Warriors wary of Marshall turning turmoil into attack

ImageImageImage
willow

Post by willow » Thu 18 Jul, 2013 7:55 am

July 18, 2013
Ben Stanley

Warriors centre Dane Nielsen is expecting a big performance from Benji Marshall at Leichhardt Oval on Friday night.

It has emerged this week that Marshall, a former Kiwis captain, has asked the Wests Tigers board for a release from the final two years of his contract - and has spoken to three Super Rugby franchises about playing with them next year.

Such an off-field distraction could unhinge any player - even one as affable and professional as Marshall - but Nielsen believes the Warriors will see the five-eighth firing when the two teams meet at the Tigers' spiritual home ground.

''He's not going to have his head down and worry about too much,'' Nielsen said. ''He's going to come out and play the best he can. He's been around for long enough now, and he knows what he's got to do for that side and that club.

''Something like this - it could work for them, it could work against them but I'm sure he'll be fired up for a big performance, and we know how good he can be when he's at his best.

''He can lead that team around to beat any side. [All that has gone on this week] doesn't change the way we prepare. We've just got to focus on ourselves and what we've been doing in the last few weeks.''

Marshall's chances of staying in the NRL seem unlikely with Super Rugby's Rebels, Waratahs and Blues all chasing his signature.

NRL chief executive Dave Smith even rang Marshall on Tuesday night in an attempt to keep him in the game.

''It's massive news for the NRL, and the Tigers as well,'' Nielsen said. ''He's been there for so long and he's been the face of the Tigers too. It's sad for them to be parting but he's still there for the rest of the year.''

Regardless of how Marshall fronts up on Friday night, the tired legs of Origin duo Robbie Farah and Aaron Woods could play a part in the Tigers' fortunes. Both took the field for NSW in the State of Origin decider at ANZ Stadium on Wednesday night and will have only 48 hours before they have to back up at club level.

Nielsen, who played three games for Queensland between 2011 and 2012, said backing up so quickly after Origin is always tough.

''It's a funny feeling,'' he said. ''I remember speaking to Cameron [Smith], Billy [Slater] and Cooper Cronk about it and they said it always feels funny because you don't get a week's preparation.

''Normally after Origin, or any big game, you usually get sore two or three days after - it's not always the next day. That's usually when you end up playing - when you are feeling it the most. It's a tough ask - but a bloke like Robbie is one of the toughest around. I don't think we'll see him any less combative [on Friday night].''

Coach Matthew Elliott reckons it's time the Warriors showed the hallmarks of a top-eight side. With eight games remaining, Elliott says his 11th-placed team need to improve in numerous areas if they are to secure a finals spot.

The Warriors' 30-13 loss to South Sydney in Perth on July 7 carried important lessons, Elliott said, most notably the Rabbitohs' work off the ball to create space for a superior kicking game.

''Their ground control, whether with the ball or defensively, was better than ours and their kicks were better than ours,'' the coach said. ''It's a progression we have to make if we're serious about doing well this season.''

Justo

Post by Justo » Thu 18 Jul, 2013 11:28 am

I know one thing. It will be rocks or diamonds. He's built a career around playing like that. And all the talk, chatter, quitting, releasing, sooks and tantrums isn't going to change that on Friday night.

Personally, I hope he does come out and has a blinder and does so for the rest of the season. So a few of us will be left wondering what could have been.

shane2801

Post by shane2801 » Thu 18 Jul, 2013 7:28 pm

I'll put my house in it it will be Rocks. The diamond mine shut in 2007.
BLACK & WHITE...DYNAMITE!!!!!

Eye Of Da Tiger

Post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 12:28 pm

Marshall does not look interested. Looks like his more intent on talking in the media than playing good footy.

willow

Post by willow » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 1:08 pm

shane2801 wrote:I'll put my house in it it will be Rocks. The diamond mine shut in 2007.
Guess you were not around to see him win the golden boot in 2010.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 1:15 pm

If the warriors are smart they will get up and in the face of woods every time he carries the ball. If you stop him you stop the WT

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 4:38 pm

TIGER wrote:If the warriors are smart they will get up and in the face of woods every time he carries the ball. If you stop him you stop the WT
Then we run him as a block/decoy two wide and dump it out the back, the holes will be there

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 4:50 pm

willow wrote: Guess you were not around to see him win the golden boot in 2010.
im so sick and tired of hearing about how he won the golden boot! i admit, i actually tipped him to win the dally m in (was it 2010?!), but the golden boot is only for the best performed player in international matches.

please stop using this as support for him playing well for the tigers!!!

fwiw, i think he will be just the same (as he has been all year) till seasons end: pretty ordinary. most likely will play with utmost freedom of mind as i dont think he give a sh!t.

come to think of it, could actually mean everything he tries could come off!!!

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 5:06 pm

turnstyle wrote:
willow wrote: Guess you were not around to see him win the golden boot in 2010.
im so sick and tired of hearing about how he won the golden boot! i admit, i actually tipped him to win the dally m in (was it 2010?!), but the golden boot is only for the best performed player in international matches.

please stop using this as support for him playing well for the tigers!!!

fwiw, i think he will be just the same (as he has been all year) till seasons end: pretty ordinary. most likely will play with utmost freedom of mind as i dont think he give a sh!t.

come to think of it, could actually mean everything he tries could come off!!!
Actually you're wrong, the golden boot is the best player in the world for that year voted by journo's, ex players etc. it is not just about international matches.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

willow

Post by willow » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 5:11 pm

The point is he was very, very good in 2010 and 2011.

Eye Of Da Tiger

Post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 9:51 pm

See now Nielsen nothing to worry about!

tigertales

Post by tigertales » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 10:13 pm

This post/article really should have read - TIGERS WARY OF MARSHALL TURNING ATTACK INTO TURMOIL.

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 10:18 pm

tigertales wrote:This post/article really should have read - TIGERS WARY OF MARSHALL TURNING ATTACK INTO TURMOIL.
Very good!!
The only genuine enthusiasm he showed all evening was in the post game conversations with the warriors players.
Sure wasnt feeling any pain from the season officially coming to an end...speaking of which,the end of the "relationship" cant come soon enough for either Benji or WT

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 11:41 pm

Man he was just dreadful tonight. It was really painful to watch. He's been terrible all year but tonight I think he just dropped another level, if that is even possible. Sad to see him end his career like this.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 11:46 pm

His first two touches were promising but soon after things changed , he's a fair weather player ,has been for a couple of seasons now and Potter must now make the ultimate decision no matter the cost

Wayne D

Post by Wayne D » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 11:49 pm

bring on Luke brooks nowwwwwwww

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 11:50 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:Man he was just dreadful tonight. It was really painful to watch. He's been terrible all year but tonight I think he just dropped another level, if that is even possible. Sad to see him end his career like this.
Sure was. Nothing i saw tonight has me disappointed with his decision and i'm confident that i won't see anything from him for the rest of the yr that changes my mind. still the same rookie mistakes,he's done. The rate he's regressed is seriously frightening and sad. Its better for all parties that he moves on.

TJL

Post by TJL » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 12:21 am

The thing the egomaniac doesn't get is, who is going to want him after playing so badly for so long? He has done the club a massive favour IMHO by freeing up money for those that will have a go.