Wests Tigers v Knights - Nines - game III

simonthetiger

Re: Wests Tigers v Knights - Nines - game III

Post by simonthetiger » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:02 am

southerntiger wrote:
innsaneink wrote:Onya farah kick on tkle 1 10 m out...brainfead
Selfish thy name is Farah. How did one of the smartest players in the game from 2005 to 2008 become one of the dumbest?

Why dont u have whinge about Robbie ST???

Turn the record over for Jebus' sake...we get it.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:02 am

Look loosing isn't the issue for me , what bothers me is the fact there was no effort , heart or even the slight bit of interest out there.
I think it might be an attitude thing at our club and it all starts with the coach .
By round 10 I fear Potter might be unemployed and Payten to step in.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:03 am

tigermaniac wrote:
southerntiger wrote:Mate you do realise that in 9s there is extra space meaning its very hard for a defender to make body tackles don't you?
Mate I do. But it's not good reading when you have more missed tackles than tackles made.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013
I am not so worried about missed tackles in 9s. I am more worried about our defensive structure and reads. We were horribly exposed every time the Knights shifted the ball as our defensive line always over commits and bunches. Our complete inability to deploy a sliding defence (which I would have thought was the obvious tactic in Nines) has me very worried.

Zaibatsu

Post by Zaibatsu » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:03 am

happy tiger wrote:I'll give you some positives

1/ Half the side the top side is still in Australia (Keefy ,Brooks ,Rowdy ,Simona ,Sue ,Sirro ,Nofoaluma)
It's not about who played mate, it's about attitude, our attitude in defense was very, very concerning... Just arm grabbing, nothing else.

Good defensively coached sides don't just switch it off because it's a pre-season match, they show good traits in any match, attacking plays may lapse but good attitude in defense is one of those things that sticks, no matter the game, and our defensive attitude was very, very concerning leading up to the start of the season.

It's by no means the end of the world, I'm actually kind of glad we are now out of this thing as the injuries across the 9's have been horrible, and knowing our luck we'd end up with more, but anybody who writes that defensive effort off with no concern is going to be in for a very rude shock this year I feel, because attitude says an awful lot about the general state of a side.
happy tiger wrote:I'm personally glad we got a performance like this out of our system
Performances, we were abysmal defensively in every match. The Titans, Sharks & Knights all looked like scoring on every tackle they had.
Last edited by Zaibatsu on Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:03 am

simonthetiger wrote:
southerntiger wrote:
innsaneink wrote:Onya farah kick on tkle 1 10 m out...brainfead
Selfish thy name is Farah. How did one of the smartest players in the game from 2005 to 2008 become one of the dumbest?

Why dont u have whinge about Robbie ST???

Turn the record over for Jebus' sake...we get it.
Mate I will stop whinging about Robbie when you stop whinging about Blair i.e. never.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:06 am

Thankfully that mess is over and the boys can get back on the plane and get stuck into some defensive training. Completely out-enthused and outplayed in that match.

Anthism

Post by Anthism » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:07 am

Relax, Roosters probably have the same composition team as us in terms of top players and are looking pretty average against the Dogs who sucked yesterday.
Even the Eels are doing well in this format so I wouldn't read into it that much.
Didn't watch any games yesterday other than scores but defense has been horrible for most teams.

Post by Guest » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:07 am

Snowy wrote:I know it's only the nines but it just seems it's going to be another long year :(
So judging by this Parra shod make the top 4. Gimme a break guys

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:09 am

Think people are going to read too much into this. At the end of the day i don't think the players take it THAT seriously. Also don't forget for a few of them its their first hit out in 6 months.

Having said that, the jumper grab from a senior player did nothing to have his critics think he might prove them wrong this yr. You'd think he of all players would come out with a point to prove but no. Korobiete's effort in their second try was just as woeful as well.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:12 am

Zaibatsu wrote:
happy tiger wrote:I'll give you some positives

1/ Half the side the top side is still in Australia (Keefy ,Brooks ,Rowdy ,Simona ,Sue ,Sirro ,Nofoaluma)
It's not about who played mate, it's about attitude, our attitude in defense was very, very concerning... Just arm grabbing, nothing else.

Good defensively coached sides don't just switch it off because it's a pre-season match, they show good traits in any match, attacking plays may lapse but good attitude in defense is one of those things that sticks, no matter the game, and our defensive attitude was very, very concerning leading up to the start of the season.

