Cheer up Wests Tigers fans: the silvertails are coming

ImageImageImage
GNR4LIFE

Cheer up Wests Tigers fans: the silvertails are coming

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 2:11 pm

THE last Wests Tigers game at Campbelltown for this year sees Manly come to town for the first time since 1998.

To put that in perspective: back then Brett Hodgson was a young Magpies halfback starting to make a name for himself for his toughness, and he lined up against the current Manly coach, Geoff Toovey.

John Hopoate and Terry Hill were the centres for the Sea Eagles.

It's been that long.

Like many Wests fans, I love to hate Manly. It's been bred into me.

I was told the silvertails used to steal our players and bait them by telling Wests players they could enjoy "the better lifestyle on the northern beaches".

I also think Manly are the dirtiest team in the NRL and I barrack for the Tigers and anyone playing the silvertails.

So I can't wait to be there on Monday to cheer on the Tigers and give it to the Eagles.

With sadness, it's Benji Marshall's last game here.

But the young players the club will be able to keep with Benji leaving is the silver lining of the situation.

Players such as Tim Simona — who inked a new deal last week for a further two years.

Any one of his individual tries in the past few weeks would make the career highlight reel of any player. Let alone three of them.

Once again, last Friday, when the Tigers needed something special, it was Simona who delivered.

A break down the sideline, a chip and chase and the speed shown to be first to the ball was thrilling to watch and almost impossible to stop.

With him, David Nofouluma and Marika Koroibete all now signed up for a few years, the Tigers' outside backs are looking as strong as they ever have.

Hopefully the Campbelltown faithful will see another special try from Simona this Monday night.

And hopefully a big crowd will be on hand to see it.

Benji deserves it and the Tigers need it.

See you all there.

http://www.macarthuradvertiser.com.au/s ... re-coming/

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 2:15 pm

Its Wednesday and I'm yet to see WT's acknowledge the fact that its Benji's last C-town game like they acknowledged his last LO game last week. It will be a slap in the face if they don't. At the end of the day the only ones they are hurting are themselves through not wanting to promote.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 3:07 pm

Can we remove most of the lights & hose the dressing sheds, turn off the hot water too

I guess it being a MNF game they dont wanna push it too early.

Frank the tank

Post by Frank the tank » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 3:27 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:Its Wednesday and I'm yet to see WT's acknowledge the fact that its Benji's last C-town game like they acknowledged his last LO game last week. It will be a slap in the face if they don't. At the end of the day the only ones they are hurting are themselves through not wanting to promote.
Yep, it sure would be a big fat slap In the face...........lets see what happens. I bet nothing.

Either way I hate manly, I hope they all break their legs getting off the bus.
I'm not a complete idiot.............there are some pieces missing!

wtigers

Post by wtigers » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 6:23 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:Its Wednesday and I'm yet to see WT's acknowledge the fact that its Benji's last C-town game like they acknowledged his last LO game last week. It will be a slap in the face if they don't. At the end of the day the only ones they are hurting are themselves through not wanting to promote.
I agree that they need to promote this more, but Leichhardt is viewed as the Tigers "spiritual" home ground more (which I don't agree with by the way. I think they should be treated equally) because Leichhardt was used by the Tigers since the 30s, whereas C-Town started being used in the 80s. I think it's more of a historical thing rather than a bias thing. Either way, they're doing it badly.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 6:31 pm

wtigers wrote:
I agree that they need to promote this more, but Leichhardt is viewed as the Tigers "spiritual" home ground more (which I don't agree with by the way. I think they should be treated equally) because Leichhardt was used by the Tigers since the 30s, whereas C-Town started being used in the 80s. I think it's more of a historical thing rather than a bias thing. Either way, they're doing it badly.

Some of Marshall's greatest moments have been at Ctown:
His debut
the game where he single handedly beat Newcastle on his own in the second half in about 09 i think it was
His 50m field goal

As far WT's go, the team that people always push at being a separate entity to Wests and Balmain, LO is no more of a spiritual home than C-town as they have used both grounds equally since their inception.

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 7:50 pm

For those of you who hold the Leichhardt/Campbelltown, Wests/Balmain split aloft, I fear you live in a bubble. Outside no one cares. We are the Wests Tigers. How can the teams most ardent supporters be their most problematic detractors?

wtigers

Post by wtigers » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 7:55 pm

tigergirlz wrote:For those of you who hold the Leichhardt/Campbelltown, Wests/Balmain split aloft, I fear you live in a bubble. Outside no one cares. We are the Wests Tigers. How can the teams most ardent supporters be their most problematic detractors?

I agree with that, I just think in an environment that has been known to be unstable (the whole split) an equal treatment should be sought out.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 7:56 pm

tigergirlz wrote:For those of you who hold the Leichhardt/Campbelltown, Wests/Balmain split aloft, I fear you live in a bubble. Outside no one cares. We are the Wests Tigers. How can the teams most ardent supporters be their most problematic detractors?

Technically what i said in my last post about both grounds being of equal significance is correct. If anyone disagrees then they are the ones in the bubble.

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 7:59 pm

Don't doubt the facts, just wonder their importance.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 8:13 pm

If and i'm going to say ''IF'' the club doesn't acknowledge his last game this week like they did last week then how isn't that important. It would be a slap in the face.

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 8:48 pm

This is not the "WEEK" of the big news, not his first game after the "ANNOUNCEMENT" and we are coming 15th. Benji may have to get used to the "who cares" hangover

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 8:54 pm

tigergirlz wrote:This is not the "WEEK" of the big news, not his first game after the "ANNOUNCEMENT" and we are coming 15th. Benji may have to get used to the "who cares" hangover

If it were reversed and we were playing at LO this week you don't think the club would make a big deal of it? yeah right

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 8:59 pm

On the larger Rugby League arena - no

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 9:10 pm

I'm not talking about the greater RL community and i never have been, im not sure how that got brought into it. I'm talking about the what the club itself should be doing.

Post by Guest » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 9:10 pm

tigergirlz wrote:This is not the "WEEK" of the big news, not his first game after the "ANNOUNCEMENT" and we are coming 15th. Benji may have to get used to the "who cares" hangover

It's nothing to do with Benji having to get used to it.
The the club itself should be capitalising on his announcement to pull the crowd in as they did at LO.
Unfortunately it does work like that !

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 9:13 pm

And how can the Wests Tigers ignite general public passion for a Monday night game involving a 15th place team?

mtd

Post by mtd » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 9:22 pm

manly 20+..