Liam the pencil

ImageImageImage
innsaneink

Liam the pencil

Post by innsaneink » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 6:01 pm

Robbie Farah remembers the days when Liam Fulton looked like ‘a pencil’.

It was back in 2002 when Farah was the Balmain Tigers captain and Fulton was the Magpies captain in the NSWRL SG Ball (U18s) competition.

“He used to wear cheap blue headgear. We called him the pencil. He looked like a skinny little kid with a blue rubber on his head,’’ Farah laughed.

“We beat them in round one and they went on to win the premiership without losing another game that year but we only played them once.

“There was a great rivalry there. Liam and Bryce Gibbs used to give it to me and they hated playing against me because I was a competitive little bugger. They used to try and get under my skin but it never worked.”

The following year, Farah and Fulton made their NRL debuts for Wests Tigers and have shared many special memories since, including the 2005 premiership.

They will create another new moment this Monday night at Campbelltown Sports Stadium against Manly when Farah plays his 200th club game and Fulton his 150th.

“To be honest, Liam’s 150th is just as big a highlight as mine. He is a player I love playing with. Liam is a great friend and I’m really honoured and privileged to be able to share that milestone with him,’’ Farah said.

“He is a quality player who has won a premiership, played City Origin, and in the All Stars game. If Liam had an extra six or seven kilos on him, he would be a regular in the NSW side.

“When it comes to consistency and reliability, whether he plays back-row, hooker or five-eighth, you just know Liam is going to do the job.

“Liam has got the biggest heart. He is tough, plays well above his weight, and never takes a backwards step. He regularly wins the players’ players awards. “

Fulton said he hasn’t come across a more determined player than the NSW Origin hooker.

“Robbie hates losing. His will power to win is amazing and he drives that into the players,’’ Fulton said.

“He is a true leader and is the player you want to play with every week because he always gives 100 per cent. He is a winner.”

The match against Manly also marks the last home game at Campbelltown for departing players Blake Ayshford and Benji Marshall.

Young members may not remember Liam once had hair, and began first grade wearing a blue headgear before Sheens told him ''no headgear''

underdog

Post by underdog » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 6:26 pm

Sheens - "No headgear"

What a tool....

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 6:45 pm

He should be hitting 200 games if it wasn't for the yr after the GF when he did his shoulder, then when he was forced to play in England due to the cap. He's had some bad luck.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 6:59 pm

You can count the bad games Fulton has turned in on one hand and like a good red gets better every year. Its pity we dont have a few more like him

JasTIGERS

Post by JasTIGERS » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 7:13 pm

I can't even imagine him with head gear

Frank the tank

Post by Frank the tank » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 7:22 pm

I've always liked this bloke. Great effort week in week out. Consistently in the 3-2-1. I'm very happy we managed to hang on to him for a few more years.

Go you pencil.
I'm not a complete idiot.............there are some pieces missing!

Eye Of Da Tiger

Post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 8:04 pm

His got to dart wearing it again.Even for a g up lol

cunno

Post by cunno » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 8:13 pm

He plays like a sharp pencil, full of lead toughness, well done Liam and congratulations on an important milestone come Monday night and by the way do you best to rub out the manly attack.

pattyferg

Post by pattyferg » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 11:42 pm

Great picture of him. Will go down as a great clubman and a tiger legend.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 12:36 am

Fantastic club man , never gets the wraps from the media that he deserves . Fantastic player , I had a smile from ear to ear when we signed him up for a further 3 years , while others hear were throwing him in the gutter.
Congrats mate and hoping for many more.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 7:00 am

legend!
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

bob56

Post by bob56 » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 8:07 pm

Liam was captain of West S.G.Ball team but Robbie was not captain of Balmain. It was infact No. 6 David Mirando & for the whole season.

Sorry to spoil the good story.

BIG AL

Post by BIG AL » Sat 27 Jul, 2013 7:11 am

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story Bob.

Demps

Post by Demps » Sat 27 Jul, 2013 5:47 pm

Good bloke.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

cunno

Post by cunno » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:50 pm

played his guts out again tonight

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:56 pm

underdog wrote:Sheens - "No headgear"

What a tool....
I was watching a clip of Farah talking about his debut and he said that Sheens said he was in the team under the condition that Robbie get rid of his white boots. Farah had to colour them in with texter.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... =public_js

Post by Guest » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 11:00 pm

bob56 wrote:Liam was captain of West S.G.Ball team but Robbie was not captain of Balmain. It was infact No. 6 David Mirando & for the whole season.

Sorry to spoil the good story.
Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Goose

Post by Goose » Tue 30 Jul, 2013 12:19 pm

very whole hearted player, good at what he does.

When he is finished he will certainly know he made the most of his ability and will have no regrets in that department