Braith Anasta key to Luke Brooks' NRL rise, says Wests Tiger

Black'n'White

Re: Braith Anasta key to Luke Brooks' NRL rise, says Wests T

Post by Black'n'White » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 5:39 pm

Preston Campbell

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 5:44 pm

Black'n'White wrote:Preston Campbell
Campbell was small but always had decent body mass for a little fella. He also didnt come into first grade as an 18 year old with a history of shoulder problems.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 5:53 pm

Moses is thicker than Preston. Campbell had a playing weight of 75 kgs, Moses is already bigger. Shoulder problems, seriously, we won a premiership off the back of a player with polystyrene shoulders... i dont know where you could possibly be going with this...

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 6:38 pm

Still think Benji's biggest problem was his technique He seemed to be almost coming up on an angle instead of driving the shoulder into the player

I don't think he was scared at all in the early days , but I think he was fearful in almost every situation (even diving to score ) that he would reinjure his shoulder after the Penrith shoulder injury

The time he injured it v Penrith (can't remember which one of the Pulatua boys it was ) he put a really solid shot on him and he was absolutely on the rampage close to the line .

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 6:49 pm

Bwaif is past it. Will always secretly hope he pulls it out of the fire for us, but the head says he won't.

Give Austin a go, we're crucifying this kid after a poor nines tournament where virtually the whole team was bad.
Just because it's soap doesn't mean it's clean.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

versa

Post by versa » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 7:36 pm

pHyR3 wrote:
Guest wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
"hybrid_tiger" wrote:I'll give it six weeks before he is dropped, unless he's drastically improved from last year which seems impossible.

Braith may be a model professional but he's a player on the slide, and simply not good enough anymore.
We should get an idea from this weekends trial , but that is my point

Who else can we put in a 6

Austin has had 16 games Moltzen is injured and Moses isn't ready yet physically or mentally

We have to hope the football gods smile on Braith and give him one last good season in the sun

you're comparing Austin, a guy stuck behind average halves at Penrith, to DCE and Foran?? why don't we show some faith in Mulcahy or Eddy Paea. Anasta and Brooks, at least for a few weeks sounds like a good start for me.

Both were good in that last trial, but Austin was very poor in defence in 9s and offered almost nothing in attack or kicking. We'll be able to make a better decision by next week, but I think Anasta will start in Round 1

Yes penrith did have pretty average halves but Austin was injured with a foot injury and he also played more back row there. But to be honest I don't remember Manly have any halves after Orford & Lyon. So DCE and Foran didn't have much competition there also. I hope one day these brooks & Austin get a crack. As for Austin d it was pretty crap but so was the whole teams. Plus 25-0 you not doing any attacking at all. 9's is nothing like the real thing. If it Brisbane will play cowboys in gf. Doubt it very much

willow

Post by willow » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 7:55 pm

There was an article in RLW released yesterday regarding Anasta and Austin. According to the article Potter is in two minds as to who will get the round 1 gig. Anasta was the pre-season favorite but Austin has impressed Potter and all the coaching staff with how professional and how hard he has worked, plus he impressed in the Panthers trial.

I reckon if he stands out ahead of Anasta tomorrow night he may just get a run in round 1.

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 8:06 pm

I was at the Panthers trial and Austin was super impressive....he got MOM apparently.

I understand why Potter favors Anasta, makes sense, but I agree with Willow, if Austin pulls off another top notch game tomorrow night especially pairing with Brooks he will be hard to overlook for the No6 in Rd1....Even if Anasta does start at 6 in RD1, Austin will keep the pressure on him i'm sure.

Defiant
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Defiant » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 8:30 pm

Anasta's baby is due on the dragons game day, Enough reason to give Austin first shot imo.

tigertye

Post by tigertye » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 8:55 pm

Black'n'White wrote:Preston Campbell
Good point BnW, Presto was a freak and showed that small dudes can make it. IMO the game is changing and more and more teams are opting for bigger sides. Many wingers and centres are built like backrowers, they're athletes. There's still going to be small guys who are good players (Barba, Milford, Hodgo, Campbell, Srama, etc) but I seriously believe it would be a huge risk playing a "growing" young man with a decent history of injuries too early just to possibly win a few more games. If he were to suffer a serious injury it could potentially shatter his confidence and put his progress back months or even years. I think waiting for his body to fill out and not rushing him in is a safer option. The team may suffer without his attacking skills for now, but in the long term would it be better to lessen chance of injury?

I think people get too impatient with young guns and want to rush them in because the current players in that position may not offer as much or be out of form. Understandably. We just have to trust that the coaching staff know when the time is right, and that they grab the opportunity in the same way Brooks did.

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 9:11 pm

Well, obviously not too many have heard of the Tortoise and the Hare. The key word for 2014 is patience. patience and more patience (Hang on is that three key words).

