The single key to beating the raiders

ImageImageImage
Tigerpete

The single key to beating the raiders

Post by Tigerpete » Fri 21 Jun, 2013 11:59 am

In thinking about this weekend's match up, it looks a tough one on paper. Raiders have shown some good form lately being led by McCrone, Campese, Pappali (thankfully out) and co. Not to forget the talents of Croker and Milford off the bench. They're a dangerous proposition. Especially for a side that's a little unsure of itself. I thought earlier in the week that this could be an ugly one for us......but only if we perform below average like last week.

The key for me In winning this game starts with ourselves and nothing more. For me we really need Benji, Blair, Aysh, Lawry(if he is to be a late inclusion), Reddy , Iosefa and Pettybourne, as senior players to step up simply play things smart, composed and disciplined. Make sure these guys are doing the 1%'s right. We don't need to see the big hail mary plays, risky offloads, or 3rd tackle grubber kicks. What we need is brains, boring - structured football. If we do this we give ourselves a shot and the younger guys like Teddy, Nofa, Sirro, Sue and co will buy into it and from there we have a real chance. Canberra a beatable. No Pappali, Lee, Ferguson. That's 3 dangerous weapons OUT! They too have their inexperience in the squad too. So it's a very winnable game this. LIke many have said about Monday night's game. We just never gave ourselves a shot at winning that.

Golden

Post by Golden » Fri 21 Jun, 2013 12:04 pm

I thought it would be scoring more points then them

I hate the raiders as eveyrone knows 89 can not be forgotten I hate this game because I get angry when we lose to them

The Tooth

Post by The Tooth » Fri 21 Jun, 2013 12:13 pm

We can play as poorly as we did against the Broncos and still jag a win if Benji or hopefully Sirro can get repeat sets with their 5th tackle options. We ended missing so many tackles because after all the hard work to get up the oppostion end, we simply hand them the ball on their 20 and away they go. Imo their is nothing more crucial in a game of footy then getting repeat sets (if not tries). No matter how good a teams defence is or how poor the opposing teams attack is, eventually any team will score with repeat sets.
If Benji wants the ball on the last then he has to come up with the right play otherwise step aside and let the halfback do his job.

willow

Post by willow » Fri 21 Jun, 2013 12:15 pm

One of our most structured games was against Canberra last year and we smacked them 40-0. Sadly I don't see a repeat happening.

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Fri 21 Jun, 2013 1:18 pm

Passion.
Desire to win more than them.

Robz

Post by Robz » Fri 21 Jun, 2013 1:21 pm

Playing direct football, putting pressure on with our kicking game & tightening up in defence via the middle.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013
Welcome to the Jungle!

Post by Guest » Fri 21 Jun, 2013 1:45 pm

Rob86a wrote:Playing direct football, putting pressure on with our kicking game & tightening up in defence via the middle.

Our kicking game,

Hahaha, funny man :)

underdog

Post by underdog » Fri 21 Jun, 2013 2:12 pm

I personally think the Raiders are a hoax of a team - Terry Campese is both mentality and physically frail. Croker disappears, Mcrone and Williams have glimmers of brilliance, and there pack spends large amounts of time NOT realising how big they are. Robinson at fullback is brilliant, but can be rattled early in the game.

beating this mob is about confidence - and mental discipline - outsmart these guys and we will win.

Unfortunately, the smartest player on our team is in origin camp, and we are going to miss Woods go forward desperately.

izotope

Post by izotope » Fri 21 Jun, 2013 3:47 pm

fulton to take kicking duties
tigers!

TIGERS

Post by TIGERS » Fri 21 Jun, 2013 3:55 pm

Ahh sooohhh... confucius say the single key to beating the raiders is scoring more points than they do.
Teams do not go physically flat, they go mentally stale...

WestsSupporter

Post by WestsSupporter » Fri 21 Jun, 2013 4:13 pm

Okay so last year didn't we annihilate them ? But then I also remember that game where Terry Campese ripped us up. Kicking is where this game will be won and I just think at this point in time we are far outclassed in that department.
Extremely frustrated fan. Try not to let my negativity get to you.

Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl » Fri 21 Jun, 2013 5:05 pm

Golden wrote:I thought it would be scoring more points then them

I hate the raiders as eveyrone knows 89 can not be forgotten I hate this game because I get angry when we lose to them
x 2 golden, some wounds just never heal
I dislike sowfs immensely

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Fri 21 Jun, 2013 5:20 pm

Guys I just believe that in order stand a chance our senior players need to lead the way for the young'ns. Against the Cowboys it was Farah and Woods who led the way. Sirro, Teddy, Nofoaluma, Sue Koroibete followed suit that night. Against the Panthers things were a little different, I thought Marshall had some good moments that game, Simona led the way in the second and Woods was...well Woods like once more. Whilst the young guys will have their good moments and develop over time, the key is the example shown to them on field by more senior players.

Eye Of Da Tiger

Post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Sat 22 Jun, 2013 8:21 am

Attitude/Pride