James Gavet keen to impress at Auckland Nines

Post Reply
User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 32204
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: The Village

James Gavet keen to impress at Auckland Nines

Post by willow » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 8:57 pm

James Gavet keen to impress at Auckland Nines
Dan Talintyre

Thursday 13 February 2014 4:55 PM
James Gavet keen to impress at Auckland Nines

Of all the Wests Tigers players making the trip across the Tasman for the 2014 Auckland Nines, few know the journey and the cost more than James Gavet.

Gavet was born and raised in Auckland, the host city of the two-day tournament, and made his name as a footballer by working through the ranks with both the New Zealand Warriors NYC team and the Vulcan Warriors. He eventually moved to the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs for the 2012 season and the Wests Tigers the season after that, but not without leaving several memories and loved ones behind in Auckland.

“I’ve got a son [James Junior or JJ] and a fiancé [Christie] back there, so it’s going to be good to play in front of your home crowd and family,” said Gavet. “It’s half a dream come true at the moment. We’re still in a season of trial games but to be picked in the Nines in its debut year and it just happens to be in my hometown, it’s all happening for me at the right time.”

With just one first-grade match to his name in the past two seasons, Gavet’s inclusion into the Nines squad could be seen as a bold decision from Mick Potter. But with one glance at the towering forward’s frame and one look at his ball-playing skills, the decision to pick the 24-year-old is self-explanatory.

Checking in 186cm and 108kg of sheer muscle, the man from Roskill South looms as a man-mountain on the field, and a potential star of the Auckland Nines.

Particularly given his past experiences with rugby-sevens in New Zealand.

“I come from a union background so I’ve played quite a bit of sevens growing up,” said Gavet after training during the week. “It’s pretty similar. We’ve been going through it at training and trying to string a few plays together but it comes down to more of a flamboyant style of playing and not as many set plays.”

Which should suit the former Auckland local more than most.

“Yeah, front-rowers aren’t supposed to do that type of thing,” laughed Gavet as he recalled a shock grubber-kick and re-gather he executed during training. “But Mick [Potter] cheered me on after I did that.

“It was unfamiliar territory just to break the line!

“Everyone’s looking to the speedsters, the guys that can really step, but there’s a lot of guys in the forwards that can do offloads and are really special. Adam Blair has good footwork and he can ball-play and so can Aaron Woods with his overhanging offloads, so you’ve almost got to expect the unexpected.

“Not many people have been counting us in this year but they don’t really see what we’ve been doing behind closed doors,” he said. “This is our chance to show them.”

The Wests Tigers kick off their Auckland Nines tournament when they take on the Gold Coast Titans at 11:00am AEDT on Saturday, February 15, before following that up later in the afternoon when they take on the Cronulla Sharks at 2:20pm.


User avatar
Demps
Member
Member
Posts: 6961
Joined: Sat 29 Jan, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by Demps » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 8:59 pm

Honestly looking forward to finally seeing him play.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Majere77
Member
Member
Posts: 325
Joined: Sat 23 Feb, 2013 9:23 pm

Post by Majere77 » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 9:05 pm

Demps wrote:Honestly looking forward to finally seeing him play.
Agreed, I have seen him play a few times as a youngster and i can't put my finger on quite what it is but he has something special about him.

Phantomlock
Member
Member
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu 20 Oct, 2011 5:36 am

Post by Phantomlock » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 6:08 am

Finally getting to show his wares. He's building nicely towards his NRL début in WT colours.

He and Taupau coupled with Woods and Sauce together with Buchanan and Ava complementing, we could have one of the better propping rotations in the League.

Looking forward to seeing how our big boys go against the Dragons especially after seeing them get dealt to by South last night.

PL

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3725
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 7:45 am

Phantomlock wrote:Finally getting to show his wares. He's building nicely towards his NRL début in WT colours.

He and Taupau coupled with Woods and Sauce together with Buchanan and Ava complementing, we could have one of the better propping rotations in the League.

Looking forward to seeing how our big boys go against the Dragons especially after seeing them get dealt to by South last night.

PL
Yeah phantom, I am hoping so and have been pushing his barrow a bit as well. I think that Potter had him first in line of the new forward boys at the start of last season until his unlucky foot injury sustained at home. Could have showed a bit more enthusiasm when he returned last year though, even if the second tier cap meant that he would not get a shot in firsts.

Probably lucky the coach and Mayer recognised his potential and gave him another year. Time to honor that faith now and push for a good contract.

He has that venom that we are sadly lacking. If he can bring to us a matured version of the player he was when playing NYC and still young with the Vulcans over your way, he will have no problem keeping a spot in our top seventeen.


tiga4eva
Member
Member
Posts: 2044
Joined: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 8:09 pm

Post by tiga4eva » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 8:12 am

formerguest wrote:
Phantomlock wrote:Finally getting to show his wares. He's building nicely towards his NRL début in WT colours.

He and Taupau coupled with Woods and Sauce together with Buchanan and Ava complementing, we could have one of the better propping rotations in the League.

Looking forward to seeing how our big boys go against the Dragons especially after seeing them get dealt to by South last night.

PL
Yeah phantom, I am hoping so and have been pushing his barrow a bit as well. I think that Potter had him first in line of the new forward boys at the start of last season until his unlucky foot injury sustained at home. Could have showed a bit more enthusiasm when he returned last year though, even if the second tier cap meant that he would not get a shot in firsts.

Probably lucky the coach and Mayer recognised his potential and gave him another year. Time to honor that faith now and push for a good contract.

He has that venom that we are sadly lacking. If he can bring to us a matured version of the player he was when playing NYC and still young with the Vulcans over your way, he will have no problem keeping a spot in our top seventeen.
I watched him in a NSW Cup game last year vs Mounties and he looked really disinterested. Didn't bend the line at all. I went out to the trial @ Camden and couldn't believe it was the same player. Hopefully he's turned the corner.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

User avatar
pHyR3
Member
Member
Posts: 5048
Joined: Tue 12 Feb, 2013 7:11 pm

Post by pHyR3 » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 11:49 am

He mighta still been recovering from the injury? It was very long term i think, so he's not gonna bounce back first round and rack up 140metres and 30 tackles.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

tiga4eva
Member
Member
Posts: 2044
Joined: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 8:09 pm

Post by tiga4eva » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 3:53 pm

pHyR3 wrote:He mighta still been recovering from the injury? It was very long term i think, so he's not gonna bounce back first round and rack up 140metres and 30 tackles.
True. He's been real impressive this pre-season. Should be rewarded with a bench spot.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Post Reply