learnings from 9s so far(early days)

clontarfkid

learnings from 9s so far(early days)

Post by clontarfkid » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 7:59 am

1)Tedesco has surprising pace-if someone can put him in space,this mite be his year.
2)Richards provides stability , size & vesrasaitility in the backs.
3)Tapou,Patterson & Gavet are all big & mobile,exactly what we need ,& mite finally restore some respect to the pack thats been missing since Ellis departed
4)Playmakers remain in very short supply-unsure about Austin in this role,Moses promising but needs another 8-10kg..so Brooks really needs to deliver.
5)Error rate(dropped balls /missed tackles)still needs significant focus
Overall,encouraging

Defiant
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Defiant » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 9:58 am

Its pretty obvious we will struggle to win anything with Marika in the team.

He absolutely refuses to trust his inside man and will not stop the person he is supposed to mark.

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 10:21 am

Defiant wrote:Its pretty obvious we will struggle to win anything with Marika in the team.

He absolutely refuses to trust his inside man and will not stop the person he is supposed to mark.
It looks as tho he feels he has the pace to run anyone down, which he probably does in most cases. However not when you're defending close to the line.

Hope he can work on his defence in Reggie's as he is nothing but a weapon in attack.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 10:48 am

He needs to stay on his man...i like his enthusiasm, but on ht eline he needs to stick on his man....not giving up on him yet.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:00 am

Im confident that Marika will be less exposed in the 13 man game. I haven't seen too many teams hold out defending on their line this weekend.

Our biggest issue is errors and penalties which puts pressure on our defensive line. Get rid of the errors and penalties and our defence will improve overnight.

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:01 am

Austin and Marika very disappointing.
Blair still enjoying his holiday at Wests Tigers.
Farah as annoying as ever with those kicks of his.
Potter doesn't know much about nines.
Our youngsters coming through are not as good as Wests Tigers make out.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:10 am

Irvine wrote: Potter doesn't know much about nines.
This is what concerns me most. I am hoping that Potter was using the 9s as pure trials and didn't attempt to win it. If not, it suggests further strong doubts about his tactical nous.

Post by Guest » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:12 am

southerntiger wrote:
This is what concerns me most. I am hoping that Potter was using the 9s as pure trials and didn't attempt to win it. If not, it suggests further strong doubts about his tactical nous.
someone said Payten was running the team for this?

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:13 am

Its head and shoulders above the All Stars game which i never bothered watching. I've enjoyed it, hope its a yearly thing.

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:21 am

Guest wrote:
southerntiger wrote:
someone said Payten was running the team for this?

Payten..No way his a very smart coach. Playing a fullback in nines lol nah it had all the look of Potter coaching.

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:22 am

Does anyone know if Austin actually completed a tackle this w/e..?Know it was a trial ,but his technique is a shocker.
He may have played himself out of 1st grade for season opener.
..and if potter doesnt fix the ridiculous error rate(yep,it was just a trial)in both attack & defence,he'll play himself out of 1st grade ...!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:25 am

southerntiger wrote:Im confident that Marika will be less exposed in the 13 man game. I haven't seen too many teams hold out defending on their line this weekend.

Our biggest issue is errors and penalties which puts pressure on our defensive line. Get rid of the errors and penalties and our defence will improve overnight.
It seems the penalties are all due to our defensive deficiencies....I'd say get the defense right and theres no need to push the envelope in the tackle/ruck...we just cannot compete here.
We get our D right this in turn means less penaltys, more ball, less fatigue and less errors in possesion - hopefully

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:27 am

innsaneink wrote:
southerntiger wrote:Im confident that Marika will be less exposed in the 13 man game. I haven't seen too many teams hold out defending on their line this weekend.

It seems the penalties are all due to our defensive deficiencies....I'd say get the defense right and theres no need to push the envelope in the tackle/ruck...we just cannot compete here.
We get our D right this in turn means less penaltys, more ball, less fatigue and less errors in possesion - hopefully
You could be right on this one.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:31 am

Payten ran the 9's tournament for us.

Potter was there as a spectator to see a few guys and how they shape up

Wagga Tiger

Post by Wagga Tiger » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 12:39 pm

smeghead wrote:Payten ran the 9's tournament for us.

Well that will deflate Irvines bubble, IMO we took the wrong squad, Farah should not of played nor Woods. Unfortunately probably our best 9's player Fulton was injured.

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 12:47 pm

Biggest learning from the 9's for us is that our discipline issues from last year around the ruck have not been addressed...this was also evident at last weeks trial

Anthism

Post by Anthism » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 12:51 pm

Poor form if so. We should have taken this competition seriously. We are a club struggling with money and members both of which would have been helped by doing well in this. Bet that was part of the reason we were favourites at some point.
We better be smashing it in the actual season.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 2:17 pm

No wonder they played like an U20's team.

"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...