Auckland nines

Goose

Re: Auckland nines

Post by Goose » Mon 10 Feb, 2014 10:42 pm

interesting that BMM was in the weaker side for the trial now missing the 9's.. I may be reading to much into this, but is BMM on the outer?

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Mon 10 Feb, 2014 10:52 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sabre wrote:
pHyR3 wrote:BMM and Big T have really faded away, seems like they are disinterested, lazy etc. from all reports.
What reports would they be?
Individual members fantasy speculatin BS reports, little news means people begin to make things up
thought i heard something about BMM not going too well in training. And his selection in the eels trial and missing out on 9s seems to follow the same pattern.

Unless Big T can channel some kind of inner agression, he wont make FG. Defence poor, high ball poor and he runs the ball back with little impetus. I can see why potter left him out if he also sees these traits in Taqele's game.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Mon 10 Feb, 2014 11:08 pm

Some interesting names not in the squad. Hopefully we'll see these blokes either fit or named come round 1.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Anthism

Post by Anthism » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 1:22 am

willow wrote:
happy tiger wrote:We keep hearing Fulton is injured

Does anyone know what is wrong

Willow any news on the injury updates ??
Sorry Happy, I have heard no news on Fulton and Sue's injuries. I know Moltzen is ahead of schedule but still ages away, Simona is progressing well but look for him in round 4 or 5. Brooks will start contact work in the next week or so.

A few things I noticed in the squad named on the official WT site:

Austin is recorded as tipping the scales at 97kg;
Blair has bulked up and is listed as 111kg;
Woods has bulked up and is listed as 114kg;
Gavet is listed as 108kg;
Thompson is listed as 107kg;
Sirro at 104kg (Although I believe he is closer to 107kg); and
Taupau listed as 112kg.

Throw is Sue at 107kg, BMM, Buchanan, Galloway and Ava S and we've definitely got the makings of a more solid forward pack this year which hopefully translates into a tougher ruck and more go forward for us.

There's a few players such as Koro, Moses, Nofo, Teddy and Paterson who I think will really enjoy this tournament.
Moses at 80kg, is that 5kg more than last year?
Enough for NRL should he prove himself?
Isn't it great we have so many pushing for the halves that are eager to prove themselves even with Moltzen out when we were getting a guy weighing 102kg to play out of position at halfback last season. This is the position we want to be in.
Brooks/Moses/Austin/Anasta. You can bet our NSW cup will benefit a lot too or even our u20s who will dominate this year with back to back S.G ball and Keebra national champs.
Scratching my head over Lawrence not being in there but pretty much what you'd expect otherwise

TonytheTiger

Post by TonytheTiger » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 7:43 am

philgood wrote:Great looking team!

What position does Delouise Hoeter play?
Fullback and Winger usually.

andrew 474

Post by andrew 474 » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 8:45 am

tigers winning this 9s comp wont shock me , the team looks good , good mix of size and speed , im having $ 10 on them , just got that feeling things are a changing

tigerbenji

Post by tigerbenji » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 10:07 am

They interviewed Fulton on Sat Night & he said he should be back for Cronulla trial or First round Game. B

tigerbenji

Post by tigerbenji » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 10:09 am

They interviewed Fulton on Sat Night & he said he should be back for Cronulla trial or First round Game. Brooks had been doing contact work for about a week or so.Will have a few Dollars on the Tiges winning the Nines also.

The Hill

Post by The Hill » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 12:11 pm

Thing with players like BMM and Mr T playing 9's is you need to have exceptional levels of fitness to play these shorter versions of the game and you need very high work rates. I think this is an area where these players are let down compared to some of the others named.

These guys have the size but if they have to make one long run in attack or defense would that see them puffing for a while? Not exactly sure what the interchange rules are but you want your players to be able to run up and down the field a lot. Also you want them to be agile as there's more space which makes defense that much more important.

While Mr T has the size to dominate the wing in 9s, nofo and koro are faster, and both are also very strong. Throw in Richards and they all have some speed and strength. If we were a weaker club Mr T may have played.

