Benji running the show etc, injuries. Benji works best when he does his own thing, not when he has been given a job to do or when he carries the team.
Give him a halfback who takes the responsibility off him (anasta in this case) and we will see the old Benji who used to run the ball, do random things and was unpredictable as hell.

Right now Benji is thinking two steps ahead before even getting the ball and when he gets it he doesnt know what the best option is. Basically he is over-cooking it.

I'd love Potter to tell Benji he has a free pass and gives the leadership role to someone else on the park. Thats the only answer to getting his old form or close to it back.
Benji is spontaneous and he should be best left as that.

When Farah made the SOO he struggled with the first few games, why ? cause the coach wanted him to play a way which wasnt his game. Now later he is playing the way Farah plays club football and clearly he is the best hooker out there ( was for game 1)
In the same sense the answer lies with Potter, take focus of Benji and run plays with other players. Benji is best when he is Benji, not when someone else tells him how to play.

PS; Sorry about the Novel, got carried away.

T-REXX

Post by T-REXX » Thu 20 Jun, 2013 7:19 am

mtd wrote:i know its being done to death at the moment, but what are we to expect this week?

i'm sure most people want him to return to form, but the signs aren't promising. i keep thinking back to the sook on the footy show when he got dropped, the attitude is rubbish.

can he turn it around? or am i being to optimistic?
Your 100% right.

It has been done to death!

How many Benji threads we need?

everett

Post by everett » Thu 20 Jun, 2013 7:23 am

Benji Marshall is being flogged to death by so many posts.

My view is Marshall came along at the right time for the club in 2005 and played a big hand in winning us the comp. He did have a proper half back in the form of Scott Prince. He pulled Wests Tigers out of the dodrums and won us many fans with exciting brand of RL. I will always hold a special place for Marshall and the 2005 team.

The club, including Marshall and Sheens lived in the glow of the 2005 victory and to a large extent to our determent. Prime example Sheens contract should never been extended and should have let him go to Penrith years ago. His poor recruitment and "boys club" has now caused many of the current problems.

Marshall is a very special player and has provided so many highlights over the years and inspired so many young people to copy him and support our great club and game.

Come 2013 and Marshall appears to have gone backwards with his game. He misses a lot of tackles and his kicking game, running game, passing game and options are poor for a player of his ability and standing in the game. Does not seem to be interested and to me is influencing our current results.

Marshall to me also represents the old Wests Tigers which includes Sheens and the players moved on over the last couple of years. Boys club who appear to have much influence around the club and coach. I feel sorry Potter has to pick up the pieces.

We need to change the culture of the club to move forward to be successful and to me Marshall is part of the problem.

Marshall to me does not add value for money, no longer the player he once was and not the way forward in 2014. Hard decisions need to be made like Penrith and Parramatta are undertaking even if players like Marshall are the one to be moved on.

Brooks and Moses appear to be the new generation and I would hate to lose them to another club as we try to live in the past and keep Marshall beyond 2013.

We won the under 20's and runners up in State Cup last year so we have talent coming through the ranks which we can build a sucessful era which all supporters and sponsers want.

I am excited watching Koro, Nofo, Simona, Sue (my favourite), Woods, Buchanan (I know St George junior), Ava, Sirro and Brooks and Moses when their time is due.

I am no longer excited seeing Marshall, Lawrence, Blair perform as shadows of their former selves and living off past glories. Thank you for the memories but we need to rebuild or accept coming bottom each year.

I am looking over the next 2 years as contacts expire to move on Marshall, Lawrence, Ashyford, Blair, Anasta, Pettybourne, Bell, Reddy, Lote, Utai etc and bring through the new generation and with it sucess and a new culture.

Also need to allow Potter time to rebuild the club and culture around Farah and Fulton (these guys bleed Wests Tigers) and can help the club move forward.
Last edited by everett on Thu 20 Jun, 2013 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Living the dream and praying for another premiership

Eye Of Da Tiger

Post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Thu 20 Jun, 2013 7:26 am

Not expecting anything different o last week! Why would I?