What Brooks knows is a little, his experience is limited, his combination with other team members is also limited and his body is not going to be used to being smashed by giant forwards and I mean smashed. I think he is going to be a really good player from what I have seen - he has a lot to learn and pray tell who is he going to learn this from - Austin, Moses and Sironen. I don't think so; they have nearly as much to learn as him.

We have no one better than a former SOO player who has played more than 250 NRL games etc, - his name is Anasta. He maybe a little slower (so was Joey at the end, so was Cliff Lyons at the end), played injured and out of position last year to help the team out, but he is the most experienced player in the team. As such he is the ideal person to help Brooks learn the NRL game (totally different to anything he has played before) - in fact it is like chalk and cheese. He will take him under his wing and this kid will be a champion but not this year. He will learn, Anasta will teach and he will hold his own at 6 whilst doing this.

Austin and Moses will have their turn and they will be good players as well if they knuckle down, work hard and listen. They are not the 6 we need at the moment - one learner at a time please and I don't care what they did at Manly. I think this kid will be better but let us keep the pressure off, give him time to learn the game, learn to guide the team, build the combinations, improve his kicking game and defence.

He will reap the rewards but we will reap much more from the patience we show - another few Premierships.

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 9:14 pm

Well, obviously not too many have heard of the Tortoise and the Hare. The key word for 2014 is patience. patience and more patience (Hang on is that three key words).

What Brooks knows is a little, his experience is limited, his combination with other team members is also limited and his body is not going to be used to being smashed by giant forwards and I mean smashed. I think he is going to be a really good player from what I have seen - he has a lot to learn and pray tell who is he going to learn this from - Austin, Moses and Sironen. I don't think so; they have nearly as much to learn as him.

We have no one better than a former SOO player who has played more than 250 NRL games etc, - his name is Anasta. He maybe a little slower (so was Joey at the end, so was Cliff Lyons at the end), played injured and out of position last year to help the team out, but he is the most experienced player in the team. As such he is the ideal person to help Brooks learn the NRL game (totally different to anything he has played before) - in fact it is like chalk and cheese. He will take him under his wing and this kid will be a champion but not this year. He will learn, Anasta will teach and he will hold his own at 6 whilst doing this.

Austin and Moses will have their turn and they will be good players as well if they knuckle down, work hard and listen. They are not the 6 we need at the moment - one learner at a time please and I don't care what they did at Manly. I think this kid will be better but let us keep the pressure off, give him time to learn the game, learn to guide the team, build the combinations, improve his kicking game and defence.

He will reap the rewards but we will reap much more from the patience we show - another few Premierships.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 9:17 pm

tigertye wrote:Brooks is decently built for his age for a halfback. Moses' frame is still way too small to deal with the weekly grind of rugby league.
Did anyone ever watch Hodgo ? He was never big and he went pretty well.

You won't know how well he will hold up until he is given a chance. Its sometimes hard to tell based on looks who is going to be tough and who isn't.

A different sport but there are boxers and fighters with knockout power who aren't necessarily big or look the part.

Give the kid a go if he looks the best rugby league player in that position.

quintus
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by quintus » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 10:15 pm

Anasta is the man to guide Brooks through this most difficult period in his NRL baptism of fire. We should be thankful that we have such an experienced 5/8 on our books. I hope those in doubt have the courage to admit that they were way off the mark when we trounce our most fancied opponents in the competition proper. I will say again that we will be somewhere in the top eight...I have no doubt about that. What do you think about that Daddy?

Knuckles

Post by Knuckles » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 10:24 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:I'll give it six weeks before he is dropped, unless he's drastically improved from last year which seems impossible.

Braith may be a model professional but he's a player on the slide, and simply not good enough anymore.
That's if he lasts six weeks .... He's bound to get injured again.
Austin won't have to wait too long.

phil1986

Post by phil1986 » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 11:06 pm

happy tiger wrote:Still think Benji's biggest problem was his technique He seemed to be almost coming up on an angle instead of driving the shoulder into the player

I don't think he was scared at all in the early days , but I think he was fearful in almost every situation (even diving to score ) that he would reinjure his shoulder after the Penrith shoulder injury

The time he injured it v Penrith (can't remember which one of the Pulatua boys it was ) he put a really solid shot on him and he was absolutely on the rampage close to the line .
Agree happy, I won't lie ive had 3 recos,
My tackling technique change dramatically.

Everything from the approach to the commitment and movement.

It was inevitable, psychological and physically for him.

Poor bloke was always on the back foot.

Mind you, I never looked as bad as benji I'm defence, but also I was a lot bigger when playing.

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Sat 22 Feb, 2014 12:08 am

Its a bit of an unknown isn't it?
He didn't get many chances in the halves last year. When he played 5/8 against the Dragons when Brooks debuted I thought he went alright. That's his recent form so I am going with that.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Sat 22 Feb, 2014 8:22 am

I wouldn't read much into the comments by Potter - just another story to keep the fans happy.
If Braith has always been the key to Brooks future success then how come Moltzen was going to be our five eighth before getting injured.
Braith going to keep him stready from the back row or bench?