Keebra Park - Is it worth it ?

Irvine

Re: Keebra Park - Is it worth it ?

Post by Irvine » Fri 28 Feb, 2014 12:55 am

The Hill wrote: In the past we've often contracted one standout player (Teo, Chase, Lui, BMM, Kahu etc) and a few other decent squaddies. If we enable the standouts to develop into star players and retain them (only one of the above still plays with us) our quad will be all the stronger.
After 12 years of Wests Tigers funded scholarships only one of the above still plays with us and he is anything but a "standout".
The Hill wrote:And if you were going to name players, at least name some of the Keebra Boys who haven't cut it!
Geez just of the top of my head lets see

Connor Toia
Nofoa Leapai
Bodie Clarke
Michael Kai
Nigel Fruen
Jordan Marshall-King
Herman Retzlaff
Vaha Pulu
Bradley Soe
Manaia Rudolph
Joe Harris
Sioeli Makui
Dean Parata
Necrom Arieti
Dane Macdonald
Mufoa Filipe

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by southerntiger » Fri 28 Feb, 2014 7:40 am

Vela also came to us from KP and whilst injury has kept him back he is highly rated by the club.

I think this thread demonstrates the valu of KP to the club.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

The Hill

Post by The Hill » Fri 28 Feb, 2014 10:08 am

You really just don't' seem to get it Irvine, do you? Perhaps you never finished school yourself so find it hard to comprehend the transitions in life involved in such a step up.

Keebra are doing a great job and have contributed more to the WT since startup than any other school.

Come back to this thread at the end of the season and then when can talk again

TigerCrib

Post by TigerCrib » Sat 01 Mar, 2014 9:27 am

turnstyle wrote:i dont profess to knowing much about the keebra park programme, but gather it is a scholarship one for nz kids?
why cant/isnt it for australian kids as well?

anyway, as i say, dont know much about and so wont comment too far other than to say that i dont think 10 years is an ample sample pool to judge from.

who knows? in 2, 6, 9 years time we could all be praising the benefits?
Keebra give out 5 scholarships each year & scholarship recipients are selected from Australia & NZ.

What you will find is that many Kiwis families move over to the Gold Coast & into Keebra Parks School Zone just so their kids can attend Keebra & have a crack at being selected in the Rugby League program. I think you will find this was the case with Kurtis Rowe!

TigerCrib

Post by TigerCrib » Sat 01 Mar, 2014 9:41 am

Goose wrote:
Irvine wrote:Ok Thanks Goose....How does it work ? Are the Keebra recruited NZ players just solely for Wests Tigers ?
Does Keebra recruit for other NRL teams and we get allocated players ? Do we have any say in the players recruited ?
Im not sure how the players end up assigned to us.

I think that some of the players are on scholarship through the club, which links them to us, but not all players fit that bill. Im not sure on the logistics.
The Tigers have an initiative with Keebra where they hold invitation only trials in Hamilton, NZ each year in around October. From here some are offered a scholarship that works in conjunction with the Tigers, which basically means that the Tigers have 1st pick!

I'm guessing if the Tigers then say no, then they're open slather for selection with the Titans & Broncos.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Sat 01 Mar, 2014 11:39 am

TigerCrib wrote:
turnstyle wrote:i dont profess to knowing much about the keebra park programme, but gather it is a scholarship one for nz kids?

anyway, as i say, dont know much about and so wont comment too far other than to say that i dont think 10 years is an ample sample pool to judge from.

Keebra give out 5 scholarships each year & scholarship recipients are selected from Australia & NZ.

What you will find is that many Kiwis families move over to the Gold Coast & into Keebra Parks School Zone just so their kids can attend Keebra & have a crack at being selected in the Rugby League program. I think you will find this was the case with Kurtis Rowe!

or maybe the kiwis are just better

;)
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

TigerCrib

Post by TigerCrib » Sat 01 Mar, 2014 12:05 pm

pHyR3 wrote:
TigerCrib wrote:

or maybe the kiwis are just better

;)
As a fellow Kiwi I couldn't agree more! :)