Continued poor defence

innsaneink

Re: Continued poor defence

Post by innsaneink » Mon 17 Feb, 2014 8:21 pm

Pretty much foreveratiger

Though not sure on fitness being the key issue, mainly just being defensively poor, not wrestling well, being outmuscled, and or being smaller

It all starts with defence....you cant get anything else right until you get the defense right

Knuckles

Post by Knuckles » Mon 17 Feb, 2014 8:41 pm

Fans read too much into trial form and 9's form for that matter. The real comp starts in a couple of weeks .... That is the real judgement day.

Mind you I thought we were in with a hope in the 9's but they blew right out in the betting so the smart money was right. I think we are 50/1 outsiders to win the comp in the last market I saw. I think you can put a nought on the end of it .... We'll be down with Canberra in the bottom three or four this year .... Anything better will be a pleasant surprise.

Easy Tiger.

Post by Easy Tiger. » Tue 18 Feb, 2014 1:19 pm

We were last in the getting the other day $67

Posted using RoarFEED 2013
NO 1 QLD TIGERS SUPPORTER.....

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Tue 18 Feb, 2014 1:38 pm

I don't really understand the concern at this point. People were happy with the Penrith game and then not so in the 9's. The intensity defensively in the 9's was average as a whole. Way too many soft tries from all teams. I know there was some good defence in the 9's at times but certainly not on the whole.

Furious1

Post by Furious1 » Tue 18 Feb, 2014 2:29 pm

I couldn't think of anything worse than coming out of the offseason into a 7s or 9s tournament. All the training geared towards the 13 a side game, no match fitness and high speed play. To me it's a recipe for disaster.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Tue 18 Feb, 2014 2:59 pm

fergiefurr wrote:Ever since the the wests tigers came into the comp we have been an extremely poor defensive team. For 10 years under sheens we never had a problem scoring, but all bar 2 years (when I believe folkes was defensive coach) our defence was a joke. I could give potter last year off as it was entirely sheens team.

Today was more of the same, I know it's the 9s and there is a lot more space, however when I see jarred Mullen running directly over the top of bodene Thompson I really have to ask what is going on.

This is a 107kg back rower, never coached by sheens, who can't put a small halfback down one on one front on. I don't see this happening at other clubs, yet when I see it happen with one of our forwards I'm not surprised. Blake Austin having a great shot on the smallest winger I've seen in years and barely making an imprint on him for the first try.

Seriously what is it? I was one of sheens biggest critics, however if our defence is a complete shambles this year the blame can't be put on him anymore.

I really hope I am over reacting and come the regular season this changes, but the last 2 days hasn't filled me with any confidence.
Over reacting is correct.

Did you watch all of the games? The whole idea in the 9's is for all out attack. If they wanted defence it would have been called the 19's.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 18 Feb, 2014 4:08 pm

So what were the teams that held their oppositions to nil, and very low scores doing Col?

Goose

Post by Goose » Wed 19 Feb, 2014 4:19 pm

think 9's is a poor guide for our defense.

All teh systems are different, obviously more space, it is literally a different game.

apparently we defended well against Penrith, this is also not the be all and end all either, but a better guide.

We will know more as the season progresses.

Joshu@tigertown

Post by Joshu@tigertown » Thu 20 Feb, 2014 12:30 pm

fergiefurr wrote:Ever since the the wests tigers came into the comp we have been an extremely poor defensive team. For 10 years under sheens we never had a problem scoring, but all bar 2 years (when I believe folkes was defensive coach) our defence was a joke. I could give potter last year off as it was entirely sheens team.

Today was more of the same, I know it's the 9s and there is a lot more space, however when I see jarred Mullen running directly over the top of bodene Thompson I really have to ask what is going on.

This is a 107kg back rower, never coached by sheens, who can't put a small halfback down one on one front on. I don't see this happening at other clubs, yet when I see it happen with one of our forwards I'm not surprised. Blake Austin having a great shot on the smallest winger I've seen in years and barely making an imprint on him for the first try.

Seriously what is it? I was one of sheens biggest critics, however if our defence is a complete shambles this year the blame can't be put on him anymore.

I really hope I am over reacting and come the regular season this changes, but the last 2 days hasn't filled me with any confidence.
Mr Potter was talking about how he is looking for agression and attitude during the trials, yet the arm grabbing still goes on. He should get his boys to sit down and watch Inno Inosesio play lock for reseve grade this weekend. His defence against the Eels was huge & hits on Fui Fui, Mitch Allgood ( who i thought was going to get stretchered off) and Vai Toutai which dislodged the ball is the AGRESSION & ATTITUDE we have always lacked. He recieved big wraps from Fui Fui and Tim Mannah after the game. Anyone saw the Mounties trial will know what im talking about. Looking forward to seeing Inno and Nathan Brown this weekend, 2 youngsters that have bucket loads of AGRESSION & ATTITUDE Mr Potter!

UP THE MIGHTY TIGERS

Joshu@tigertown

Post by Joshu@tigertown » Thu 20 Feb, 2014 12:33 pm

magpiecol wrote:

Over reacting is correct.

Did you watch all of the games? The whole idea in the 9's is for all out attack. If they wanted defence it would have been called the 19's.
All out attack has nothing to do with midget Mullen running over the top of Bodene Thompson!

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 20 Feb, 2014 12:43 pm

innsaneink wrote:So what were the teams that held their oppositions to nil, and very low scores doing Col?
True Ink

Then again if someone had told me at the start of the tournament that someone would win a game 8-0 and the team on nil being the Warriors I would of thought they were having a lend of themselves

Joshu@tigertown

Post by Joshu@tigertown » Thu 20 Feb, 2014 1:44 pm

Defence?? What's that you say?? Now while most teams were working on their attack given the number of players on the field over the weekend, Paul Green had said right from the very start that "DEFENCE" was the key for his team if they wanted to compete. Well the cowboys not only competed but they went and won the bloody thing!! Even holding the tournament favourites with Johnson & Tomkins to zip!!

Lets be real here people, yes we played the panthers and looked good in attack and scored some good tries but they were also missing some of their big name players. Round one will give us a good idea on how well our gym sessions have been used, and wether we'll need some extrat ones during the 1st half of the season. Fatique cannot be used an excuse!! Corey Parker, Paul Gallen etc who play 80 mins week in and week out for their teams consistantly top the tackle count and rarely miss tackles! It's all attitude when it comes to defence, simply scoring 30-40 points is hopeless if your opposition put 60 on you.
are constantly topping the tackling sheets

barra

Post by barra » Thu 20 Feb, 2014 2:28 pm

Our technique and commitment to the tackle has always let us down. Who have we now on board that will help us shake off that mindset? Corey Patterson? Taupau? Kidwell??

Do we need to wait for changes to occur that will include the likes of Sue, Brown and Inno replacing the likes of Thompson, Blair and BMM?

My concern is that as currently named our pack still has that 'same old - same old' look about it and while that is the case I find it hard to believe that a whole lot will change...