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Thu 20 Jun, 2013 11:45 am

Sounds really bad but im at the point where i feel Benji leaving is the only way forward for us and for that to happen, he needs to continue to dish up crap like last week. So for the long term good of the club, i hope he has a shocker.
Sorry, but i cant help feel this way towards the guy.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Thu 20 Jun, 2013 12:55 pm

i wonder how long potter can keep him in the side, surley potter has to say to him this is your last chance to run the ball and play smart football or ur going to the NSW cup,or do we have to wait for potter to grow some balls.

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Thu 20 Jun, 2013 12:56 pm

i wonder how long potter can keep him in the side, surley potter has to say to him this is your last chance to run the ball and play smart football or ur going to the NSW cup,or do we have to wait for potter to grow some balls.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 20 Jun, 2013 1:01 pm

I think I can understand Benji's reasoning now

He is scared that if he does return to his form of 2010 and 2011 that many of us would either injure ourselves falling off our chairs or for the older brigade ( Flippedy ,Ink ,CB and Watto ) may have a coronary

He is such a thoughtful person when you think about it

Post by Guest » Thu 20 Jun, 2013 1:03 pm

happy tiger wrote:I think I can understand Benji's reasoning now

He is scared that if he does return to his form of 2010 and 2011 that many of us would either injure ourselves falling off our chairs or for the older brigade ( Flippedy ,Ink ,CB and Watto ) may have a coronary

Hahahaha I like it. Well said.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 20 Jun, 2013 1:43 pm

happy tiger wrote:I think I can understand Benji's reasoning now

Slow down old fella, I'm only 27... Would probably still have a coronary though!
And the sky is filled with light, can you see it?
And the black is really white, if you believe it.
And the longing that you feel, you know none of this is real;
You will find a better place, in this twilight...

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

tigerbenji

Post by tigerbenji » Thu 20 Jun, 2013 1:50 pm

Love The Wests Tigers coulnt of put that any better myself.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Thu 20 Jun, 2013 1:53 pm

Good post 'Love the West Tigers' and I agree with your perspective, particularly; "Right now Benji is thinking two steps ahead before even getting the ball and when he gets it he doesnt know what the best option is. Basically he is over-cooking it" Benji is being given the leadership role because of his seniority, not his ability.

However, while I agree with the sentiment, I don't think this is a viable option; "I'd love Potter to tell Benji he has a free pass and gives the leadership role to someone else on the park. Thats the only answer to getting his old form or close to it back. Benji is spontaneous and he should be best left as that." because I don't think we have the team (stability or structure) to support Marshall's kind of play at the moment. Next question; Who do you give the leadership role to?

In my view, a solid halfback in the side would give us a good indication whether or not Marshall will/can regain his form. I don't think the Benji conundrum will be an easy one for Potter to unpick.
"Quality Stupidity"

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Thu 20 Jun, 2013 2:10 pm

In response to 'mtd'; for the reasons above, No I don't think Benji will/can turn it around. He might have a better game but other things need to change if we are to see any kind of return to form.
"Quality Stupidity"

TIGERS

Post by TIGERS » Thu 20 Jun, 2013 4:19 pm

He's a mere mortal.

Along with Johnny Sutton, Mitchell Pearce, Jamie Soward and James Maloney, Benji can look very ordinary when he's not playing behind a decent forward pack. Each of those players I've mentioned have enjoyed very successful and also very ordinary seasons in equal measure, based around the meters, play the balls and offloads creaded week in week out by a good bunch of fowards.

Saying that Benji is rubbish is putting the cart before the horse.

In the most ideal of circumstances, we could've still had Gibbs, Fifita, Ellis and Heingington playing with Woods and an uninjured Galloway and Farah. Compare that to what we put out against the Broncos last week...

We havent got that kind of dynamic front row anymore... for many reasons obviously. Its unfair to expect the same kind of swagger from Benji ala 2010 and 2011 with so many departures from our forward pack.

In addition to this he has to play alongside inexperienced guys like Tedesco, Sirro and Masada. Add all this together, and people are cranky with him because we are getting rolled by teams like Souths and the Broncos. What else do you expect? I've we get shot of Blair, Tuquri and Utai we will have loads of cash to bolster our forwards and get things rolling again.

If we stick with him the good times will come back.
Teams do not go physically flat, they go mentally stale...