Braith Anasta key to Luke Brooks' NRL rise, says Wests Tiger

alexaki

Braith Anasta key to Luke Brooks' NRL rise, says Wests Tiger

Unread post by alexaki » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 2:23 pm

BRAITH Anasta will be a key figure in the emergence of Wests Tigers youngster Luke Brooks in the NRL this season, says coach Mick Potter.

One of the game's most hyped youngsters in recent memory, Brooks makes his first appearance of the pre-season against Cronulla in both clubs' final trial on Saturday.

Brooks, 19, has had his pre-season disrupted by a stress fracture of the back and missed the Tigers' opening trial win over Penrith and last weekend's Auckland Nines.

Potter has confirmed Brooks and 275-game NRL veteran Anasta will be the Tigers first choice halves combination this year and they get their first chance to show their wares against the Sharks.

“I think Braith is going to be invaluable for Luke this season,” Potter said.

“He will temper the enthusiasm a little bit and because Luke will see opportunities and want to capitalise on those and it might be the right time or it might be the wrong time it will be a good balance for us, to have those two working together.

“You throw Blake Austin into the mix too and it is good combination.”

Much expectation sits on Brooks' young shoulders, but Potter said he is ready for the week-to-week demands of the NRL after making his first grade debut last year.

“I want him to be stable, steady and composed and I think he is that type of kid,” Potter said.

“I don't think he will be phased by anything they are going to throw at him and physically he is ready for the demands.”

Tigers skipper Robbie Farah is looking forward to playing with Brooks.

“He had a disrupted pre-season with the injury so we just have to get him comfortable within the side so he can play his own role,” Farah said.

“I know there is a lot of expectation on him. He is a good kid everyone knows that. Tomorrow night is just about getting that first game under his belt and getting some confidence.”

The Tigers confirmed the foot injury to utility Curtis Sironen suffered at the Nines is worse than first thought. He will miss around 12 weeks.

“It is devastating for him, for a young guy that seems like an eternity, unfortunately these things happen,” Potter said.

What many pple on here have been saying...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6833794598

hybrid_tiger

Unread post by hybrid_tiger » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 3:02 pm

I'll give it six weeks before he is dropped, unless he's drastically improved from last year which seems impossible.

Braith may be a model professional but he's a player on the slide, and simply not good enough anymore.

pHyR3

Unread post by pHyR3 » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 3:12 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:I'll give it six weeks before he is dropped, unless he's drastically improved from last year which seems impossible.

Braith may be a model professional but he's a player on the slide, and simply not good enough anymore.
it's footy, the impossible often becomes reality.

there'll be a million surprises in 2014 and very little will pan out as predicted by the experts as is usual.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

hybrid_tiger

Unread post by hybrid_tiger » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 3:15 pm

pHyR3 wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:I'll give it six weeks before he is dropped, unless he's drastically improved from last year which seems impossible.

there'll be a million surprises in 2014 and very little will pan out as predicted by the experts as is usual.
I'm no expert, just a very interested observer.

I'm not sure anyone, expert or not, could possibly argue against the fact that Anasta is well past his best as an NRL player.

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by sheer64 » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 3:16 pm

Problem is that will be six weeks wasted and Brooks needing to find another partner.

I must admit Waste looked good on Fox sports commentating on the nines, pity he cant make an immediate permanent move there.
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!

Black'n'White
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Black'n'White » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 3:27 pm

Im with you Phyre...

Early in the Cowboys they had a half, Smith I think it was, smoked a pack of darts a day was long in the tooth, but had the uncanny knack of being able to make the game run at his own speed. Joey Johns, as skillful as he was, also had that same gift although different, he almost mesmerized defences into waiting on him... Im not saying Brooks is in that freaky class, but good service from Robbie and from my limited exposure to him, he also seems to have plenty of time.

Maybe, just maybe, he could buy Braith that half step he is off the pace, who knows. All we know as of now is that Braith wasnt up to speed with Bunji tourettes brand of football. Im on the fence with Braith, not arguing for or against him, just know we need to give him grace and evaluate the situation once it has a chance to unfold.

happy tiger
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 3:28 pm

We should get an idea from this weekends trial , but that is my point

Who else can we put in a 6

Austin has had 16 games Moltzen is injured and Moses isn't ready yet physically or mentally

We have to hope the football gods smile on Braith and give him one last good season in the sun

If not , our season won't even get off the runway

pHyR3

Unread post by pHyR3 » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 3:34 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:
pHyR3 wrote:

I'm not sure anyone, expert or not, could possibly argue against the fact that Anasta is well past his best as an NRL player.
im not saying he's gonna be a SOO bolter, but considering he was playing injured for a lot of last year, i think that this year (with a full offseason at 6) he can help temper brooks and compliment his game nicely. Take pressure of him when needed etc.

We'll get a good look in this week, the spine is Tedesco, Anasta, Brooks and Farah vs. Sharks right? If so, I'm very eager to see how those 4 come together. Couldnt care less about the rest, except maybe Koroibete a bit.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 3:38 pm

pHyR3 wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:
pHyR3 wrote:

im not saying he's gonna be a SOO bolter, but considering he was playing injured for a lot of last year, i think that this year (with a full offseason at 6) he can help temper brooks and compliment his game nicely. Take pressure of him when needed etc.

