Farah Needs A New Sidekick

Joe's Tigers
Member
Member
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun 06 Oct, 2013 9:59 am

Farah Needs A New Sidekick

Unread post by Joe's Tigers » Wed 22 Jan, 2014 12:50 pm

Does anyone know what ever happened to d*** Grayson? Or better yet, does anyone even remember who d*** Grayson is?

Better known as Robin: The Boy Wonder, Grayson was to Batman what Benji Marshall was to Robbie Farah. He brought the bling to the (footy) ring, the bro to the (footy) show, and the smile to every kids' dial. In every facet of Tigers footy, he was the quintessential wingman to the leader of the club.

And that's the way it has been ever since one of the league's most dynamic duos made an entrance 11 years ago, back when the Tigers were about as relevant as a genuine scrum. A couple of seasons later they combined to help bring the Wests Tigers their first premiership as a joint venture.

But when the skipper finally returned from his World Cup mission to training this week, for the first time in his career, his extroverted playmaker was no longer standing next to him.

"It was different," Farah described of a Marshall-less existence. "It's always hard when you lose a player that you've played so many years alongside."

Marshall was just one of many sidekicks to have kicked on elsewhere following the club's shock premiership win in 2005.

"I've been here my whole career and one by one they've all kind of seemed to have moved on," Farah said. "There's a few of us left but we've got a few back in Patty Richards and Dene Halatau. But that's part of footy. Life goes on and we've just got to move on."

And so here we are, just over a month away from the start of the 2014 season, and Concord's own Bruce Wayne is in search of a new partner in crime. Preferably someone with a tackling rate with more makes than misses, and a hopefully someone with bag of tricks deeper than a no-look pass that was getting rustier by the game.

"Obviously it's going to be difficult to replace him," Farah said. "But it's a one that we're looking forward to and a challenge that really excites me."

Teenager Luke Brooks has the early running. But Farah, understandably, has his reservations of picking a co-pilot out of a crop of kids barely out of school.

"The proof will be in the pudding this year over a long campaign," he forewarns. "The difficult thing for young kids is they've always got the talent, but it's hard to maintain week in, week out over a long NRL season."

Having just turned 30 this week, the state's best dummy-half wisely preaches patience on a generation of kids defined by instant gratification. With more than half of his teammates under the age of 26, Farah knows the club will be heavily reliant on the benefits of youth this season.

"For us, I guess our success this year will rely on how well they come through," he said. "But we're confident we've got a talented bunch of players there and we're confident that with some patience we're going to be successful in the long term."

He insists it could happen in the short term too. For as much as he looks forward to a future without his long-time teammate, he remembers the year they came through together as kids.

"Look, we can do something [this year], no doubt. Whether it's this year or next year or in two years, I'm not too sure. Sometimes success comes quicker than you expect," he said.

"That happened in 2005 with the kids we had come through. Halfway through the year we were running 12th and to be honest, we were nowhere near the best team in the competition. But in the second half of the season it all came together."

And that was the season we remembered what happened when Bruce Wayne found his d*** Grayson.

From nrl.com


everett
Member
Member
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri 12 Mar, 2010 11:01 pm
Location: Kings Langley

Unread post by everett » Wed 22 Jan, 2014 1:11 pm

Farah needs to give Brooks clean and early ball and not drift across the field and give hospital passes.

Farah is a legend but needs to pick the right time to run and kick and other times pass clean ball.

We now have speed in the backline so we need to give then an opportunity to shine.
Living the dream and praying for another premiership

User avatar
smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 9882
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:56 pm

Unread post by smeghead » Wed 22 Jan, 2014 1:32 pm

All comes back to the pigs gaining through the middle.

Everything starts there
Image

User avatar
Glen McWilliams
Member
Member
Posts: 687
Joined: Wed 28 Mar, 2012 11:30 am

Unread post by Glen McWilliams » Wed 22 Jan, 2014 2:29 pm

Geez it's been a long offseason.
Boston Red Sox 2013: Worst to First!
Boston Red Sox 2014: First to Worst...

westy81
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue 21 Jun, 2011 1:29 am
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by westy81 » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 6:55 pm

Maybe now farah could win the dally m medal now he doesn't have benji stealing his points if he has a good season

Posted using RoarFEED 2013
GO THE TIGERS !!!!


