Did we really play that bad?

ImageImageImage
Richo277

Re: Did we really play that bad?

Post by Richo277 » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 9:52 pm

Hi guys

I'm new to the forum although have been reading as a guest for years and its just good to see that most of you seem to see the same blatantly obvious mistakes/poor judgement made both on the field and in the front office so I thought I would register and join the conversations

Just a couple of things out of tonight that I still think was one that stupid mistakes cost us as oppossed to Manly going that well but in fairness they were good enough to capitalise on anyway i wouldn't mind seeing other people's thoughts on the following -

What has gone wrong with Anasta ? somewhere over the last off season he has truly lost it, his ball handling and passing has been terrible all year but tonight would have to have been one of his career worst Potter should have sent the hook out and whist he was there snagged Ayshford as well he must already be at Cronulla in his mind and he should be playing state cup for the remainder of the year

Also something that also puzzles me with Potter who I do have some time for but why he seems to keep one or more on the bench for so long until bringing them puzzles me tonight it was Sirro,s turn I had assumed he was out injured hence the Anasta and Marshall horror show that we saw tonight I still can't see how Marshall can even think he could be successful in Rugby given the last few performances he has put in, but back onto Sirro why would you keep your starting half on the bench until the game was for in reality over? but didn't he change the momentum of the game when he did get on

Another observation or question to the forum does young Teddy seem to slip over more than the average player or is it just me not sure what boots he is using but they must have wheels on the bottom may be due to him going flat out at everything but I think that is also his positional pay catches him out therefore he is having to rush at everything

On the positive side how good are our youngsters those wingers are sensational the young forwards Sue, Ava, Buchanan and tonight BMM and Blair as well had a real go as we'll and you can see the difference that having a bit size in big Keithy makes to the go forward

I think 2014 will be better and will build towards a big 2015 given the maturity that these young guys will have by then and then the salary cap relief from cutting the sheens inspired deadwood and paying off cronullas roster that then should allow us to add any extra class we need.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 9:54 pm

Like I said in the live game thread, Souths or Easts would have put 40 past Manly tonight. We handed them points despite a tonne of possession and repeat sets and still got 30 odd points put past us.

Manly were pretty ordinary I thought, we were worse.
And the sky is filled with light, can you see it?
And the black is really white, if you believe it.
And the longing that you feel, you know none of this is real;
You will find a better place, in this twilight...

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:07 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:Just too many fundamental errors tonight. Passes hitting the ground, incorrect play the balls. Just dumb mistakes killed us. We had momentum a few times and then just killed ourselves.
Agree with Hybrid... The simple errors killed us!

I was really impressed with alot of aspects out there tonight, and while i nderstand some of you are still caught up in the emotion of it all, I reckon we played worse last week.

Now the season is over, I'd like to see guys like Teddy, Curtis and Lawrence start there off season to ensure they don't pick up anymore Injuries. All 3 need a good off season to be ready to fire in 2014!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

galea#11

Post by galea#11 » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:09 pm

Teddy needs to put weight on he looks fragile .
Oppositions know they just need to hang in the game slow it down and cop our minimal pressure and we will make multiple mistakes and give away the game . Why does so much ball go to ground and how do we make mistakes playing the ball.

BodhiTiger

Post by BodhiTiger » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:11 pm

Richo277 wrote:Hi guys

I'm new to the forum although have been reading as a guest for years and its just good to see that most of you seem to see the same blatantly obvious mistakes/poor judgement made both on the field and in the front office so I thought I would register and join the conversations

Just a couple of things out of tonight that I still think was one that stupid mistakes cost us as oppossed to Manly going that well but in fairness they were good enough to capitalise on anyway i wouldn't mind seeing other people's thoughts on the following -

What has gone wrong with Anasta ? somewhere over the last off season he has truly lost it, his ball handling and passing has been terrible all year but tonight would have to have been one of his career worst Potter should have sent the hook out and whist he was there snagged Ayshford as well he must already be at Cronulla in his mind and he should be playing state cup for the remainder of the year

