Who's your top 8 ?

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 205 times

Re: Who's your top 8 ?

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 14 Jan, 2014 11:47 pm

Penrith are absolute shoe ins. Not only cos of their signings, but cos they have been slowly building for a couple of seasons ever since Cleary took over, the most under-rated coach in the game imo. Now that he has decent cattle, theres no way he won't get them into the 8

Within 5 yrs they'll be a powerhouse.

tigsta

Unread post by tigsta » Wed 15 Jan, 2014 8:17 pm

[quote="GNR4LIFE"]People thinking the Roosters are over the cap are having a nice old pull. Do you not know the concept of third party? Uncle Nick has lots of connections to make these things happen.

Well the comp is rigged then.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Unread post by Guest » Wed 15 Jan, 2014 10:06 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:People thinking the Roosters are over the cap are having a nice old pull. Do you not know the concept of third party? Uncle Nick has lots of connections to make these things happen.
From all rumours, the SBW deal would have to be the doggiest of all time considering Gyngal is supposedly on the board of one of there clubs.

There may be a new ARLC, but Nick still pulls alot of strings at RL headquarters!

sunshine coast tiger

Unread post by sunshine coast tiger » Thu 16 Jan, 2014 2:15 pm

tigsta wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:People thinking the Roosters are over the cap are having a nice old pull. Do you not know the concept of third party? Uncle Nick has lots of connections to make these things happen.

Bruno Cullen said for years that he didn't understand why the other NRL teams didn't use the allowable 3rd party deals as well as the Broncos did.

The Broncos had one of the greatest ever players under the salary cap at $250,000 per year yet he was earning way more.

It goes in cycles though, when the great players from the Broncos retired they have struggled. It would say their coaching isn't as good as it once was and their recruitment isn't as good as it used to be. It shows it takes more than just money to win in the NRL.

I would like to think when our junior talent develops ( I think us and Penrith currently have great young talent) we will be run well enough to take advantage of the loop holes allowed in 3rd party deals and keep all our best players. This is what the management of our club should be aiming for.

Furious1
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by Furious1 » Thu 16 Jan, 2014 2:33 pm

sunshine coast tiger wrote:
tigsta wrote:
"GNR4LIFE" wrote:People thinking the Roosters are over the cap are having a nice old pull. Do you not know the concept of third party? Uncle Nick has lots of connections to make these things happen.

Bruno Cullen said for years that he didn't understand why the other NRL teams didn't use the allowable 3rd party deals as well as the Broncos did.

The Broncos had one of the greatest ever players under the salary cap at $250,000 per year yet he was earning way more.

It goes in cycles though, when the great players from the Broncos retired they have struggled. It would say their coaching isn't as good as it once was and their recruitment isn't as good as it used to be. It shows it takes more than just money to win in the NRL.

I would like to think when our junior talent develops ( I think us and Penrith currently have great young talent) we will be run well enough to take advantage of the loop holes allowed in 3rd party deals and keep all our best players. This is what the management of our club should be aiming for.

I think the fact there were basically only 2 teams in Qld for a lot of that period and only one in Brisbane made it far easier to achieve 3rd party deals.
Apart from Harry, I don't know of any supposedly mega rich WT fans. ( that's not to say there isn't any) The way this board operates, certainly wouldn't fill any financial backer with confidence.

sunshine coast tiger

Unread post by sunshine coast tiger » Thu 16 Jan, 2014 2:55 pm

Furious1 wrote:
sunshine coast tiger wrote:
"tigsta" wrote:
"GNR4LIFE" wrote:People thinking the Roosters are over the cap are having a nice old pull. Do you not know the concept of third party? Uncle Nick has lots of connections to make these things happen.

I think the fact there were basically only 2 teams in Qld for a lot of that period and only one in Brisbane made it far easier to achieve 3rd party deals.
Apart from Harry, I don't know of any supposedly mega rich WT fans. ( that's not to say there isn't any) The way this board operates, certainly wouldn't fill any financial backer with confidence.

The current board don't fill me with great confidence either. As I said hopefully in 2-3 years we will be much better run

I don't know if you need mega rich supporters to take advantage of allowable 3rd party deals, I think you can pool the money from a number of companies and give it to your star player. I believe one previous player at the Broncos had 10 3rd party deals.

happy tiger
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Thu 16 Jan, 2014 8:33 pm

I think the team who will hardest to predict this season will be the Cowboys

Losing Bowen will be huge and for Thurston to lose his critical go to man will make it harder

On the other hand moving Ray Thompson to hooker was a masterstroke until he was injured in 2013

The X factor for them will be Lui , he will need to get combos with JT very quickly

They are the sort of side with their great forward pack they could win the comp , but they could just as easily finish 12th

yeti
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by yeti » Sat 18 Jan, 2014 10:40 am

So which teams are stronger this year than last? Which teams have a nett loss of playing talent?
Personally, I don't think Souths are as strong, but they'll still be in the 8. Manly are about evens, maybe a little down on depth, but they'll be there. Roosters are just as strong as last year, so they'll be there. The big improvers in playing strength are the Panthers and I think they'll make it. Warriors may be a little stronger with Tomkins and will be somewhere near the 8 but maybe just miss out. Same can be said for Dragons and Tigers. Cowboys have lost a lot of depth and I think will struggle. Storm will make it again, but only middle of the top 8. So, in no particular order; Roosters, Manly, Souths, Storm, Panthers, Dogs, and the last 2 spots...... Knights and Sharks.

Tigrr
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Tigrr » Sat 18 Jan, 2014 11:49 am

I reckon the Tigers should be certs for the top 8 for the following reasons :

Bigger better forwards and better defensive coach !
Not having to put up with Benji's continual woeful form and defence !
Better injury run,
Improved combinations all over the park,posting.php?mode=reply&f=136&t=19709&si ... a7f61df264#

Wados Dios

Unread post by Wados Dios » Wed 05 Feb, 2014 10:18 pm

If we don't get hit with the injuries like we have in the past few seasons I believe we can make the 8!

Eddie
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Eddie » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 6:57 pm

We won't be in it and i don't think we will be close. Doesn't mean we can't improve.

Easts
Souths
Manly
NQ
Penrith
Warriors
Sharks
Storm

Bulldogs, Knights could easily get in there

Titans, Tigers, Raiders, Eels, Broncos and Dragons will be a bit adrift. Dragons spoon.

Return to “Season 2014”