Kidwell expects hardened edge in 2014

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 6:19 pm

AJ Carr

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news-disp ... 2014/89188

Thursday 9 January 2014 3:27 PM

New Wests Tigers Assistant Coach David Kidwell expects his players to have a harder edge than they displayed in 2013.

The former Melbourne Storm and South Sydney coach was a feared defender during his playing days, famously smashing Kangaroo forward Willie Mason while playing one of his 25 tests for the Kiwis.

Working under Head Coach Mick Potter, the veteran of 235 NRL and Super League games is focusing on developing aggression and defensive technique with a focus on slowing down the play the ball.

"The boys have been working hard," said Kidwell.

"It's an area we have identified that we need to fix up.

"As the game is getting faster and the game is producing more athletes, we need to be able to slow that ruck down to give us the best chance to win the game.

"Still, the best tackle in the game is hitting under the ball, there's no doubt about that, but there's also some ways that we need to slow down the ruck."

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 6:36 pm

Kidwell is going to light some fires in the boys, Im so excited to see how he can impart both fire and technicality into the squad.

Fraze23

Post by Fraze23 » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 6:45 pm

Good to see Kidwell is involved with our defence. I didn't think the speed of the play the ball was one of our bigger issues in defence. More so sticking in tackles and the amount of tackles we miss. Perhaps some of that stems from allowing teams a quicker play the ball and getting a roll on up the middle.
You have to make the tackle before you can slow the play the ball down.

One big change I'd like to see in defence is attitude. The same sort of steel Steve Folkes instilled in our D in 2010.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 7:44 pm

Lets hope this isn't just more hype

I can't remember how many times I have heard a Wests Tigers coaching staff member say we will be harder and tougher at the start of a season and we see another limp wristed season

Fraze23

Post by Fraze23 » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 8:01 pm

happy tiger wrote:Lets hope this isn't just more hype

I can't remember how many times I have heard a Wests Tigers coaching staff member say we will be harder and tougher at the start of a season and we see another limp wristed season
Keeping in mind this is the first time since 2003 that we've had an entirely new set of staff.

Knuckles

Post by Knuckles » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 8:08 pm

Yes ... Quite right Happy.
They all talk things up at this time of year .... Take it with a grain of salt.

willow

Post by willow » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 8:18 pm

I'm optimistic that the Tigers defence will be tighter and tougher this year, with the team's overall ability to slow down the ruck improved. I think this year's forward pack will have a bit more size than last year with some of the junior players putting on some muscle and strength, and hopefully Kidwell's experience from the Storm can improve the overall technique of the players. It would be great to see the forward pack dominate the opposition more often than not.

tiga4eva

Post by tiga4eva » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 10:09 pm

I still cringe at some of the one on one misses by Blair and Pettybourne in 2013.

Fraze23

Post by Fraze23 » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 10:27 pm

The full video of the interview is on the Wests Tigers website, there's also footage that shows some of the training drills that Kidwell has been putting them through. Looks tough and physical, different to the types of defence we've had in the past. Very Stormish.
The video showed Blocker talking to the forwards too. Apparently he's been in doing some work during the offseason too.

tigsta

Post by tigsta » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 11:19 pm

You beat me to it.
Less talk more tackling please.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

tigerbalm

Post by tigerbalm » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 12:05 am

It's not like they are ever going to say " the boys are rubbish at training...it's gunna be a long season". That would be refreshing though.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 1:33 am

Fraze23 wrote:

Keeping in mind this is the first time since 2003 that we've had an entirely new set of staff.
even then it wasn't instantaneous.

although i think we are about a year ahead in terms of our squad. i.e. 2014 squad is better than 2003.

the real question is whether it 'clicks.' in my opnion that will differentiate us in the coming years from 6-8 to real premiership contenders. many teams clicked in 2013, but some only for a game or two (like us) and some for the whole year
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

Anthism

Post by Anthism » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 2:11 am

I really hope they fix the gaps in our defense. I can still picture Nofo leaping at opposite wingers, gives me nightmares.
We need to put together 80 mins of what we did against the Storm in Melbourne and I think most people would be happy. No idea what happened in that 2 week break but damn we played well for a good portion of that game.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 3:31 am

This year we have a much stronger set of forwards with a very good blend of youth and maturity. This combined with an obvious improvement in our support coaching staff is cause to be optimistic for 2014.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 5:51 am

You cant play positive if you dont talk it and believe it.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 6:52 am

Kidwell will indeed bring that "hardened edge" to our side, just like Folkes did during his time here. It was no coincidence that we got progressively worse in defence throughout 2012.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 8:13 am

Hoping for an improved defence AND attitude amongst the forwards this year.
Good to see Kidwell here and Roach adding a few words now and then.
Kidwell brings a knowledge of the current game and both him and Roach together bring something even more important - respect from the players.
Whether you like or dislike either one of them there is no denying they both walked the walk.
Easy to say go do this, don't back down etc when you didn't do it yourself .
Both these guys were hardnose blokes who will demand the forwards toughen up.
Can't wait!

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 11:46 am

Is it just me or has Kidwell been severely overrated as a player since he retired??? He was ok, thats it.

Since he retired he gets talked about as though he was one of the hardest backrowers ever. For me he was a solid first grader who would have never even been considered for rep footy if he was Aussie.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS