willow

Leichhardt to help ease Origin pain

Post by willow » Fri 28 Jun, 2013 5:00 pm

By Wayne Cousins
Wests Tigers

Friday 28 June 2013 12:05 PM

When Robbie Farah speaks about Leichhardt Oval, it comes straight from the heart.

It was clear again this morning when the Wests Tigers Captain and NSW hooker turned up for the team’s final training session before tomorrow night’s clash against Melbourne Storm at Leichhardt Oval.

Joining him was the Club’s latest NSW representative in prop Aaron Woods. His smile was infectious.

Asked as how Farah pulled up after Origin and how tough it would be to back up after such an intense game and a long week, the proud Leichhardt Wanderers junior summed it up perfectly.

“We (Aaron and I ) are both keen to get back here. We are local boys from Leichhardt and we are wearing the Balmain Tigers heritage jerseys tomorrow so it is a big occasion for us. We can’t wait to get out there,’’ Farah said.

“I’m excited to get back here. I haven’t been around the boys for a while so it is good to be back. They had a great win last week against the Raiders and Aaron and I were really proud.

“It makes it easier too by having a home game here. Leichhardt is a place we enjoy playing at and it is not hard to get up for a game here, especially against the Storm.”

Farah said Woods would run onto Leichhardt Oval more of a wiser player after making his Origin debut on Wednesday night.

“It was obviously not a night to remember in terms of the result but sometimes you learn a lot more from those sort of experiences and those sorts of losses,’’ Farah explained.

“It will make him a better player. He will come back here and the NRL will seem so much slower to him because of the experience up there.”

The Storm have lost captain and hooker Cameron Smith as a casualty of the Origin match but Farah was not falling for the trap of taking them lightly.

“We are confident. We have had a tough year but the last month we have toughed out some gritty wins. We have won three of our last four,’’ he said.

“There are some young kids there that are gaining some much valued experience. We are taking some steps in the right direction and we are slowly improving.

“Melbourne are going to be tough. We enjoy playing them and we like playing here (at Leichhardt). Regardless of the result, I can guarantee we are going to put in a good performance and the rest will take care of itself.”

Just like it did a few weeks back when the soaked Leichhardt Oval faithful lifted the team to victory against the Cowboys.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 28 Jun, 2013 6:06 pm

Funny, I never see stories from Cuzzo about how ''the Cambo faithful lifted the team to victory''.
We had one there less than a week back.
Forgotten?
At least Farah mentioned it.

Seems theyve finally acknowledged a split in the fan base - thats a positive i guess

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Fri 28 Jun, 2013 6:13 pm

Jesus Christ.........awesome work finding something negative in a wonderful little write up.

Well done you clown.

Carn the tiges.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 28 Jun, 2013 6:28 pm

Thanks

Lovemytigers

Post by Lovemytigers » Fri 28 Jun, 2013 7:12 pm

innsaneink wrote:Funny, I never see stories from Cuzzo about how ''the Cambo faithful lifted the team to victory''.
Forgotten?

Seems theyve finally acknowledged a split in the fan base - thats a positive i guess
Actually the way I see it; they are talking about the previous Leichhardt game because the game this week is at Leichhardt. Plain and simple.

Makes no sense to talk about Campbelltown.

But I guess there are those who will always try to see a conspiracy...

Go Tigers!!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 28 Jun, 2013 7:30 pm

Lovemytigers wrote:
innsaneink wrote:Funny, I never see stories from Cuzzo about how ''the Cambo faithful lifted the team to victory''.
Forgotten?

Actually the way I see it; they are talking about the previous Leichhardt game because the game this week is at Leichhardt. Plain and simple.

Go Tigers!!
Youre right in a way
Because they know that many who go to LO dont go to Cambo...so yeh, Makes no sense to talk about Campbelltown.
Who's it aimed at?

Leichardt faithful?

or the Wests Tigers faithful?

All the factors described in the article were in our most recent win, but its overlooked.
Hes not looking at the big picture, and that saddens me

A teams most recent form is crucial to its attendance figures.