Also something that also puzzles me with Potter who I do have some time for but why he seems to keep one or more on the bench for so long until bringing them puzzles me tonight it was Sirro,s turn I had assumed he was out injured hence the Anasta and Marshall horror show that we saw tonight I still can't see how Marshall can even think he could be successful in Rugby given the last few performances he has put in, but back onto Sirro why would you keep your starting half on the bench until the game was for in reality over? but didn't he change the momentum of the game when he did get on

Another observation or question to the forum does young Teddy seem to slip over more than the average player or is it just me not sure what boots he is using but they must have wheels on the bottom may be due to him going flat out at everything but I think that is also his positional pay catches him out therefore he is having to rush at everything

On the positive side how good are our youngsters those wingers are sensational the young forwards Sue, Ava, Buchanan and tonight BMM and Blair as well had a real go as we'll and you can see the difference that having a bit size in big Keithy makes to the go forward

I think 2014 will be better and will build towards a big 2015 given the maturity that these young guys will have by then and then the salary cap relief from cutting the sheens inspired deadwood and paying off cronullas roster that then should allow us to add any extra class we need.
Great post!
A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:13 pm

We made 12 errors and gave away 7 penalties. Manly only made 8 errors but gave away 11 penalties so fairly even as far as handing over the ball. Also virtually even in missed tackles 25-23 . We had 2 tries denied by the video (1fairly 1 not IMO) but both chances where we could of scored. They scored 2 long distance tries off loose passes on their line from Anasta , if they both go to hand we score off 1 and stop them scoring off 2 and the score is 24 all. We lost in the key moments but with a young side against one of the best teams in the comp that is to be expected

Eye Of Da Tiger

Post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:19 pm

One team got 100% of the 50/50 calls and some piggy backs out of their own half . In saying that it may have been closer but the better team still would of won and that wasn't us

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:22 pm

Richo277 wrote:Hi guys

Great post Richo; nice to hear your thoughts with which I largely agree.

I thought that overall tonight was a positive night. Most of the young guys went well and some of the players we will be losing shortly went less well. BMM and Sirro were superb when injected into the game and Blair continues to improve (where has this guy been for the first season and a half?).

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:23 pm

tigergirlz wrote:We look like a team that lacks cohesion. No real structure in attack

Posted using RoarFEED 2013
I blame the starting 1/2 and 5/8 combination for that. They showed no initiative throughout the match. As the wooden spoon looks to be safely in Parra's keeping I think it is time to bring either Brooks or Moses into first grade. Koroboite may be ready to start next week so putting him on the wing, dropping either Ayshyford or Lawrence and playing Simona at centre would also improve our attack.

Eye Of Da Tiger

Post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:44 pm

Newtown wrote:
tigergirlz wrote:We look like a team that lacks cohesion. No real structure in attack

I blame the starting 1/2 and 5/8 combination for that. They showed no initiative throughout the match. As the wooden spoon looks to be safely in Parra's keeping I think it is time to bring either Brooks or Moses into first grade. Koroboite may be ready to start next week so putting him on the wing, dropping either Ayshyford or Lawrence and playing Simona at centre would also improve our attack.
That sounds like to Tigers of old all attack and very little defence. I'm not saying it in a bad way either I miss those days of brilliance in attack. It won us a grand final

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Tue 30 Jul, 2013 8:47 am

For 10 minutes they showed they were a forward pack that can match it with any team. Sironen, BMM and Galloway were tearing Manly apart and we scored two soft tries that involved a total of just 3 passes. Simple, direct play following by high percentage execution plays.

However it was then 28-18 and they reverted to high risk, low percentage, sideline to sideline rubbish and the errors ensued.

So.......when Wests are behind by a large margin, they play the percentages and when the came is close, they play high risk. Interesting....

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Tue 30 Jul, 2013 9:26 am

We were the Wests Tigers we have all come to know and be frustrated by

On the right side of a big penalty count and great possession in their red zone and our halves were utterly inept and it killed us

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 30 Jul, 2013 9:33 am

Gary Bakerloo wrote:For 10 minutes they showed they were a forward pack that can match it with any team. Sironen, BMM and Galloway were tearing Manly apart and we scored two soft tries that involved a total of just 3 passes. Simple, direct play following by high percentage execution plays.

