Tigers and Sharks match review

fergiefurr
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Tigers and Sharks match review

Unread post by fergiefurr » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 1:10 pm

Appreciate yeh thoughts of those who were there, unfortunately I couldn't make it and find that fans give you a more curate description of what happened then the papers, club reports do.

BrotherJim05

Unread post by BrotherJim05 » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 1:32 pm

I'm really excited about Gavet and Tupau. If Galloway can come back 100% fit, I could see these two on the bench making huge impact. Big, mobile and very aggressive.
Does anyone know what Gavet's preferred position is? While he could prob play lock I would like to see him have at least 5 games as a bench prop to see how he goes.
New Generation

Majere77

Unread post by Majere77 » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 1:36 pm

BrotherJim05 wrote:I'm really excited about Gavet and Tupau. If Galloway can come back 100% fit, I could see these two on the bench making huge impact. Big, mobile and very aggressive.
Does anyone know what Gavet's preferred position is? While he could prob play lock I would like to see him have at least 5 games as a bench prop to see how he goes.
He is a prop. Never seen him play any other position.

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by willow » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 1:58 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:Will Simona be a walk up start if he's fit for round 1? would he need a week or 2 in NSW cup for match fitness?
Not sure on that one. He had a great year last year but he is coming back from a shoulder reco and Lulia hasn't really done anything poorly in the trials, he's got some size too which is handy and defended well last night.

Couldn't hurt to give Simona a couple of weeks in NSW Cup and see how he goes, along with Lulia in FG. We look to have more depth this year which is a bonus.

willow

Unread post by willow » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 2:02 pm

Majere77 wrote:
BrotherJim05 wrote:I'm really excited about Gavet and Tupau. If Galloway can come back 100% fit, I could see these two on the bench making huge impact. Big, mobile and very aggressive.
He can handle front row but I reckon he would be a handful on the edges as a backrower, considering we have Woods, Galloway, Ava, Taupau, Brown and Buchanan up front. I think using Gavet in the backrow gives the forward pack that extra bit of size and he's quite mobile so having him lurk on the edges could work well.

Anyway, we'll see what unfolds over the next few weeks. He needs to be in the 17 somewhere.

spearby

Unread post by spearby » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 2:56 pm

willow I thought Paterson would be the running 2nd rower on the edges

willow

Unread post by willow » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 3:43 pm

spearby wrote:willow I thought Paterson would be the running 2nd rower on the edges
He'll be one and I would have him starting in Sirro's absence. I would consider using Gavet as a wide running second rower off the bench though.

I'd consider a starting pack for round 1 as:

Woods
Farah
Taupau
Patterson
Thompson
Blair

Bench:

Galloway
Gavet
BMM/Ava
Fulton/Sue

pHyR3

Unread post by pHyR3 » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 3:57 pm

Looks good willow!

Although Blair and BMM aren't look too great in either trials. Blair MIGHT be able to do okay up the middle if he can sort out his discipline. He must be too used to ref's leniency from when he was at storm or something...

Haven't been able to get a good gauge on BMM.... such a confusing player.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

Phantomlock

Unread post by Phantomlock » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 5:00 pm

Majere77 wrote:
In an interview last year he said he enjoyed playing prop and thought that to be his best position. I've seen him play other positions though.

When he was named Prop of the Year in NSW Cup in 2011 I saw him play a few times at second row and once at lock. He absolutely terrorised opposition second rowers and centres but no one in the Vulcans could bend the line like him so they kept him at prop which was kind of a shame because many thought he would be a superstar on the edges - comparisons to SBW etc. Many don't know he's also a star at basketball and volleyball.

I still think he needs to develop his defensive game further though before venturing wider than the middle. Potter and Kidwell may help him do that, we'll see.

By the way Hasler had big things for him in 2012:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 24185.html

Hopefully his injuries woes are well and truly behind him.

PL

Irvine

Unread post by Irvine » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 5:58 pm

formerguest wrote:Thanks Willow, a good and reasoned post as usual. Along with Snake's post and a words from Irvine, between them I got a much appreciated feel for last night's hitout.
Yeah..Thanks former........finally a mention for all my hard work :lol:

Unread post by Guest » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 10:39 pm

azsportza wrote:A few highlights I captured from tonight's game –
Go tges

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Gray

Unread post by Gray » Mon 24 Feb, 2014 1:48 am

From the look of az's vid there's a lot of work being done off the ball too which is great! Not just forwards like Blair standing and watching the play happen, there were forwards running lines and a lot of 2nd play movement and options happening for the ball player.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Return to “Preseason || Trials || Auckland 9's”