Auckland nines

Fraze23

Re: Auckland nines

Post by Fraze23 » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 12:01 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fraze23 wrote:Assuming Nofoaluma is being replaced by either Rowe or Hoeter, is having one speedster on the bench enough for the entire tournament?
BMM is going.
I meant in the run on side mate.

willow

Post by willow » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 12:25 pm

Ben Murdoch-Masila added to NRL Auckland Nines squad

Wednesday 12 February 2014 9:30 AM

Wests Tigers forward Ben Murdoch-Masila has been added to the NRL Auckland Nines squad this morning after David Nofoaluma was ruled out through injury this morning.

Nofoaluma has a hamstring strain with Club medical staff deciding not to risk the 20-year-old winger suffering a more serious injury during the pre-season tournament.

Murdoch-Masila will replace Nofoaluma in the squad, wearing the number 18 jersey for the tournament.

While the loss of Nofoaluma is disappointing for Wests Tigers, Murdoch-Masila is a handy addition to the squad that already includes damaging forwards such as Aaron Woods, Martin Taupau and Adam Blair.

The squad will depart for Auckland tomorrow morning.

Under tournament rules, teams are required to play one of their top five players, as well as 12 of their top 25 squad members.

Player Profile – Ben Murdoch-Masila
Junior Club: Otahuhu
Height: 186 cm Weight: 114 kg
Position: Prop/second-row

alex

Post by alex » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 2:02 pm

I just hope he can hang on to the darn ball. He's shown he can be a damaging line runner, and I think with his size and power he could excel in this format. I've lost count how many tries he's butchered

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 6:17 pm

If The Hill thinks Woods & Gavet (two of the forwards selected)are more mobile than Sirro,then I fear for the kids future in any form of Rugby League!!
We may not all appreciate there will only be 3 forwards(incl a hooker) in 9s.so why select guys who may lack mobility & endurance to defend one on one & provide backup(& Sirros gotta have those two covered surely,or we shld punt him now?)
As for Blair...I reckon he played at around 105 kgs last season at best-see he now claims to be 111kgs.
I hope thats true,as he needs to do something entirely different from the past two seasons & re-invent himself to demand anywhere near the $$ he's currently being paid as an international forward
Actually ,this will be a good test for the coaches too-we'll see who is truly innovative & thoughtful re tactics,particularly first time around

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 6:27 pm

clontarfkid wrote:If The Hill thinks Woods & Gavet (two of the forwards selected)are more mobile than Sirro,then I fear for the kids future in any form of Rugby League!!
We may not all appreciate there will only be 3 forwards(incl a hooker) in 9s.so why select guys who may lack mobility & endurance to defend one on one & provide backup(& Sirros gotta have those two covered surely,or we shld punt him now?)
actually its 5 forwards and 4 backs.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 6:34 pm

Yr rite of course re 5 forwards(officially),but I wonder with all those open spaces whether most teams will play it that way other than for scrums(& there'll be very few of those),& select their teams accordingly .
Thats my point about coaching innovation,where i hope we do well

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 6:37 pm

Last thought-despite MrTs shortcomings I wld have thought there wld be a role for him to play in this format,not necessarily on the wing but as an impact player on the fringes of the ruck.With just a little space to work in ...?
Im looking forward to it on sat

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 6:48 pm

clontarfkid wrote:Yr rite of course re 5 forwards(officially),but I wonder with all those open spaces whether most teams will play it that way other than for scrums(& there'll be very few of those),& select their teams accordingly .
Thats my point about coaching innovation,where i hope we do well
well its been brought up quite a lot that forwards will have a bigger role than expected and i kinda agree there. Even 7s has 3 forwards, so 9s will have 4 maybe 5 forwards who can defend the quick guys if the other team spreads it wide and also to make good metres/2nd phase play.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 7:12 pm

The whole concept is a bit of a mystery...I saw some 9's on youtube but it was only highlites.....lots of long passes, lots of one on one stuff....I imagine it may be a little like touch on the early tackles trying to get the D on back foot but thats par for the course...dunno what to expect really but looking forawrd to it regardless

tigsta

Post by tigsta » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 7:19 pm

innsaneink wrote:The whole concept is a bit of a mystery...I saw some 9's on youtube but it was only highlites.....lots of long passes, lots of one on one stuff....I imagine it may be a little like touch on the early tackles trying to get the D on back foot but thats par for the course...dunno what to expect really but looking forawrd to it regardless
I can't wait.

I hope it goes well and does feature next year as 6 week pre season comp.

I think it will be very similar to 13 a side though. There isn't enough time to take advantage of tired forwards. It will be fast but finding gaps might be harder than everyone thinks.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Wacko Jacko

Post by Wacko Jacko » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 8:12 am

When Nofo was ruled out we needed to replace him with another player in Top 25 to meet the rule of 12 out of Top 25 man squad must play in 9's so this is why BMM was selected and why we couldn't promote Hoeter

Post by Guest » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 8:57 am

Wacko Jacko wrote:When Nofo was ruled out we needed to replace him with another player in Top 25 to meet the rule of 12 out of Top 25 man squad must play in 9's so this is why BMM was selected and why we couldn't promote Hoeter
Hoeter was already picked in the squad. Is the above statement fact or just your opinion?

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 9:19 am

A lot of forwards work is imperative for 9's.

Going off the Cabra 9's tournament if you don't have the right pigs you get nowhere

The Hill

Post by The Hill » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 10:00 am

9's will be somewhat similar to 13's. you can't always just try and go the length of the field in one go everytime you get the ball.7's maybe you can. 9's nope. you need some gitups to get out of your own end, and a good kicking as territory is what wins these tournaments.

Expansive games lead to more dropped balls. It's quite hard to defend your line when there's so much space. You need forwards to cart the ball up - but ideally they'd be able to offload and create the 2nd phase play which is where you really make headway in 9'd. Sirro, Woods and Patto are all good at this.

Sirro is a big boy and speed and agility aren't his greatest strengths - as is the case for most big boys. He's not like a Steve Trindall or anything but he's also not an Inglis or Folau who are huge yet agile and fast. Forwards are rarely as agile as backs, but if they've got good defensive technique and positioning skills then they should still be ok.

tigeru

Post by tigeru » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 10:44 am

clontarfkid wrote:If The Hill thinks Woods & Gavet (two of the forwards selected)are more mobile than Sirro,then I fear for the kids future in any form of Rugby League!!
As for Blair...I reckon he played at around 105 kgs last season at best-see he now claims to be 111kgs.
I hope thats true,as he needs to do something entirely different from the past two seasons & re-invent himself to demand anywhere near the $$ he's currently being paid as an international forward
Actually ,this will be a good test for the coaches too-we'll see who is truly innovative & thoughtful re tactics,particularly first time around
Have you watched Gavet play? He is extremely mobile for a prop, gets around the field comfortably. As for Woods, his footwork before the line will be invaluable and hopefully lead to a number of effective offloads.

DonnyBrasco

Post by DonnyBrasco » Fri 14 Feb, 2014 3:29 pm

Maybe Potts wants to give some of the forwards a chance to get some fitness.
Would have loved to have seen Corey Brown run riot though.
Tigers for 2022!

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Fri 14 Feb, 2014 4:19 pm

Pool the tigers are in is a difficult one.

Sharks, titans and Knights are gonna be tough to beat

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Fri 14 Feb, 2014 4:21 pm

Spartan117 wrote:Pool the tigers are in is a difficult one.

Sharks, titans and Knights are goon be tough to beat
yup.... although if we win the first game we should be through i reckon. titans look to be one of the best in the comp.