I find the article somewhat divisive, and this is from the club, I hesitated in posting because i knew the reaction it would recieve

shane2801

Post by shane2801 » Fri 28 Jun, 2013 7:55 pm

Don't worry Ink. Leichhardt wont be around too much longer hopefully. It's an atrocity that they charge people to walk into that joint. No amenities, no parking, The sooner they bulldoze the hovel the better. One home ground I say. Praise Jesus it wont be Leichhardt!
BLACK & WHITE...DYNAMITE!!!!!

Muffstar

Post by Muffstar » Fri 28 Jun, 2013 8:50 pm

shane2801 wrote:Don't worry Ink. Leichhardt wont be around too much longer hopefully. It's an atrocity that they charge people to walk into that joint. No amenities, no parking, The sooner they bulldoze the hovel the better. One home ground I say. Praise Jesus it wont be Leichhardt!
Yeah it will happen one day and it won't be LO nor CO, they will play at a stadium where if they don't make the 15K to break even it won't matter, so ANZ or Alliance would be my guess.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Fri 28 Jun, 2013 9:01 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Lovemytigers wrote:
Forgotten?

Go Tigers!!
Youre right in a way
Because they know that many who go to LO dont go to Cambo...so yeh, Makes no sense to talk about Campbelltown.
Who's it aimed at?

Leichardt faithful?

or the Wests Tigers faithful?

All the factors described in the article were in our most recent win, but its overlooked.
Hes not looking at the big picture, and that saddens me

A teams most recent form is crucial to its attendance figures.

I find the article somewhat divisive, and this is from the club, I hesitated in posting because i knew the reaction it would recieve
Yeah I was hoping all this crap would've ceased once Humphreys left, but alas, no :roll:
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Fri 28 Jun, 2013 9:29 pm

I don't go much on the sniping that occurs on here at times, WE are the WestsTigers, not the Magpies or Balmain. Our juniors started playing in combined competitions more than 30 years ago, so we have been together for a long time before the merger.

Ashfield may have some cash now, but if they did not merge they would be still be drowning in their tears with the Bears supporters. Chances are that the Tigers would not be around now either, certainly not in Sydney anyhow.

Now back to topic. Watched matches at Cambeltown, Lidcombe, Pratten Park, all other Sydney grounds, others in NSW and interstate. Whilst it certainly lacks in facilities and amenities, it more than makes up for it in other areas. The only venue that has matched the atmosphere of a full Leichhardt was Lang Park for SOO when Fatty was coaching during the Super League war. I have attended many SOO series, Bledisloe's, GF's (including the 108,000 plus stadium opening) etc,etc. IMO you just can't beat standing shoulder to shoulder on the hill with a great view and soaking up the atmosphere that oozes, and when coupled with a sunny Sunday afternoon, heaven.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 28 Jun, 2013 9:45 pm

It seems to me to be very narrow sighted marketing.

We all know sections of our fan base only attend ''their'' grounds.

This article to me seems to be preaching to the converted, its aimed at a section of our base, which really doesnt need to be targetted, other sections do

What crap are you referring to flippedy?

Formerguest: Youve missed the point completely....this is nothing about atmosphere

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Fri 28 Jun, 2013 9:56 pm

innsaneink wrote:It seems to me to be very narrow sighted marketing.

This article to me seems to be preaching to the converted, its aimed at a section of our base, which really doesnt need to be targetted, other sections do

The divisive article, Ink. There were a lot of Balmain/Leichhardt Oval fluff stories circulating when Humphreys was around. I believed he had an agenda and I was hoping things would be different now he is gone.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Sat 29 Jun, 2013 8:23 am

Flippedy wrote:
innsaneink wrote:It seems to me to be very narrow sighted marketing.

The divisive article, Ink. There were a lot of Balmain/Leichhardt Oval fluff stories circulating when Humphreys was around. I believed he had an agenda and I was hoping things would be different now he is gone.
It will always be our "groundhog day" so long as we have multiple home grounds.

I crave the day that we finally have just one home ground and that won't be LO or CSG. The governments stadium policy will mean we will play out of a central stadium, current or future, then all we'll hear is "gee I miss LO & CSG!"

Posted using RoarFEED 2013
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford