Marshall

ImageImageImage
formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: Marshall

Post by formerguest » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 8:20 am

Andy666 wrote:Can i just point put that Benji brought up the point of loyalty and that he has been a big part of the club for 10 years.

What about the loyalty the Wests Tigers have shown him? He had 3 shoulder reconstructions and 2 Knee recos #correct me if im wrong!!!

But the fact is he has earnt half of his wage sitting on the sidelines after the tigers have fitted his major medical bill!! Surely he can take a little pay cut to repay the faith, the tigers took a massive chance on him and through the tigers he has achieved super star status. I love him as a player but surely he cannot be this greedy!! Personally i believe his manager is a massive part of the problem.

Go the tigers!!
The club is his employer and should look after him as there is no workers compensation for professional sportspeople.

Whilst certainly not overly impressed with his current form both on and off the field, the club did bring this upon themselves by offering an extension, and as such, I will not crucify him.

Andyvee

Post by Andyvee » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 8:38 am

I do feel sorry for Benji, but he does bring the justified criticism on himself. I have said it before, but Benji has been the most influential player at Wests after Robbie, in regards to momentum killers. He controls momentum with every decision he makes. He killed it on a few occasions yesterday.

He has been in the game long enough to learn from his mistakes, but for some reason he keeps making them. Not finding touch has been a trademark of his for years. The forward passes, passing out over touch etc happen way to many times for someone of his experience.

I do hope for his sake and the clubs sake, that he can turn it around. If he does leave, I hope it is for another code, as I couldn't imagine him playing against us.

tigermaniac

Post by tigermaniac » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 8:40 am

formerguest wrote:
Andy666 wrote:Can i just point put that Benji brought up the point of loyalty and that he has been a big part of the club for 10 years.

What about the loyalty the Wests Tigers have shown him? He had 3 shoulder reconstructions and 2 Knee recos #correct me if im wrong!!!

But the fact is he has earnt half of his wage sitting on the sidelines after the tigers have fitted his major medical bill!! Surely he can take a little pay cut to repay the faith, the tigers took a massive chance on him and through the tigers he has achieved super star status. I love him as a player but surely he cannot be this greedy!! Personally i believe his manager is a massive part of the problem.

Go the tigers!!
The club is his employer and should look after him as there is no workers compensation for professional sportspeople.

Whilst certainly not overly impressed with his current form both on and off the field, the club did bring this upon themselves by offering an extension, and as such, I will not crucify him.
What's this about workers comp, can't extend this offer just to one, let's look after all the players who might've broken a toe nail.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Tiger_heart

Post by Tiger_heart » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 8:49 am

And yet, this morning, for some, the brightest sun still shines on Benji...to quote "what a difference a day makes.."

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 8:56 am

Its amazing regardless how cut and dry situations can be, there are still do gooders who are willing to defend this guy. Lol workers comp? thats a new one. The bottom line is, he's been banging on about how much he loves the club and how he never wants to leave, well thats easy to say when you always get what you want and don't have to put that theory into practice but If he REALLY loved the club he'd be honest with them and himself about his form, acknowledge that he needs to improve, and the biggest thing, be reminded he has two yrs left on his current contract. Thats 24 months, 104 weeks, 730 days and be pretty much told in uncertain terms by the club that he isn't a priority for them atm as they need to focus on guys who are of a more immediate concern contract wise - Woods, Simona, Brooks etc. If he really loved the club and wasn't such an ego maniac with a ''me me me me me its all about me'' attitude he'd understand that and wait his turn. If he doesn't, well then let him go, and let him take all his do gooder white knights who feel the urge to defend his grubby behaviour with him.

Snake

Post by Snake » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 9:06 am

NEDKELLY wrote:WOW I cannot believe the hostility towards one footballer, and after reading all of the posts I am now convinced Benji is all of the following:
1. Jack the Ripper
2. O J Simpson
3. Ted Bundy
4. The Big Bad Wolf
5. Adolph Hitler

I counted 17 Footballers in West's Tigers Jerseys in tonight's game and yes the 5/8 threw a pass over the touchline and failed to find touch, but was he at fault when Fifita ran right up the middle and through the forwards to score?
Was he out-jumped by Lewis to score or was that Rowdy Lawrence?
Was it Benji or was it Robbie Farah that mis-kicked on the Cronulla line and it ricocheted off a player and the Sharks ran the full lenth of the field to score?
Was it Benji that missed the tackle on the Cronulla 2nd Rower to score in the second half or was that Curtis Sironen?
To quote a past American Tennis player "You guys can't be serious"? I hope he changes his mind and gets picked up by another NRL Club and the supporters who have bagged him on this thread end up eating humble pie when he runs the Tigers ragged just like another ex Tigers player did tonight.

Take an Asprin and have a good lie down and watch the replay without your "I hate Benji" glasses on.

My problem with Marshall is not most of his game ,its always been the same and will always be,my problem is when the pressure is on he goes to mush.
Not kicking out last night was just not acceptibable the game was there to be won ,the team responded to a dismal 1st half and going for the kill. Enter the million $$$$ man as with pressure situations of the past FAILURE.
I don,t think Marshall will last with Potter ...like chalk and cheese a mistake riddled player and a non mistake commanding coach . To me this is why it has blown up re contract I suspect Marshall wants out but hasn't,t the short and curlys to ask for a release just my opinion.

900large

Post by 900large » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 9:09 am

NEDKELLY wrote:WOW I cannot believe the hostility towards one footballer, and after reading all of the posts I am now convinced Benji is all of the following:
1. Jack the Ripper
2. O J Simpson
3. Ted Bundy
4. The Big Bad Wolf
5. Adolph Hitler

I counted 17 Footballers in West's Tigers Jerseys in tonight's game and yes the 5/8 threw a pass over the touchline and failed to find touch, but was he at fault when Fifita ran right up the middle and through the forwards to score?
Was he out-jumped by Lewis to score or was that Rowdy Lawrence?
Was it Benji or was it Robbie Farah that mis-kicked on the Cronulla line and it ricocheted off a player and the Sharks ran the full lenth of the field to score?
Was it Benji that missed the tackle on the Cronulla 2nd Rower to score in the second half or was that Curtis Sironen?

To quote a past American Tennis player "You guys can't be serious"? I hope he changes his mind and gets picked up by another NRL Club and the supporters who have bagged him on this thread end up eating humble pie when he runs the Tigers ragged just like another ex Tigers player did tonight.

Take an Asprin and have a good lie down and watch the replay without your "I hate Benji" glasses on.
1. Jack the Ripper
2. O J Simpson
3. Ted Bundy
4. The Big Bad Wolf
5. Adolph Hitler
Now that's a handy back line, though Jack the Ripper was always shaky under the high ball

900large

Post by 900large » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 9:20 am

At tge risk of getting punched, Lockyer is better than benji!

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 9:21 am

Ok so I've slept on last nights pathetic display and yes it was pathetic despite still being in the game with 70 mins gone. Benji was particularly bad and possibly cost us our one chance to win, so how can your marquee man who should be the one who is meant to be winning these games for you be commanding a huge amount of your cap? The answer is he can't.
I was pretty big on upgrading his contract for the further 2 years remaining and let his for dictate an extension but now having slept on it I'd pull the upgrade and tell him to re discover some form marquee form and then come back to the table you can't negotiate on 05- 10/11 form its 2013 that is all you should be judged on the past s the past thank you I respect the past but lets move forward.
Not moving forward is all that's wrong ith this club and it starts with Benji.

Mccarry

Post by Mccarry » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 9:37 am

I agree last night was not caused by Benji. Asking for an upgrade when for almost two years you have been as bad as everyone else? That doesn't make sense.

I do agree that there is far too much hate directed towards Benji. It is childish and a poor reflection of our fans. We all need to just accept this year is rebuilding. There will be ups and downs. Grow up.

Last week was awesome. We have it in us. We will grow from this

ragedmachine

Post by ragedmachine » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 10:58 am

Honestly, Marshall's EGO is the only reason why he does all that stupid stuff on the field week in week out.

