Defensive structure/pairings

Eddie

Defensive structure/pairings

Post by Eddie » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 7:02 pm

Can we afford to have the combination of Anasta, Lulia and Koro together? 2 of them have an alarming lack of pace and the other makes very poor decisions. Teams will really carve us up here I fear.

Brooks also seemed to get posted a number of times. I think we had Fulton next to him early in the game but even he has left flat footed for Satins first try.

Maybe it is nothing to do with structure and all do do with belief, confidence and attitude. We do not seem to have any of these traits however that has been the case for a number of years.

It is only 1 game, and it was a hot day. However when you get 40+ put on you in Round 1 it often means you are in for a long season (2013)

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 7:05 pm

I said on the way into the ground I was very worried about our right side with Anasta/Thompson/Lulia/korobiete. They made st.georges attack look lethal. You could nearly put up with it if they could at least attack. Lulia is just horrible, he does nothing well. God I hope Simona and nofo are back next week.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 7:07 pm

Also agree with the first try, I was more disappointed in Fulton. He would have known they were going to have the edge forwards running at brooks, he should have done more.

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 7:10 pm

Im a korobiete fan but his D is rubbish. There is too much player watching.
At least Joel Reddy used to be safe on his side.

Brooks .... ah well .. there was no where for him to hide today. All he could manage was catch and pass and losing meters with his kicks..

Teddy a standout, the rest werent even average ..

Real headache watching us blow a lead and get thumped .. God help us

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 7:12 pm

Lawrence being right footed needs to make the sacrifice and play on the right to allow Simona to play left centre. Simona/Richards and Lawrence/Nofo looks a better balance.

A lot comes down to our backrow as well. Im a fan of Patterson but he was very poor today. Thompson i just cant warm to.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Master Tiger

Post by Master Tiger » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 7:12 pm

Some players will have to be dropped, and some players will need a good chat and tell them what to do and stick to it. It's only round one, we will get better it just might take some time for everything to go our way!

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

Tuiaki Chicken Wings

Post by Tuiaki Chicken Wings » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 7:20 pm

Too much arm grabbing and bumping off of tackles. The amount of times the saints players offloaded with 2/3 players hanging off them was astounding. Lulia's miss on Beale for that third try was soft, I can't see his value to the team. Kidwell needs to tell these blokes to put a shoulder in and stop the leg drive, metres after contact killed us today!

tottie

Post by tottie » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 8:45 pm

Tuiaki Chicken Wings wrote:Too much arm grabbing and bumping off of tackles. The amount of times the saints players offloaded with 2/3 players hanging off them was astounding. Lulia's miss on Beale for that third try was soft, I can't see his value to the team. Kidwell needs to tell these blokes to put a shoulder in and stop the leg drive, metres after contact killed us today!
Our first contact is poor and has been since day one. Until we stop blokes (especially with 3 in a tackle) and offloads we will lose more than we win. Only gibbs, ellis and gibbs have been effective.

tottie

Post by tottie » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 8:46 pm

tottie wrote:
Tuiaki Chicken Wings wrote:Too much arm grabbing and bumping off of tackles. The amount of times the saints players offloaded with 2/3 players hanging off them was astounding. Lulia's miss on Beale for that third try was soft, I can't see his value to the team. Kidwell needs to tell these blokes to put a shoulder in and stop the leg drive, metres after contact killed us today!
Our first contact is poor and has been since day one. Until we stop blokes (especially with 3 in a tackle) and offloads we will lose more than we win. Only gibbs, ellis and gibbs have been effective.

Fulton as well.

laufoofan

Post by laufoofan » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 8:51 pm

These guys only know how to grab. Unfortunately they fall of tackles. It is going to be a long year. They just wait for the opposition to come to them instead of up in their face, especially near our defence line, which is a real shocker.Kidwell has a lot to do.

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 9:06 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing some line speed in defence. Too many times we waited for the dragons to come to us. We put no pressure on them.

Really gave this game away.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 9:06 pm

greatodensraven wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing some line speed in defence. Too many times we waited for the dragons to come to us. We put no pressure on them.

Really gave this game away.

Exactly. Cant work out why Potter persists with the sluggish line speed.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 9:16 pm

Poor line speed was blatant today...we wait for them, it happens when you constantly get pushed back anyway.
That said I thought the PTB was much slower than other games Ive seen this weekend

The rot has set in early....it was terrible, so disappointing yet not surprising

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 9:57 pm

we couldn't keep up with Saints . Lulia and Anasta are clearly not up to first grade anymore .

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 10:04 pm

1/4 chicken,chips wrote:we couldn't keep up with Saints . Lulia and Anasta are clearly not up to first grade anymore .
Add Patterson to that list for now too.
He couldnt even pass the ball properly.. real shame

russelldp

Post by russelldp » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 10:10 pm

[quote="innsaneink"]Poor line speed was blatant today...

It has been for three years, but we just never improve on it.

Saints were sprinting up today, as were Parramatta- we were by far the worst in this area all weekend.

Unless this improves the spoon is a forgone conclusion I'm afraid.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 11:19 pm

I thought koro was alright. Lulia was very poor though, one of our worst. He must have let in 2 tries himself and did nothing in attack.

Fulton was shadowing brooks, and when he was knocked out i guess no one remembered to tell someone to help him out and luke was over run.

Dragons line speed was quick, ours was poor. I dont think we play well in the heat, cold and wet seems to suit us. I'll wait to round 5 or so to really judge us properly.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."