Tedesco

ImageImageImage
Tigerpete

Re: Tedesco

Post by Tigerpete » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 2:09 pm

pHyR3 wrote:Yep, tigerpete. Speed isn't as big an issue with his ACL tear it seems. More the stepping and turning, which is how he tore it in the first place.
True. Though i was thinking more along the lines of the strength lost in the knee and surrounding areas due to the injury. Then of course the time being spent rehabbing the knee before months and months later being cleared to return to full training. He would've lost considerable strength in that entire leg, especially for a pro athlete. A lot of that would only come back due to the week in week out nature of our game. Hence why i believe he wouldn't have gone within coo-eee of Johnson back in April. I don't really expect him to get it back till next season, once he gets through another pre season of strength and conditioning.

shapmar

Post by shapmar » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 2:40 pm

Boonboon2 wrote:I think he has been really solid this year. He is great under the high ball, runs the ball back hard. I think many forget he is only 20 , he was coming back from a horrible injury this year and has been injured a few times throughout the year and is still playing with injuries in his first season of the first grade. He is also running off a key play maker who is horribly out of form and forwards who have lost the battle most weeks this year.

He is our best option this year and will only get better next year IMO
Very well put... Couldn't have said it myself, give the kid a chance, he's out "hearted" the veterans in pretty much every game he's played for us. Once experience develops, he's gunna be a cracker of a FB.
MOLTZEN..??!!! Are u serious... He shouldn't even have a bench spot. He'll never get another shot while Teddy's healthy. And thank god for that. We're gunna have a very young talented side with a sprinkling of experience.. I can't wait.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Illek

Post by Illek » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 2:49 pm

Tough situation. If moltzen was fit, id have him building up slowly in reggies as he isn't up to NRL just yet. Moltzen cops a lot of hate, and I don't think he was the long term solution, but he offered a lot in attack with benji, and was starting to take the bombs on the full.

Tedesco hasn't been up to the pace all year. He looked shaky on the wing, and I hoped he would adjust better when in his natural position, but just hasn't found his stride yet. He is coming back from a major injury and from all reports has a lot of potential so am willing to wait a bit longer to see if he can deliver, otherwise Id be tempted to play nofo or simona at fullback as both have plenty of experience at the back and have shown to be up to NRL. Ultimately though my opinion counts for nothing, and we will just have to see how patient Potter is and how good he is at unlocking that potential.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 3:06 pm

haberfield tiger wrote:Teddy is 20 will develop into a josh dugan type of player. People on here a way too harsh.
People aren't too harsh but comparisons like this are not what he requires. Tedesco hasn't looked great. Its that simple. First it was Slater and now Dugan. Tedesco is nowhere near these players. In most teams he would be struggling to hold a first grade spot.

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 3:35 pm

From what i've seen of Teddy, he has some characteristics which are similar to Billy but you guys are right, he's nowhere near Billy. He's his own player. He needs time to develop. My one goal for him this season was for him to get through the season unscathed. He's largely done this. He's missed maybe 4 game this year so i'd call that close to a pass mark. We need to give him time. He's nowhere near his potential yet. That will come with further experience.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 3:56 pm

Illek wrote: Tedesco hasn't been up to the pace all year. He looked shaky on the wing, and I hoped he would adjust better when in his natural position, but just hasn't found his stride yet. He is coming back from a major injury and from all reports has a lot of potential so am willing to wait a bit longer to see if he can deliver, otherwise Id be tempted to play nofo or simona at fullback as both have plenty of experience at the back and have shown to be up to NRL. Ultimately though my opinion counts for nothing, and we will just have to see how patient Potter is and how good he is at unlocking that potential.
Sure hasn't been killer in attack, but his support play has been good and he's shown he's got speed. Also, he's been strong under the high ball and put his body on the line in kick returns and just in general.

For example, last year I would have been great with Beau at fullback over the underperforming moltzen. Beau always looked good there, but not because he was great in attack but because he was safe under the high ball and ran it hard every time. Same with teddy, except that he is likely to develop a far better attacking game as he recovers, so more NRL expreience will help in the long term. With ryan, we knew he'd never be a GI or Barba in attack.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 4:07 pm

I think anyone who has has an ACL surgery would admit that moving in a straight line isnt an issue it's the turning ,twisting that plays with your head for a while

Keep the faith Tigers fans , he is doing all the basics well and when confidence returns he will gradually get more confidence to try more things in traffic

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 4:37 pm

pHyR3 wrote:
quintus wrote:Learn to read before you imply what I never said. What's he doing on the park if he is not fully fit? I'm saying that ALL positions within the team should be fought for every week. That should be our goal. In other words no more walk ups. That's one of the reasons that two good backs will be joining us next year as well as another big forward. What brilliant fullback dunce?
He's not fully fit, sure. Half our TEAM is not fully fit. You think Farah is 100% after origin? same with woodsy, teddy, buchanan etc. etc. I'm sure they're all carrying injuries. You can't rule em out if they're not fully fit else we'll be playing our ron massey team half the time.

Tedesco is recoverying from an ACL team, and that requires him building strength and most importantly confidence.