He doesn't want to do the 'conventional' plays so that's why he has to live up to what he has been built on for the last 10 years. The problem is, he doesn't know what works for him anymore and oppositions have worked him out.

I watched Man of Steel last night at the movies.

I could honestly picture Marshall watching it thinking he is Clark Kent and he's been sent onto this planet to do flick passes and be the golden child.

See you later Benj. Thanks for the memories.

tigerbenji

Post by tigerbenji » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 11:12 am

Yep he made mistakes, but so did plenty of others, the effort in the First Half was shockinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng. Also the Refs made some blunders in the 2nd Half which didnt help us.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 11:16 am

Even him insisting on running out second behind Farah every week is a nod to his ego imo. Petty i know but just something that annoys me, to me it just typifies his attitude

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 12:18 pm

tigerbenji wrote:Yep he made mistakes, but so did plenty of others, the effort in the First Half was shockinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng. Also the Refs made some blunders in the 2nd Half which didnt help us.
Yeah but I think the point being made is that none of those players have asked for a 2 year extension on a contract that still has 2 years to run. Farah got a 4-year deal but his contract is up now and he is still producing consistently good rep-quality football.

There wouldn't be another player in the entire comp who is generating media about a 2016 contract whilst he is low on form (admitted by himself in public) and his team is outside the 8.

He needs to produce consistently excellent form that compels us to extend him long-term, not produce average / competent displays.

NEDKELLY

Post by NEDKELLY » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 1:35 pm

It has now been approximately 15 hours since Benji Marshall single handidly lost the game for the Wests Tigers against the Ti-Sharks! Now if any newspaper Journalist is worth his salt he would have been surfing this wonderful Fans Forum and be ready to punch out the following headlines in the Sunday papers:
1. Fans call for the instant sacking of Benji Marshall the $Million Wests Tigers playmaker !
or it could be;
2. Club Supporters urge Benji Marshall to take up the NZ Rugby Union offer as he single handidly cost the Wests Tigers a win against the Sharks.
or it could be;
3. Wests Tigers fans call for the head of their former superstar playmaker Benji Marshall!

Now if I was the Journalist my headline would read the following:

1. Phsycotic Wests Tigers fans catch an out of control Virus identified by medical experts as the "BENJI BUG"
or;
2. Crazed Wests Tigers supporters scream for the immediate removal of their superstar playmaker!

Now it is clear that after reading all of the posts about Benji it is definitely a lost cause if we believe the following posts:
[*] He has failed to find touch on 9 occasions over the past ??? years
[*] He can't tackle
[*] He is overpaid
[*] He looks dissinterested in many games
[*] He appears too much on Television and talks himself up far too much
[*] His mistake rate is worse than a park footballer and he should be sent back to NSW Cup

I know I have left out some doozie quotes but then I am sure there will be some smart cookie who will quickly remind me?

I think the above says it all so it is "OFF WITH BENJI'S HEAD" and bury all the wonderful memories of a former superstar who assisted (in a big way) to win the Wests Tigers a Premiership and also won the Golden Boot as the best footballer in the world a couple of years ago and oh I nearly forgot was instrumental in winning NZ the World Cup.

Forget his loyalty and the pain he suffered with those shocking shoulder injuries and let us just remind him of what a great and loyal club the Wests Tigers were in sticking by him in those months and years of his suffering. Now I understand that we have some great young kids coming through in Brooks & Moses etc who are looking like great players in the under 20's Toyota Cup but should we be reminded that the step up to NRL is HUUGE and who knows whether they will ever reach the Benji status?

