What BS......Benji heralds end of an era says Zoe Marshall

ImageImageImage
Regan

What BS......Benji heralds end of an era says Zoe Marshall

Post by Regan » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 12:47 am

It's Friday night, I'm sick as a dog and snuggled on the couch, waiting for my best friends to come over with Japanese takeaway.

I want to be at Leichhardt Oval for Benj's last game at the famous Tigers venue.

But I have been sick since the end of our holiday in Bali and it has definitely been an interesting week.

I am anxious to see how the fans react to the change that is upon them. I hope they are all barracking for Benj like they have done for the past 11 years.

The montage that Channel Nine puts together almost brings a tear to my eye.

The skills of my husband, combined with his statements over the past week, make me realise this really is the end of an era. Kids are holding up signs thanking him for all he has given the club.

The Tigers' supporters are doing what they have always done. They stick together, all for one and one for all.

Brad Fittler commentates: "Benji has been the most entertaining five-eighth NRL has ever had." He adds how "he has changed the game and that he has had a massive impact." Wally Lewis agreed, saying: "that one of the biggest dangers is the game has lost a player that so many children idolise. Ask any young kid in a backyard what they're doing, and it's always the Benji Marshall skills the youngsters are trying to perform."

I settle in more comfortable to watch the next 80 minutes. I am humbled to see an awesome crowd is lifting my husband.

One of my closest friends, Claudia, is a mad fan. She was the friend who said "it would never last", when I told her I was dating Benj.

I called her after the game. "The people came tonight for Benji," she said. "Leichhardt was full of love. Everyone had so much gratitude and realistically, as a Tiger supporter, nobody was going to the match looking for a win. They went to honour what Benji has done for the club.

"I know sitting amongst me on the hill there were fans reflecting on all the magic Benji brought to the game.

"People know I know him through you, and they are bagging him for this or that, but he is a Tiger. He chose to be Tiger for life. Any real Tigers supporter will feel that in their gut and love him for that. The beauty he brought to the game - I'm not happy to see him leave. If he is going to leave, at least it's as a Tiger.

"I reflected back on all the other Tigers legends.

"He is a Tigers legend. I have no idea how horrid it would feel for him."

This is coming from my very close friend who was a Tiger supporter since she was 12 years old (she is now 35).

She tells me: "I know you don't get it, Zo, what it means to fans like us. I looked at his face, all the s*** that's been said, doesn't matter. He is true to you, his family, himself, and his jersey that's his club.

"Anyone wants to say he's a traitor, doesn't know f . . k all about football.

"I'm proud as punch, throughout his whole time at the Tigers. I hated him at times for his crazy ass ways, but that's what made him what he was. It was a love-hate relationship.

"The only reason a die-hard league fan will watch union is to watch Benji play and he will kill it."

Fan or no fan, I definitely agree with her there.

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 6:44 am

Hopefully Zoe can become just as famous as Benji (blah!!!!!!)

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Frank the tank

Post by Frank the tank » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 7:16 am

This is a gee up, right?
I'm not a complete idiot.............there are some pieces missing!

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 7:27 am

You blokes are kidding yourself if you don't think it is the end of an era.

Listen she had to write something and its not a bad job.....a bit gushing and cringe worthy, but what did you expect her to write?

They are trying to create a narrative that will help protect Benji's rugby league legacy (and post career earning potential) ie. that Benji has been loyal to the Tigers and was dudded.

The reality is that the Tigers were exceedingly generous and no club in rugby league would offer Benji anything like what the Tigers were willing to pay. Benji has had a dummy spit because he didn't get what he wanted from the Tigers....I hope they have their house paid off because I foresee a huge drop in Benji's career earnings when the market gets to decide his value.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 9:10 am

larrycorowa wrote:The reality is that the Tigers were exceedingly generous and no club in rugby league would offer Benji anything like what the Tigers were willing to pay. Benji has had a dummy spit because he didn't get what he wanted from the Tigers....I hope they have their house paid off because I foresee a huge drop in Benji's career earnings when the market gets to decide his value.
100% correct. I love Benji and will never forget how good he has been to the Tigers but I hope they aren't planning too many more trips to Bali.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 9:52 am

"realistically, as a Tiger supporter, nobody was going to the match looking for a win."

Her friend Claudia is a moron

galea#11

Post by galea#11 » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 9:58 am

Yes he is a tigers legend but it has past him now . He is not the player he was when he was 22 .
How long has he been with this girl ? His football has really dropped off last couple of yrs ?

russelldp

Post by russelldp » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 10:41 am

galea#11 wrote: How long has he been with this girl ? His football has really dropped off last couple of yrs ?

