Interesting Potter and Blair comments.

tig_prmz
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Interesting Potter and Blair comments.

Unread post by tig_prmz » Mon 20 Jan, 2014 1:12 am

That was me btw- meant to say evolved not absorbed.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 153 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 20 Jan, 2014 7:47 am

We've seen players come to the fore under Potter's stewardship. Blair has been performing better (still not worthy of his pay cheque,) Simona finally got the chance he was waiting on, Nofoaluma and Tedesco have come along and our recruitment for this year is depth based. If our forwards hold their own and allow Brooks to lay a platform this year could be anything.

This is year zero for Potter as far as I'm concerned. He had an opportunity to remove any of the deadwood he inherited from Sheens and he took it. This years' results will dictate how Potter fares as coach.
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

jirskyr
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 130 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Mon 20 Jan, 2014 12:27 pm

Ha this thread has some flair about it.! Been quiet around here for a while, but some good Tigers media releases and a sniff of trials footy once again has opinions abounding.

NT Tiger
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by NT Tiger » Thu 06 Feb, 2014 1:18 pm

I Like CB and Palms posts. I don't understand the Potter bashing.

For mine, I think he's a strategist and he's making the right decisions both in terms of coaching and selections within the limits that have been imposed by the current, and recent past, club structure & finances.

Some are expressing views that 'the team don't like him'. So what. I don't know of any coaching rules staying he has to be liked. What is important is that his decisions are respected. I think we have seen from the previous situation what happens when players like the coach and vice versa.

It appears that some people take his quiet public persona as representing lack of leadership or motivation. I don't see it that way at all. He thinks his way through his public appearances instead of coming across as a lunatic rabid dog as do some other notable coaches. Publicly, the coach he most reminds me of is Wayne Bennett & I don't see that as a bad thing.

He has my vote & I'm prepared to give him the time he needs.
"Quality Stupidity"

Blake93

Unread post by Blake93 » Thu 06 Feb, 2014 6:57 pm

NT Tiger wrote:I Like CB and Palms posts. I don't understand the Potter bashing.

For mine, I think he's a strategist and he's making the right decisions both in terms of coaching and selections within the limits that have been imposed by the current, and recent past, club structure & finances.

Some are expressing views that 'the team don't like him'. So what. I don't know of any coaching rules staying he has to be liked. What is important is that his decisions are respected. I think we have seen from the previous situation what happens when players like the coach and vice versa.

It appears that some people take his quiet public persona as representing lack of leadership or motivation. I don't see it that way at all. He thinks his way through his public appearances instead of coming across as a lunatic rabid dog as do some other notable coaches. Publicly, the coach he most reminds me of is Wayne Bennett & I don't see that as a bad thing.

He has my vote & I'm prepared to give him the time he needs.
Might not seem like much but I think potter attending Robbie's 30th birthday says a lot about the type of relationships the players have with him.

He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learnt the secret of life.

Knuckles
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Knuckles » Thu 06 Feb, 2014 7:42 pm

I think we will know in the first eight weeks Potters fate. If the team can't win at least three games under his leadership then the knives will be out. If the team doesn't make the top eight the knives will be out. There can't be any excuses this year ... It's get results or see you later Harry.

happy tiger
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 66 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Thu 06 Feb, 2014 8:32 pm

Knuckles wrote:I think we will know in the first eight weeks Potters fate. If the team can't win at least three games under his leadership then the knives will be out. If the team doesn't make the top eight the knives will be out. There can't be any excuses this year ... It's get results or see you later Harry.
Bit rough brother , I thought at best we'd be 3-5 after Round 8

Knuckles
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Knuckles » Thu 06 Feb, 2014 8:44 pm

Lol

If its 3-5 we'll give him benefit of the doubt Happy .... If its below three .... Ahem !!!

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 221 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Thu 06 Feb, 2014 9:43 pm

"Make the eight"

A bit too simplistic imo

Based on last season we could improve quite a deal and still miss the eight...that imo is a realistic proposition.

Teams can be performing terribly and fall into the eight, and others can be flying home and just miss out.

Does a ladder position at a specified date at seasons end determine two years work, ready to be thrown away and everything go back to square one?