Now is Marshall too old at 28/29 to ever contribute at the same level of the past? I personally believe his best football is ahead of him (injuries aside) and if we take Steve Menzies (former Sea Eagle and Australian player) as an example he is still playing good footy overseas at the age of 40. IMO we need to have Marshall and Farah both on the field guiding the Brooks, Moses, Sironen, Sue and Korribete etc over the next 5 years otherwise you are going throw these kids to the wolves.
Can we afford the kids as well as Benji well I hope we can and with the salary cap increase hopefully we can accommodate them all but please put your dissapointment aside and give this talented and proud Wests Tigers footballer a break as the comments in most cases look like pack mentatlity responses
Last edited by NEDKELLY on Sat 06 Jul, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 1:41 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:Even him insisting on running out second behind Farah every week is a nod to his ego imo. Petty i know but just something that annoys me, to me it just typifies his attitude
WOW. Just wow.
He's the second most experienced player at the club and a leader. But wow.

tigerbalm

Post by tigerbalm » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 1:55 pm

NEDKELLY wrote:It has now been approximately 15 hours since Benji Marshall single handidly lost the game for the Wests Tigers against the Ti-Sharks! Now if any newspaper Journalist is worth his salt he would have been surfing this wonderful Fans Forum and be ready to punch out the following headlines in the Sunday papers:
1. Fans call for the instant sacking of Benji Marshall the $Million Wests Tigers playmaker !
or it could be;
2. Club Supporters urge Benji Marshall to take up the NZ Rugby Union offer as he single handidly cost the Wests Tigers a win against the Sharks.
or it could be;
3. Wests Tigers fans call for the head of their former superstar playmaker Benji Marshall!

Now if I was the Journalist my headline would read the following:

1. Phsycotic Wests Tigers fans catch an out of control Virus identified by medical experts as the "BENJI BUG"
or;
2. Crazed Wests Tigers supporters scream for the immediate removal of their superstar playmaker!

Now it is clear that after reading all of the posts about Benji it is definitely a lost cause if we believe the following posts:
[*] He has failed to find touch on 15 occasions over the past ??? years
[*] He can't tackle
[*] He is overpaid
[*] He looks dissinterested in many games
[*] He appears too much on Television and talks himself up far too much
[*] His mistake rate is worse than a park footballer and he should be sent back to NSW Cup

I know I have left out some doozie quotes but then I am sure there will be some smart cookie who will quickly remind me?

I think the above says it all so it is "OFF WITH BENJI'S HEAD" and bury all the wonderful memories of a former superstar who assisted (in a big way) to win the Wests Tigers a Premiership and also won the Golden Boot as the best footballer in the world a couple of years ago and oh I nearly forgot was instrumental in winning NZ the World Cup.

Forget his loyalty and the pain he suffered with those shocking shoulder injuries and let us just remind him of what a great and loyal club the Wests Tigers were in sticking by him in those months and years of his suffering. Now I understand that we have some great young kids coming through in Brooks & Moses etc who are looking like great players in the under 20's Toyota Cup but should we be reminded that the step up to NRL is HUUGE and who knows whether they will ever reach the Benji status?

Now is Marshall too old at 28/29 to ever contribute at the same level of the past? I personally believe his best football is ahead of him (injuries aside) and if we take Steve Menzies (former Sea Eagle and Australian player) as an example he is still playing good footy overseas at the age of 40. IMO we need to have Marshall and Farah both on the field guiding the Brooks, Moses, Sironen, Sue and Korribete etc over the next 5 years otherwise you are going throw these kids to the wolves.
Can we afford the kids as well as Benji well I hope we can and with the salary cap increase hopefully we can accommodate them all but please put your dissapointment aside and give this talented and proud Wests Tigers footballer a break as the comments in most cases look like pack mentatlity responses

Fair enough.

So, by your logic, when have wests done enough by a former great? What point have they paid back the debt you seem to think the tigers owe benji? Will 4 years be enough? What if he asks for 2 more after that?

No ones asking you to pull down the benji collage you made that hangs on the back of your door. No one is asking you not to admire what he has achieved. But blindly following a player on past glories is costing the club on and off the field.

Truth is he's not that good. He is after money/contracts of players that are good. I thank him for what he's done for the club. But enoughs a enough.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 2:04 pm

Peaches wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:Even him insisting on running out second behind Farah every week is a nod to his ego imo. Petty i know but just something that annoys me, to me it just typifies his attitude
WOW. Just wow.
He's the second most experienced player at the club and a leader. But wow.

And?