Oh, please dont go there???!!!! :pray:

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 10:44 am

larrycorowa wrote:You blokes are kidding yourself if you don't think it is the end of an era.

Listen she had to write something and its not a bad job.....a bit gushing and cringe worthy, but what did you expect her to write?

They are trying to create a narrative that will help protect Benji's rugby league legacy (and post career earning potential) ie. that Benji has been loyal to the Tigers and was dudded.

The reality is that the Tigers were exceedingly generous and no club in rugby league would offer Benji anything like what the Tigers were willing to pay. Benji has had a dummy spit because he didn't get what he wanted from the Tigers....I hope they have their house paid off because I foresee a huge drop in Benji's career earnings when the market gets to decide his value.
Why does she have tl write anything at all? who is she? just another person whose gotten a job due to a personal relationship she has. People like her are shameless.
Last edited by GNR4LIFE on Sun 21 Jul, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 10:46 am

How much of a suck up is her friend...

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 5:54 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
larrycorowa wrote:You blokes are kidding yourself if you don't think it is the end of an era.

Why does she have tl write anything at all? who is she? just another person whose gotten a job due to a personal relationship she has. People like her are shameless.
You have no idea who she is yet you criticise her. You know nothing about her past life or what she has achieved BEFORE meeting Marshall, yet you still criticise her - nice :roll:
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

Gazman

Post by Gazman » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 6:07 pm

Its a pity as a forum we cant let the Benji Topics finish with some dignity. Yes he was loved by many a fan me inclusive and yet at the same time scorned by others. I agree his time was up with the club, but the fact he has kissed his contract goodbye of his own free will with no replacement in place has left me with a greater admiration for his character. His mentor Tim Sheens in fact could take a leaf out of Benjis book. So irrespective what I think of his form this year or likely form for the rest of the season, I think he has done the best for the club at his expense and deserves some cudos from forum members for this.

T-REXX

Post by T-REXX » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 6:24 pm

Gazman wrote:Its a pity as a forum we cant let the Benji Topics finish with some dignity. Yes he was loved by many a fan me inclusive and yet at the same time scorned by others. I agree his time was up with the club, but the fact he has kissed his contract goodbye of his own free will with no replacement in place has left me with a greater admiration for his character. His mentor Tim Sheens in fact could take a leaf out of Benjis book. So irrespective what I think of his form this year or likely form for the rest of the season, I think he has done the best for the club at his expense and deserves some cudos from forum members for this.
It's July and sheens still cops it. 2017 should see a slow decline in the amount if threads about benji.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 6:57 pm

People still harp on about 1908, and 1989.

But you wouldnt understand what being a footy fan is about

T-REXX

Post by T-REXX » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 7:08 pm

innsaneink wrote:People still harp on about 1908, and 1989.

But you wouldnt understand what being a footy fan is about
No I wasn't around in 1908 like u mark lol.

We can be fans without the need to harp on things. But some people just can't let things go. Mmmmmmm

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 8:39 pm

smeghead wrote:"realistically, as a Tiger supporter, nobody was going to the match looking for a win."

Her friend Claudia is a moron
Thats the part that p***ed me off too Smeg. Shows no sense of appreciation for the importance of the match to the fate of the Tiger's season 2013.

strrretch

Post by strrretch » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 9:11 pm

Quite often when you read a player has married, it is not unusual to see them clean up their act, become more solid, responsible, and hence more often than not it is reflected in their playing careers.
Not so in this case. Coincidence? Maybe

reyre2000

Post by reyre2000 » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 9:49 pm

:roll
Best laugh ive had reading that since Benji was benched. Theres about 12 things wrong in that piece of tripe.

Firstly who the hell cares what his misses thinks and why is she writing articles trying to justify what went down when we all know the truth of Benji playing like crap since 2006 and is only leaving for money. He doesnt give a toot about his beloved club, just the clubs coffers. If he did, he would at least get his jersey dirty every week and be prepared to be payed a fair salary a year to allow the juniors to come through the ranks.

Secondly, this Claudia character must be just that. A character made up to get some of the lame articles points across cause nobody could be such a dumb a## to say things like "realistically, as a Tiger supporter, nobody was going to the match looking for a win." I sure as hell thought we'd win. firstly cause im a tigers fan and secondly cause it was benjis day to put the knockers in their place. Instead, all he did was prove everybody right, that he has been plying like a busted and deserves to get booted off the team ASAP.

Thirdly, who the hell gets their friends to come over with japanese takeaway? im into my 4th decade on this earth and have never heard or read those words uttered before!

Fourthly - oh forget it, just too much crap to worry writing about. :deadhorse:
by alexaki » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:23 pm
"you are obviously not a boomer or gen x"
.................ageists should be banned from this forum