I think Gavet and Taupau are fitter than BMM, and more likely to keep putting their hands up for a hit up, and both have explosive power as well, despite being small than BMM

yeti

Post by yeti » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 3:52 pm

The Hill wrote:Thing with players like BMM and Mr T playing 9's is you need to have exceptional levels of fitness to play these shorter versions of the game and you need very high work rates. I think this is an area where these players are let down compared to some of the others named.

These guys have the size but if they have to make one long run in attack or defense would that see them puffing for a while? Not exactly sure what the interchange rules are but you want your players to be able to run up and down the field a lot. Also you want them to be agile as there's more space which makes defense that much more important.

While Mr T has the size to dominate the wing in 9s, nofo and koro are faster, and both are also very strong. Throw in Richards and they all have some speed and strength. If we were a weaker club Mr T may have played.

I think Gavet and Taupau are fitter than BMM, and more likely to keep putting their hands up for a hit up, and both have explosive power as well, despite being small than BMM
Pretty good assessment I think.

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 6:29 pm

Never thought Id say this about a WT team,but think this squad is actually too heavy to win a 9s comp..?
Its a bit of an unknown of course,but i would have thought the ideal forawrd wld be big enough to bend the line in attack & draw opposition players,but mobile enough to be capable of defending in one on one defence which were going to need.
Guys like Sironen Blair Thompson fit this description.we have lots of props with somewhat limited mobility
Next,I wld have thought that speed in the outside backs wld be a great asset,so wheres lawrence?
Maybe were looking at this as another trial,but there is significant $$ on offer
Having said all that,its encouraging to see weve got a lot of big boppers in our ranks this year..Im still recovering from that Souths match late last season where they simply outmuscled us(like most teams did all season)

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 6:55 pm

blair is 111kg i think, so he's heavy too.

but you might be onto something there.

although I think it'll be a lot closer to 13s than people expect though. we're too used to watching 7s imo.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

The Hill

Post by The Hill » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 9:29 am

clontarfkid wrote:Never thought Id say this about a WT team,but think this squad is actually too heavy to win a 9s comp..?
Its a bit of an unknown of course,but i would have thought the ideal forawrd wld be big enough to bend the line in attack & draw opposition players,but mobile enough to be capable of defending in one on one defence which were going to need.
Guys like Sironen Blair Thompson fit this description.we have lots of props with somewhat limited mobility
Next,I wld have thought that speed in the outside backs wld be a great asset,so wheres lawrence?
Maybe were looking at this as another trial,but there is significant $$ on offer
Having said all that,its encouraging to see weve got a lot of big boppers in our ranks this year..Im still recovering from that Souths match late last season where they simply outmuscled us(like most teams did all season)
The props listed may be even more mobile than Blair or Sirro so don't know what you're on about there. The middle of the field will still be fairly congested.

And you say you want speed in our backs yet 3 of our 4 fastest players are named (simona the other). Rowe and Moses are both very quick too. Lawrence wouldn't even be in our top 6 for speed these days unless some miracle has happened over Christmas.

We have a combination of agile big guys, fast outside backs ,a couple of quality halves and a great hooker. Perfect mix. Comes down to combinations now, but really we have listed the best squad out of all the clubs in the NRL so we'll be in with a good shot for winning the comp.

alex

Post by alex » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 10:25 am

Nofoaluma ruled out. BMM his replacement.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 10:36 am

No Brooks ,Simona ,Lawrence ,Fulton and Nofoaluma

$17 isn't even tempting now

phil1986

Post by phil1986 » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 11:13 am

happy tiger wrote:No Brooks ,Simona ,Lawrence ,Fulton and Nofoaluma

$17 isn't even tempting now
I don't think this is going to be as much of a problem as most think... We still have plenty of speed with teddy and koro.

Plenty of strength and offload, with bmm taupau Siro gavet

Should be interesting to see how we go?

Fraze23

Post by Fraze23 » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 11:49 am

Assuming Nofoaluma is being replaced by either Rowe or Hoeter, is having one speedster on the bench enough for the entire tournament?

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 11:59 am

Fraze23 wrote:Assuming Nofoaluma is being replaced by either Rowe or Hoeter, is having one speedster on the bench enough for the entire tournament?
BMM is going.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...