When Nofo bumped off Slater...

ImageImageImage
Sabre

Re: When Nofo bumped off Slater...

Post by Sabre » Mon 01 Jul, 2013 11:38 pm

rollingstone wrote: If you want to see this type of thuggery, go and watch ultimate fighting; that should be suitably prehistoric for you.
I don't understand this argument, just because one sport has a very high level of contact doesn't mean there is no place for it in other sports. By that argument you should be watching a sport void of all contact like Chess, right?

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Tue 02 Jul, 2013 7:36 am

Why were posts deleted from this topic?

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

rollingstone

Post by rollingstone » Tue 02 Jul, 2013 10:56 am

Sabre wrote:
rollingstone wrote: If you want to see this type of thuggery, go and watch ultimate fighting; that should be suitably prehistoric for you.
I don't understand this argument, just because one sport has a very high level of contact doesn't mean there is no place for it in other sports. By that argument you should be watching a sport void of all contact like Chess, right?
You most likely don't understand the argument because you have taken the last part in isolation. Earlier, I said that Rugby League should be seen as a contact sport but more and more as a game of skill. A contact sport doesn't have to include tactics which are dangerous to the players.

"Hits" and shoulder charges never used to be a part of this game but they were taken from American football which, increasingly, is showing up brain damage to the players. You don't need head contact to get brain damage and the sudden, unexpected impact from shoulder charges can set the brain rocking inside the skull, causing small bleeds and bruising. This can accumulate over time and players can end up with serious problems.

I don't believe that fans have any right to demand these tactics in the game, simply for our entertainment.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Tue 02 Jul, 2013 11:22 am

See where you're coming from but thing's like Koro's efforts to stop someone scoring shouldnt be a shoulder charge. He literally shoved the guy away with his arms and somehow got penalised for it.. Although slater wasnt penalised i reckon it should be a shoulder charge under these shoddy rules too.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

willow

Post by willow » Tue 02 Jul, 2013 11:54 am

Let's be clear here - personal insults will not be tolerated. Posts have been deleted due to this reason. Please don't escalate this.

rollingstone

Post by rollingstone » Tue 02 Jul, 2013 1:22 pm

pHyR3 wrote:See where you're coming from but thing's like Koro's efforts to stop someone scoring shouldnt be a shoulder charge. He literally shoved the guy away with his arms and somehow got penalised for it.. Although slater wasnt penalised i reckon it should be a shoulder charge under these shoddy rules too.
I agree.

rollingstone

Post by rollingstone » Tue 02 Jul, 2013 1:33 pm

willow wrote:Let's be clear here - personal insults will not be tolerated. Posts have been deleted due to this reason. Please don't escalate this.
Even though you don't appear as an "Administrator", I accept that you are. I went out of my way to avoid any personal insults but I did acknowledge the insult which was directed at me. I don't see how a general reflection on ultimate fighting audiences can be construed as personal and was deleted. Perhaps, on reflection, you may have served the debate better by just removing the offending parts instead of whole posts.

Anyway, I agree that debates should be conducted with reasoned arguments rather than insults and I will always attempt to do this.