As I said, too simplistic. Too many variables over a few seasons to judge on a ladder position

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 153 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 07 Feb, 2014 8:01 am

My indicator of a successful 2014 will be the following:

- A solid, concerted defensive effort;
- The forwards don't get dominated;
- Troubling the top sides. We don't have to beat them all, but just shake them up and make them work hard for their wins. If we can trouble teams like Easts, Souths and Manly, that will be a stark improvement on the last two seasons;
- No landslide scorelines against us. I can forgive one or maybe two depending on injuries, but the reality is that good sides don't get flogged by 30-40 points regularly.
- High percentage football. The outside backs have the flair to make magic happen, but our halves should be playing smart football. Kick for corners, a good passing game and running the ball, leave the fancy stuff to the guys wearing 1 through to 5.

We can do all that, miss the eight, and I will be satisfied that Potter has brought the team along in leaps and bounds.
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

NT Tiger
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by NT Tiger » Fri 07 Feb, 2014 8:16 am

I think Ink asks a valid and interesting question: "Does a ladder position at a specified date at seasons end determine two years work, ready to be thrown away and everything go back to square one?"

After a season of disruption to the playing roster through injury and underperformance, disruptions due to petty board squabbling, and disruption through constant media attention to an under performing billboard player and an ex coach, isn't a period of stability and structural building exactly what this team needs?

Maybe a new thread topic should be: What are the performance indicators that will determine the 'thumbs up or thumbs down' for Mick Potter?**

Maybe my view is too simplistic, but as long as the team is moving forward and improving he continues to have my vote. To me it is way too early to be talking about creating another destabilising factor for the team.

**Pipped at the post; CB has answered my question nicely.^
"Quality Stupidity"

Sataris

Unread post by Sataris » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 12:41 pm

My measure of him will be our for and against at seasons end.

I think we've only been positive once or twice in the past 10 years?
cunno wrote:Ennis is the koala of the NRL.
Home of the Sataris

pHyR3

Unread post by pHyR3 » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 12:52 pm

Sataris wrote:My measure of him will be our for and against at seasons end.

errr... we made the top 4 three times, im pretty sure we had a positive for and against there.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

spearby

Unread post by spearby » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 1:26 pm

a woods another 3 years what I like every player that talks on tv or radio are all saying that they have signed up because they want to play for the tigers young up and comers it seems the club is very happy one. I think potter and the new coaches know what is needed. maybe we are in for a better year than a lot people think

fergiefurr
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by fergiefurr » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 1:37 pm

I just want to see a better attitude from the team as a whole. Last year even though we finished 15th I saw an improvement in this, particularly from the younger brigade. The ones with the poor attitude (benji, Ayshford, lote etc) have been moved on. I believe if this is fully turned around the results will eventually come.

Sataris

Unread post by Sataris » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 3:05 pm

pHyR3 wrote:
Sataris wrote:My measure of him will be our for and against at seasons end.

errr... we made the top 4 three times, im pretty sure we had a positive for and against there.
+34 isn't something to write home about. + 89 in 2011 was better but still way below the best teams in the competition. Were talking +150
cunno wrote:Ennis is the koala of the NRL.
Home of the Sataris

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 7:25 am

I just want to see Potter make predominantly the right decisions and for the club to appear professional.

My concerns are Anasta getting played when he doesn't deserve a spot on form and too many small players in the backrow mainly Fulton and Halatau.

I want to see a big dominant pack of forwards and quick outside backs. Hopefully if Potter gets the halves right then we will go as well as we can and I'll be happy with that no matter where we end up on the ladder.

phil1986
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by phil1986 » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 8:54 am

stevetiger wrote:I just want to see Potter make predominantly the right decisions and for the club to appear professional.

My concerns are Anasta getting played when he doesn't deserve a spot on form and too many small players in the backrow mainly Fulton and Halatau.

I want to see a big dominant pack of forwards and quick outside backs. Hopefully if Potter gets the halves right then we will go as well as we can and I'll be happy with that no matter where we end up on the ladder.

Yeah, I think its great he has recruited a few forwards, that look like damaging runners, taupau runs very hard, Patterson bends the line and has a great off load.... Watching the weekend and a fully fit gavett, he was impressive...

As far as anasta goes, I'm not trying to be his biggest advocate, hoever he was brought across to play 5:8th and played most of the year in the backrow?

When he was in the halves, he was outside the most unstructured half in the comp.

He played outside Austin on the weekend, and looked like a great player, both did.

My concern is, of Austin come up due to his great form to partner brooks after a few rounds...

Where does that leave anasta?

I can't see him getting dropped unless injured..

Return to “Season 2014”