We'll get a good look in this week, the spine is Tedesco, Anasta, Brooks and Farah vs. Sharks right? If so, I'm very eager to see how those 4 come together. Couldnt care less about the rest, except maybe Koroibete a bit.
Yeah that's all that's important ,our defence won't matter at all

I hope to God that Anasta can keep Roosterman off the Forum

If he does that I'll know that things are OK

Black'n'White
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Black'n'White » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 3:42 pm

if our props are serviced well, and not fed to the wolves like previous years, the defence will follow. There is nothing like knowing you are actually in the game to lift the "D". Just better kicking alone to punctuate sets will see us grow a leg in tackles.
Last edited by Black'n'White on Fri 21 Feb, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sabre
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by Sabre » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 3:42 pm

276 First Grade games between them.
Pretty good experience there.

Unread post by Guest » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 3:52 pm

happy tiger wrote:

Austin has had 16 games Moltzen is injured and Moses isn't ready yet physically or mentally

We have to hope the football gods smile on Braith and give him one last good season in the sun

Mate it's time for the coach to show faith in the younger breed. Anasta was terrible last year. "Happy Tiger" you state Austin has only played 16 games. So what?? Brooks has only played 1. Cherry Evans & Foran played bugger all aswell now look at them. Hasler showed faith in them. And they took manly to a title. Playing consistent footy 90% of the time. Brooks & Austin have to get a shot sometime and just so happens to be at the same time. Potter should embrace he has 2 very talented players young hungry and ready to make there mark in this competition we call the NRL

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

pHyR3

Unread post by pHyR3 » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 5:02 pm

Guest wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Mate it's time for the coach to show faith in the younger breed. Anasta was terrible last year. "Happy Tiger" you state Austin has only played 16 games. So what?? Brooks has only played 1. Cherry Evans & Foran played bugger all aswell now look at them. Hasler showed faith in them. And they took manly to a title. Playing consistent footy 90% of the time. Brooks & Austin have to get a shot sometime and just so happens to be at the same time. Potter should embrace he has 2 very talented players young hungry and ready to make there mark in this competition we call the NRL

you're comparing Austin, a guy stuck behind average halves at Penrith, to DCE and Foran?? why don't we show some faith in Mulcahy or Eddy Paea. Anasta and Brooks, at least for a few weeks sounds like a good start for me.

Both were good in that last trial, but Austin was very poor in defence in 9s and offered almost nothing in attack or kicking. We'll be able to make a better decision by next week, but I think Anasta will start in Round 1

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 5:11 pm

Guest wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Anasta injured his groin during the Saints game and basically didn't play at 6 at all

6 has always been his best position imo ,I just hope he can find some of the old magic

Granted that hope is based on a few prayers , but what else can we do ??

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 5:18 pm

happy tiger wrote:Moses isn't ready yet physically or mentally
Why is this being said so often. Why not play him and see how he goes. Why is Brooks ready but Moses isn't.

I really don't see how Anasta is ready for first grade footy based on last year's performances. I hope I'm wrong and he comes good but on the basis of last years play Anasta is not a first grade rugby league player.

We don't know if Moses or Brooks can handle it until they are given a decent chance.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by formerguest » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 5:20 pm

happy tiger wrote: I hope to God that Anasta can keep Roosterman off the Forum

If he does that I'll know that things are OK
A novel new way to measure success.
Black'n'White wrote:Just better kicking alone to punctuate sets will see us grow a leg in tackles.
Yeah, got to be better than a handover for out on the full, or stuff all gain from a midfield bomb, as we have become accustomed to.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 5:24 pm

stevetiger wrote:
Why is this being said so often. Why not play him and see how he goes. Why is Brooks ready but Moses isn't.

I really don't see how Anasta is ready for first grade footy based on last year's performances. I hope I'm wrong and he comes good but on the basis of last years play Anasta is not a first grade rugby league player.

We don't know if Moses or Brooks can handle it until they are given a decent chance.
Welllll Steve I'm not convinced that Brooks is ready physically either yet

He had a few broken bones when he was younger also

tigertye
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by tigertye » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 5:31 pm

stevetiger wrote:

He's not stevetiger. Brooks is decently built for his age for a halfback. Moses' frame is still way too small to deal with the weekly grind of rugby league. If we played him he would eventually get injured and he could be mentally scarred about playing or putting his body on the line or in the same position on the field. Look at Benji - all the skills when he started, but physically not ready and he spent his initial years in the NRL injured, in his book he even said that "to this day putting my shoulder in worries me" (yeah I know he couldn't tackle and it's probably an excuse) but I think you get my drift. After any serious injury (especially ACL's) players are constantly thinking that if they do a similar movement they'll redo their injury. Also being a 70kg young man up against 120kg+ guys can be mentally challenging. No doubt he has the skills, but with his current frame he'll get smashed and hurt. He should hit the gym hard this season, with an aim to ease him into NSW Cup, and "MAYBE" a bench spot towards the end of the year like Souths did with Keary. By 2015 he should be physically ready and that will give him a more comfortable mentality taking on the line with the big boys.

Return to “Preseason || Trials || Auckland 9's”