Visa issues may prevent Koirobete from playing nines

tigeryoungster

Visa issues may prevent Koirobete from playing nines

Post by tigeryoungster » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 6:10 pm

Auckland Nines: Wests Tigers winger Marika Koroibete in doubt due to visa dramas

Wests Tigers Marika Koroibete may not be able to play in the Auckland Nines. Photo: Jonathan Ng

One of rugby league's most exciting speedsters, Marika Koroibete, is in danger of missing the inaugural Auckland Nines tournament due to visa issues.

The Wests Tigers squad arrived in Auckland on Thursday but there was no sign of Koroibete, who was left behind to sort out paperwork with the immigration department.

A noted speed merchant who has scored 12 tries from his 15 first-grade appearances, Koroibete appeared perfectly suited to the truncated version of the game. However, he will miss the tournament if the visa issues aren't resolved early on Friday.

"There appears to be an issue with Marika's paperwork," Tigers CEO Grant Mayer confirmed. "We are confident as a club that these can be resolved by tomorrow morning and that he will join the squad. If the issue remains unresolved, we have Corey Brown on standby."

Should he be unavailable, it will be a blow to the Tigers' prospects. While they are at long odds for the NRL premiership, the joint-venture outfit is among the favourites for this weekend's competition due to their speed in the outside backs.

A former schoolboy sprinting champion who posted a 10.75-second 100-metre time in his teens, Koroibete equalled Kevin McGuinness" record of four tries in a game two years ago.
It's not the first time red tape has stalled Koroibete's footballing commitments. He was late returning for pre-season training after finishing his commitments for Fiji in the World Cup. Club officials had to track down the 21-year-old via his Instagram account due to his tardiness in applying for a visa.

Communication problems – there is only one landline telephone in Koroibete's Fijian village Navaiyawa – exacerbated the delay. He eventually returned after submitting a copy of his private healthcare policy to complete his visa application.

Koroibete spoke excitedly about the prospect of participating in the Eden Park event on Wednesday. "There's going to be lots of people there, all the boys from every club," he told weststigers.com.au. "I'm really looking forward to Saturday ... to play with my speed and do my type of thing. There are heaps of tough guys from other clubs, guys like Ben Barba and [Akuila] Uate. It's going to be hard and we really try to get some momentum, I will try to do my best."
Koroibete's journey from a tiny Fijian village to NRL stardom has made him a cult hero, but Brown's story is no less inspiring. Should he get a call-up it will be a remarkable rise after he was diagnosed with viral encephalitis when he was 16. The condition causes swelling of the brain and left Brown in a coma for three weeks.

His family was told if he woke up he wouldn't live an independent life and his footballing aspirations were over. However, Brown defied the doctors, went on to top the Sydney club rugby tryscoring list in 2012 and made his debut for the Western Force in their clash against the British and Irish Lions last year. Also lightning quick, he was picked up as cover for the Tigers' outside backs in the off season.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z2tBQne1I4

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 6:19 pm

This crap really needs to be sorted once and for all.

Im guessing its a WTs problem, he didnt appear to have any dramas going to England for the WC

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 6:36 pm

I believe the VISA issues stem from that trip and not coming back to Aus first before returning to Fiji

It is a convoluted process at the best of times but yes needs to be sorted once and for all

quintus
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by quintus » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 6:49 pm

This is ridiculous, our admin staff should not be leaving visas and other very important documentation for the players to attend to. We most definitely have an admin problem within our club and have had for years.

iofthetigers

Post by iofthetigers » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 7:40 pm

I am surprised Corey brown is on standby, he must have went ok last week

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 7:59 pm

He scored a double according to the article in the NSW cup forum.

Snake

Post by Snake » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 8:04 pm

I have been impressed with the professionalism shown by management lately but in this instance very poor .Really the club should be taking care of this type of business as the young man has basic English skills and these types of things can be complicated.This is not hard guys!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 8:30 pm

It could be immigration thats being the difficult party....that wouldnt surprise anyone....we dont really know

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 8:35 pm

Don't worry guys he's coming. Just read is been resolved but im on my phone so can't be bothered to link :P
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

willow

Post by willow » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 9:09 pm

If it has been resolved then that's good, I reckon Koro will love it over there. Having said that, Brown is one of the quickest at the club and went ok against the Eels last week bagging a double and he'll be keen to learn and develop as the season goes.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 9:15 pm

Some blame has to be put at Koroibete's feet

I know he struggles with English , but if he is really keen he would have had this sorted out already

He seems to be lacking motivation at times

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 9:30 pm

happy tiger wrote:Some blame has to be put at Koroibete's feet

I know he struggles with English , but if he is really keen he would have had this sorted out already

This crap is what agents/player managers are for...blame him.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 9:33 pm

innsaneink wrote:

I wonder what players did before agents and managers ??

quintus
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by quintus » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 9:39 pm

Admin paid employees and not management are responsible to oversee and administer the players affairs. I wonder if it's the same people who are responsible for memberships....sure looks like it from here....

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 9:49 pm

happy tiger wrote:
innsaneink wrote:

thats like you being late for work by 3 hours cause your car broke down 10km away and then me going "i wonder what people did before cars...."

it could be Koro, it could be the club, it could be the immigration department, it could be a lack of reading comprehension from Koro (fair enough, he's new to the language) or it could be the fact there was ONE phone line in his whole town which seems to be where this problem started
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 10:06 pm

pHyR3 wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
innsaneink wrote:

thats like you being late for work by 3 hours cause your car broke down 10km away and then me going "i wonder what people did before cars...."

it could be Koro, it could be the club, it could be the immigration department, it could be a lack of reading comprehension from Koro (fair enough, he's new to the language) or it could be the fact there was ONE phone line in his whole town which seems to be where this problem started
And how long has he been back in Australia ??

Stop making excuses , if these blokes can't take a tiny bit of accountability for their own lives something must be seriously wrong

Next thing you will want minders to play choo choo trains and feed them :roll:

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 10:46 pm

happy tiger wrote: Stop making excuses , if these blokes can't take a tiny bit of accountability for their own lives something must be seriously wrong

Next thing you will want minders to play choo choo trains and feed them :roll:
Agree Happy. You can only plead ignorance for so long....I am getting tired of this guy and I certainly wouldn't want to be his Manager he would be a lot of hard work.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:05 pm

who said theyre not taking accountability? maybe theyre not apologising to you, but that doesnt mean theyre not taking accountability.

what, you want koro to come out and make a public apology on 9 for leaving a day later (but still in time) for the a preseason comp that means nothing?

im just saying there's a million legitimate reasons that its NOT his fault. "hey manager, can you sort out my visa for me?"

"yep, all sorted. dont worry about it!"

or maybe its the immigration department. getting working visas sorted is a massive pain in the ass....