However it was then 28-18 and they reverted to high risk, low percentage, sideline to sideline rubbish and the errors ensued.

So.......when Wests are behind by a large margin, they play the percentages and when the came is close, they play high risk. Interesting....
I understand what you are saying , but rugby league games go for slightly longer than 10 minutes Gary and until we can learn to stick with the game plan for 80 we will see many results like this v the Top 4 sides

If I was Potter , any player who didn't stick to the game plan would be sitting on the bench or playing NSW Cup and if that included Farah ,Woods, Keefy, Benji whoever so be it

Time to take no prisoners Mick ,mice or men ,mice or men

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Tue 30 Jul, 2013 11:59 am

Gary, for the life of me, couldn't understand when we got it back to 28-18 we reverted to trick plays with Farah being the no. 1 culprit. We were tearing Manly apart down the middle and the next thing, Farah was running down narrow blind sides and trying chip kicks. Didn't help that Anasta was veering across field every-time he had the ball.

Obviously we were creating space on the left, but only because we were making metres up the middle. As soon as we forgot about this we played into Manly's hands.

Ashyford needs to be dropped and Anasta should be told to retire (front office role). BMM needs to play more minutes. Marshall needs to be told not to kick with Farah responsible for all 5th tackle plays.

Let's face it they were like chooks with no heads for most of the game. Can't understand why you would want to break the 6/7 combo unless it was to prove a point to Anasta. Whatever the case, that's not the way to handle things. If Potter was not happy with Anasta'a comments send him to NSW cup to prove he was up to being a NRL #7, don't penalise the side to prove a point.

What a disaster of a season.

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Tue 30 Jul, 2013 12:09 pm

larrycorowa wrote:Gary, for the life of me, couldn't understand when we got it back to 28-18 we reverted to trick plays with Farah being the no. 1 culprit. We were tearing Manly apart down the middle and the next thing, Farah was running down narrow blind sides and trying chip kicks. Didn't help that Anasta was veering across field every-time he had the ball.

Obviously we were creating space on the left, but only because we were making metres up the middle. As soon as we forgot about this we played into Manly's hands.

Ashyford needs to be dropped and Anasta should be told to retire (front office role). BMM needs to play more minutes. Marshall needs to be told not to kick with Farah responsible for all 5th tackle plays.

Let's face it they were like chooks with no heads for most of the game. Can't understand why you would want to break the 6/7 combo unless it was to prove a point to Anasta. Whatever the case, that's not the way to handle things. If Potter was not happy with Anasta'a comments send him to NSW cup to prove he was up to being a NRL #7, don't penalise the side to prove a point.

What a disaster of a season.

Agree completely, really that is a game we could have won. We needed to show some patience & cut out those damn errors. Very disappointing effort from all senior players except Blair, keithy & Fulton. Our young lads are showing the way!

Goose

Post by Goose » Tue 30 Jul, 2013 12:09 pm

Overall we were pretty good.

however we made some really bad plays when it mattered most.

Anasta had a night that he would rather forget and Benji pushed too hard and missed a couple big plays.

I thought Lawrence, Sirro and Simona put on a couple beautiful little plays with nice hands.

Sirro as an edge back rower looked devastating, he will be a superstar in that position.

Was a frustrating night, we looked right in it, than let in a shocker, on the attack and bomb it.

I think we are close.

Next year I expect the young guys to get better again and although I expect Brooks to make rookie errors next year, I think as a team we are on a big move forward.

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Tue 30 Jul, 2013 12:17 pm

We executed very poorly last night...and sadly our halves failed us in that area again... halves execution and failure to steer the team around and execute a game plan has been our achilles heal last year. Our Senior guys, Marshall, Anasta, Lawrence, Ayshford are letting the team down badly...

MightyMaggy

Post by MightyMaggy » Tue 30 Jul, 2013 12:57 pm

Several posters have suggested dropping Anasta and Marshall for their inept displays over the past months. If I understand the system of the two-level NRL salary CAPS, we cannot drop them to NSW Cup, because we will exceed our second-level cap with their replacements.
By the way, I agree they need to be dropped!