User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 30318
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Perth
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by willow » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 8:29 pm

smeghead wrote:All comes back to the pigs gaining through the middle.

Everything starts there
And that right there is the hammer hitting the nail on the head.

tigsta
Member
Member
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed 02 Jan, 2013 2:44 pm

Unread post by tigsta » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 9:45 pm

willow wrote:
smeghead wrote:All comes back to the pigs gaining through the middle.

Everything starts there
And that right there is the hammer hitting the nail on the head.
Luke brooks must be very lucky. Same pack different result. Or was it just coincidence they showed up that day.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

User avatar
underdog
Member
Member
Posts: 4789
Joined: Tue 27 Apr, 2010 5:25 pm
Location: Gold Coast
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by underdog » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 9:48 pm

westy81 wrote:Maybe now farah could win the dally m medal now he doesn't have benji stealing his points if he has a good season

Posted using RoarFEED 2013
Image
Image

User avatar
smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 9882
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:56 pm

Unread post by smeghead » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 9:58 pm

tigsta wrote:
Luke brooks must be very lucky. Same pack different result. Or was it just coincidence they showed up that day.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

The pack was very good against a somewhat struggling Dragons pack that day.

That said having a half straighten the attack and provide good kicking helped straighten Farah and give the pigs more latitude
Image

User avatar
pHyR3
Member
Member
Posts: 5029
Joined: Tue 12 Feb, 2013 7:11 pm

Unread post by pHyR3 » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 10:30 pm

i think it was a combination of many things for brooks. The pack showed up, the pack they played were mediocre on the day and brooks was good at directing traffic well combined with farah.

also a healthy dose of luck. i rewatched the 2nd half a couple of days ago and a major call went in our favour and completely changed the momentum. They called knockon against dragons on a bomb into our ingoal, but turns out it was all lote. I think on that set, brooks ended up setting up a try for us.

that was in the midst of the dragon's comeback, they were within a try IIRC.

not to diminish brook's performance at all, he had a great game.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

User avatar
Bazzinator
Member
Member
Posts: 1306
Joined: Tue 09 Feb, 2010 8:18 pm

Unread post by Bazzinator » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 10:37 pm

well considering farah didnt play against the saints the day brooks played i think that could be an oversight by people as it was luani who started at 9 that day

tigsta
Member
Member
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed 02 Jan, 2013 2:44 pm

Unread post by tigsta » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 10:59 pm

Poor benji though. The pack NEVER showed up for him.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

User avatar
pHyR3
Member
Member
Posts: 5029
Joined: Tue 12 Feb, 2013 7:11 pm

Unread post by pHyR3 » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 11:03 pm

tigsta wrote:Poor benji though. The pack NEVER showed up for him.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013
yea it did?

tigers vs storm, tigers vs souths (2nd time) and tigers vs dragons off the top of my head
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

tigsta
Member
Member
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed 02 Jan, 2013 2:44 pm

Unread post by tigsta » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 11:21 pm

pHyR3 wrote:
tigsta wrote:Poor benji though. The pack NEVER showed up for him.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013
yea it did?

tigers vs storm, tigers vs souths (2nd time) and tigers vs dragons off the top of my head
Yes your right. 3 games from 26. Luke brooks 1 from 1. That's hitting the nail on the head.

I guess my point is blaming our forwards for our demise is a cop out. Our problems ran a lot deeper. Tackling was not our thing also.