And all positions are fought every week except maybe hooker or 5/8. If tedesco put up a 2 or 3 genuinely poor games in a row I would not be surprised to see him dropped but he has barely had that many poor games all season. They have been solid, a couple of hic cups here and there but decent overall. He's 20! nofo, simona, and koro have all also had errors. So has farah.

I don't see any value in replacing a young hardworker putting his body on the line every week, performing decently all while recovering from an ACL tear which will keep getting better and better every week. He looked like he was jsut about to make 2 or 3 line breaks last night. needs a tiny bit more agility and he'll start doing well.

Edit: Also, he is bloody fast. 2nd fastest in the team i reckon behind koro. Did you see that chase on Johnson? didn't make it but still that's phenomonal on probably the 2nd or 3rd fastest guy in the NRL.
Are you talking about Tedesco or Moltzen.???

Listen my friend, if he is not fit then he should not be playing. End of story.

He is game, as everyone who is playing first grade is, however, he just has not got IT.

jimmyz

Post by jimmyz » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 4:56 pm

Teddy can have 2 bad years and people will still be saying give him time,ATM he is very ordinary and everything he does just looks awkward, i would hate to think if it was molten the crap that he would be copping.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 5:15 pm

tedesco

if you say so mate, but i reckon you'll be eating your words round 10 next year. I'm not saying he'll be an origin shoe-in, but he will be a good first grader.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 6:01 pm

I'm not seeing it, he's a lightweight he's got ticker I'll give him that but he's gonna have to be as good as Slater Bowen Preston in other areas of his game if he wants to survive and have a career in the nrl, I just can't see it he reminds me of Joel caine and McDonald always slipping over and just generally looking awkward or always looking like they will make a break but just rarely do once a hand gets laid on him his run ends.

jimmyz

Post by jimmyz » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 6:10 pm

pHyR3 wrote:tedesco

if you say so mate, but i reckon you'll be eating your words round 10 next year. I'm not saying he'll be an origin shoe-in, but he will be a good first grader.
I will be happy to eat my words but I honestly thing he will just be an average first grader. You compare him to Milford or Dylon walker from the rabbits now they are going to be superstars not this bloke who I'm still waiting for him to make his first line break.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 6:23 pm

With the year we have had as a side and the injury he is returning from I am more then happy for him to play out the year and get another off season under his belt

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 6:30 pm

I must admit I'm not seeing anything in Tedesco's game that warrants all the excitement and big wraps that many people on this forum were giving him early on. I know it's still early days as far as he is concerned and he is an improvement on Moltzen already, but the predicted 'next superstar' label does not fit at all well on him at this stage. Now everyone is talking up Brooks in the same manner as they were Tedesco - it's a recipe for huge disappointment, imo.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 6:51 pm

TIGER wrote:I'm not seeing it, he's a lightweight he's got ticker I'll give him that but he's gonna have to be as good as Slater Bowen Preston in other areas of his game if he wants to survive and have a career in the nrl, I just can't see it he reminds me of Joel caine and McDonald always slipping over and just generally looking awkward or always looking like they will make a break but just rarely do once a hand gets laid on him his run ends.
He's 1kg lighter than billy slater, and is averaging 3.4 tacklebreaks a game. Slater's at just under 4. Corey norman at 3.2, mcmanus 3.3.

Just wait till his fully recovered from his ACL.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 7:14 pm

mtd wrote:i agree jas.. i'd prefer him playing nsw cup this year coming back first grade next year..

only guy off contract worth going for is locke.

other person could be barba, but i doubt he'd leave the dogs unless going to QLD.
Tedesco is playing as well as could be expected this season of a bloke coming back from a major knee injury, with barely any 1st grade experience, behind a well beaten pack most weeks and is part of a massively underperforming team. He is also bravely playing on through his turf-toe injury.

However if he is not showing some improvement in attack towards the end of 2014 I would be reconsidering his role in the team. You need a strike weapon chiming into the attack from fullback and someone who is a gun support player up the middle of the field.

I would be making a massive play for Kevin Locke if he is off contract at the end of this season, he is a class player without a doubt. He would be a great player to have in our side, great under the high-ball, super fast, solid defender and brilliant in attack and support play.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 7:35 pm

Realistically he is our best option at FB now and next year. I think he's been ok this year. Certainly couldn't complain about his commitment level. I'm sure he'll be even better next year.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 11:03 pm

stevetiger wrote:
haberfield tiger wrote:Teddy is 20 will develop into a josh dugan type of player. People on here a way too harsh.
People aren't too harsh but comparisons like this are not what he requires. Tedesco hasn't looked great. Its that simple. First it was Slater and now Dugan. Tedesco is nowhere near these players. In most teams he would be struggling to hold a first grade spot.
Since when was Billy Slater dominating the comp in his first year? The guy dead set could not tackle, he was a borderline liability.

Such short short memories. If a kid has potential, give him a contract, a decent run and then make the call after a few seasons.

Everyone wants the next champion on the field and winning comps from game one. I fear for poor Brooksie the first time he plays crap in firsts.