It's by no means the end of the world, I'm actually kind of glad we are now out of this thing as the injuries across the 9's have been horrible, and knowing our luck we'd end up with more, but anybody who writes that defensive effort off with no concern is going to be in for a very rude shock this year I feel, because attitude says an awful lot about the general state of a side.
happy tiger wrote:I'm personally glad we got a performance like this out of our system
Performances, we were abysmal defensively in every match. The Titans, Sharks & Knights all looked like scoring on every tackle they had.
People have got to understand this is a young squad and as I have been saying for the last 5 months we are going to have good weeks and bad weeks The young fellas all struggle in their first 40-50 games of their NRL careers for consistency and we have many players in that category

Our full strength NRL squad is much stronger mentally and has far ,far more experience that will help settle this side down

Yes the attitude was bad but half the players in our nines squad shouldn't get near the NRL squad thankfully

People have to be patient , this is going to take time . We just need to make the right decisions over the next 12-18 months on who we recruit , who we keep and who we get rid of

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:16 am

innsaneink wrote:The kmights seemed to cope OK defensively
The Knights are coached by Wayne Bennett.
Anthism wrote:I think Robbie having such a big break was not a good idea. He's been back for a month?Posted using RoarFEED 2013
His Robbie Farah he can do whatever he likes. Who's going to stop him ?

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:27 am

Irvine wrote:
innsaneink wrote:The kmights seemed to cope OK defensively
The Knights are coached by Wayne Bennett.
Anthism wrote:I think Robbie having such a big break was not a good idea. He's been back for a month?Posted using RoarFEED 2013
His Robbie Farah he can do whatever he likes. Who's going to stop him ?
....and your point is....?

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:28 am

Defence? This is not a format for defence. Check out all the other teams, there is none.

It seemed to me that our team was not at all interested in this game. At least we did not get any more injuries. Half of that team will not be in our first grade squad.

Hardly the time for wrist slitting.

In my opinion only the following players will be in the top squad.

Richards
Tedesco
Farah (but he had better pull his finger out)
Patterson
Tapaou?
Gavat.

Gazman

Post by Gazman » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:32 am

Loving the preseason banter, as it looks like we have really missed the footy over the off season, but seriously though you cannot run a form line on the performances across the board with the 9s at present. I think we never recovered from those early penalties and mistakes and in that heat, once the knights got a roll on, they were never going to catch up so that only added to the mistakes with adlib play. Looking at the sides going well the thing that seems consistent is how their squads are made up. We have a largely trial based team and given no proper halves combinations and communication would also be light on so I can understand the poor defensive reads. A week ago with a more structured Team A we showed how great they were against Penrith and how Team B faired against Parramatta. I was looking forward to being surprised like I was at the 7s in 2004 when we won that comp, but that's life. I will wait till season proper starts before I start getting out the razor blades.

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:34 am

Think Woods will get a guernsey Col,& Blair is simply too expensive to leave out(at the start of the season anyway)& BMM deserves a run somewhere.
Think korio & austin definitely played themselves out of a spot(it was there on a plate for both).
Austin a major disappointment,but maybe I expected too much

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:37 am

Just don't care about it at all.

From my exposure to the three trials I have seen (NRL, NYC & NSW Cup) Potter has focused very much on structure and numbers in tackles. Exactly the opposite of what you want in a 9's format in many ways and the team played in a fashion reflective of that.

Great fluctuations every game and within games and zero attention to detail.

If anything it makes me happy to see the difference in trial form to the 9's. One bred success and the other bred errors and losses. Hopefully set in the minds of our guys the benefits of structure over ad lib

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:38 am

I am absolutely not worried about what I saw at all except for our handling. If anything it's a positive because it will give the team an insight into what to expect out of the referees in terms of play the ball speed and show Potter that certain players need to work hard on their ball handling over the next fortnight.

We didn't field a full strength team, the Knights and the Titans both did.

One on one defense is challenging when there is more space in the line, possession was vital in this format and our handling was sub par and it cost us in the two matches we lost. In the second we held the ball and won. It's really a fluke format. Start well and hold the ball you win.

I expect that our defensive strategy during the year proper will be multiple men in every tackle and control the ruck speed. In this format we were unable to do either.

So chill.

huggarz

Post by huggarz » Sun 16 Feb, 2014 12:04 pm

smeghead wrote:Just don't care about it at all.

From my exposure to the three trials I have seen (NRL, NYC & NSW Cup) Potter has focused very much on structure and numbers in tackles. Exactly the opposite of what you want in a 9's format in many ways and the team played in a fashion reflective of that.

Great fluctuations every game and within games and zero attention to detail.

If anything it makes me happy to see the difference in trial form to the 9's. One bred success and the other bred errors and losses. Hopefully set in the minds of our guys the benefits of structure over ad lib
Totally agree with this. This ain't rugby league.
To be honest if I was Potter, even just a single day spent purely on 9's tactics would be too much right on the eve of a new season.