Saying that our forwards need to go forward goes without saying and kind of implies that's brooks got lucky that day.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

User avatar
pHyR3
Member
Member
Posts: 5029
Joined: Tue 12 Feb, 2013 7:11 pm

Unread post by pHyR3 » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 11:26 pm

his debut could ONLY be made against a team that was out of contention for the 8. and poor teams often have poor packs which is exactly what our boys faced and thus did better. I'm sure brooks will help our pack play more direct, hit holes better etc. than benji, but he did get a bit lucky on his debut.

it's like saying after koro's 2nd game that he is the best winger ever cause he scored 4 tries in 2 games. best average in the NRL.....except all 4 were against the eels.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

User avatar
Black'n'White
Member
Member
Posts: 1859
Joined: Sat 02 Mar, 2013 6:52 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Black'n'White » Fri 24 Jan, 2014 12:44 pm

Its no co-incidence that with no Farah or Bunji, the pigs got better service, had more direction, and the sets were punctuated with better kicking.

Robbie has been overplaying his hand for a while now. It will be interesting to see if he can refocus his game when partnered with what seems to be a more stable and consistent half in Brooks.

I dont think we we ever as outgunned in the forwards as we looked to be, just the service was average to poor, sending them in tackle after tackle to be murdered around the ruck and/or playmakers crabwalking allowing defences to meet us at the advantage line for a late hand off without any steam.

Clean early ball has props winding up, meeting defenders closer to where the ref lines them up, the resulting play the ball will happen as the defenders are still retreating the 10... Its space that can be manufactured by basic football IQ. We had Benji floating sideways waving people behind him, or Robbie doing the same when he was repeatedly pumping pigs into the ruck for almost entire sets, all but inviting defences to move up on us. Even though the Dragons clearly werent a top tier team on Brooks debut, he showed enough class and football IQ to be able have us making contact well in front of the advantage line, which makes a massive difference.

If you ever watch the Storm work it off their line, they send the first man burrowing around the ruck to find the ground for a quick play the ball, as the defence is retreating the second man is usually sent in the same for better penetration, by the third tackle option they have made enough space to use a pig with some steam... basic high percent football. We were just too off the cuff, Brooks may be the kind of stabilising force we need to better utilise our staff.

User avatar
turnstyle
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2041
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:30 pm
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by turnstyle » Fri 24 Jan, 2014 8:14 pm

Black'n'White wrote:Its no co-incidence that with no Farah or Bunji, the pigs got better service, had more direction, and the sets were punctuated with better kicking.

Robbie has been overplaying his hand for a while now. It will be interesting to see if he can refocus his game when partnered with what seems to be a more stable and consistent half in Brooks.

I dont think we we ever as outgunned in the forwards as we looked to be, just the service was average to poor, sending them in tackle after tackle to be murdered around the ruck and/or playmakers crabwalking allowing defences to meet us at the advantage line for a late hand off without any steam.

Clean early ball has props winding up, meeting defenders closer to where the ref lines them up, the resulting play the ball will happen as the defenders are still retreating the 10... Its space that can be manufactured by basic football IQ. We had Benji floating sideways waving people behind him, or Robbie doing the same when he was repeatedly pumping pigs into the ruck for almost entire sets, all but inviting defences to move up on us. Even though the Dragons clearly werent a top tier team on Brooks debut, he showed enough class and football IQ to be able have us making contact well in front of the advantage line, which makes a massive difference.

If you ever watch the Storm work it off their line, they send the first man burrowing around the ruck to find the ground for a quick play the ball, as the defence is retreating the second man is usually sent in the same for better penetration, by the third tackle option they have made enough space to use a pig with some steam... basic high percent football. We were just too off the cuff, Brooks may be the kind of stabilising force we need to better utilise our staff.
everything bnw said! great post.
i especially agree the robbie overplaying part. i know its not a popular opinion, but i think the last few seasons farah has tried to do too much himself, with him appearing to me to be kind of a selfish player. (cue the outcries!)

in saying this, though, i do think it could be that he has done so because he thinks he has to....

also, it used to drive me insane how marshall would always do the "fart wafting" to get a player to run around him. ugh!!! please, please, no more of that!!
Image

Furious1
Member
Member
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu 09 Jun, 2011 6:42 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Furious1 » Fri 24 Jan, 2014 8:26 pm

tigsta wrote:Poor benji though. The pack NEVER showed up for him.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013
Tends to happen when you only run across field and don't play direct

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Post Reply

Return to “Season 2014”