Notes I took while watching

TIGER

Notes I took while watching

Post by TIGER » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 10:17 pm

Obviously defence up the middle is weak still. Can't see it getting better with the young players we have.
Kicking game woeful still
Last tackle options poor and woeful still
Attack is as weak as our defense only constructed one try ourselves and that was early when we were fresh after that didn't even look likely.
80 mins????????????????

Players

Don't want to be critical but Brooks defense looked very sus, not surprised, even though everyone who has been watching him develop say his defence is solid.
If he does nothing else id like him to just concentrate on his kicking game. By the looks of it he is going to be playin behind a beaten pack so his kicking is the most valuable thing he can provide to this team.

Lawence - is still slow, doesn't get enough ball or get involved enough. Is he still a centre?

Patterson - is crap we can't have him Fulton and Thompson in the same 17.

Lulia - is a average, but Simona will fix that.

Anasta - Well I can't knock him but he's not what we need and potter needs to make a decision and asap.

We are still the best team at making ordinary players look like superstars.

Positives

Gavet - Encouraging return! he's still raw which is both positive and negative atm but I like his involvement, effort and enthusiasm. Needs time

Taupau - impressed attack wise. Looking forward to seeing his progression.

Teddy - Classy! but the question is, did he stand out because everyone else was so poor?

Richards - Seems like he hasn't missed a beat. We have a genuine goalkicker but it looks like it won't be a deciding factor sadly.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 10:21 pm

I don't get the gavet raps, I don't care how big and fast you are, if you can't tackle you shouldn't be in first grade. His defence is downright disgraceful. BMM straight in for him please.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 10:42 pm

Was he the number 17 with the shaggy hair? If so he should be sent back to the u/10's to learn how to defend. Certainly not a first grader at the moment.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 10:50 pm

fergiefurr wrote:I don't get the gavet raps, I don't care how big and fast you are, if you can't tackle you shouldn't be in first grade. His defence is downright disgraceful. BMM straight in for him please.
New bloke, sight unseen...wild hair neck tatts equates to mongrel and a hard arse....people judge a lot on appearance

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 10:54 pm

Not saying he was outstanding he's raw as, as you'd expect after being out for so long and having little fg experience anyway. But at least he showed enthusiasm and had a crack, he reminds me of daine laurie, hopefully turns out better than that.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 11:04 pm

The criticism of Gavet is ridiculous. He made loads of impact. More in one game than Buchanan did all season last year. This was his SECOND EVER first grade game. Same as Brooks. Do we punt Brooks? Brooks was worse than Gavet in defense and made less impact ball in hand too imo. Of course we don't!

Give him some time to get used to the speed of the game before you pan him. The way he runs at the line alone is enough reason to keep him up there. We need guys like him who want to collide.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 11:05 pm

innsaneink wrote:
fergiefurr wrote:I don't get the gavet raps, I don't care how big and fast you are, if you can't tackle you shouldn't be in first grade. His defence is downright disgraceful. BMM straight in for him please.
New bloke, sight unseen...wild hair neck tatts equates to mongrel and a hard arse....people judge a lot on appearance
Surely you saw the way he ripped into the defense when he had the chance? He runs at the line like an absolute madman. He wants to be there and in a match when the rest of the team looked like they didn't, it stood out to me and his errors can be forgiven unlike some others...

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 11:32 pm

Big fellas just got tired at the end, it was a long hot day. Gavet was badly beaten on that last try, but Farah was stepped also, and Gavet tried to make up for it by chasing hard (in vain).

Gonna be a long year if you attack big fellas who get stepped by little fellas.

The entire team was poor in defence; inability to lock up the ball, no sting in the hits, too much hanging back and watching (Widdop especially, the guy is custard). Couldn't identify a consistent culprit, they shared the poop around.

alex

Post by alex » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 12:00 am

Agreed that our last tackle options are poor. It was always an attacking play - a cross field kick, a spiralling bomb. Whatever happened to potting it into the in goal to go for a repeat set? There was not one instance today where we looked like doing that. We let the Dragons off the hook too easy. On a day like today we should've been making them work back to back sets in defence - instead we kept on giving them 7 tackles from the 20m line (which they scored off of at least two that I can recall).

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 12:04 am

It was so painful to watch twice

The black label Johnny made an appearance after 15 minutes

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 12:09 am

Agree with mac re gavet.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 12:47 am

I was hugely impressed by Gavet in the context of the match. Ran hard and always seemed to bend the line, pretty much our only forward to do that too. Good work putting in the chase on that try too, would've liked to see Robbie alongside him but he gave up long ago.
As many have said, the game needs to be taken out of Farah's hands. Give the team to the youngsters and let them develop of their own accord, not in the shadow of a hooker earning his rep and paycheck on performances long gone.

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 2:13 am

VanillaThunder wrote:I was hugely impressed by Gavet in the context of the match. Ran hard and always seemed to bend the line, pretty much our only forward to do that too. Good work putting in the chase on that try too, would've liked to see Robbie alongside him but he gave up long ago.
As many have said, the game needs to be taken out of Farah's hands. Give the team to the youngsters and let them develop of their own accord, not in the shadow of a hooker earning his rep and paycheck on performances long gone.

The first try was awesome and I was really hyped at that point. Then Teddy's try and I was ecstatic!
Farah scored (did he actually score that?) and then it just seemed to go to crap?

I kept wondering why they didn't keep swinging it out wide like they did scoring that first try?! Farah just got the ball from dummy half and passed to a forward going straight into the defence...2nd,3rd,4th,5th tackle...and on it went!

Maybe he wasn't well still or something, but farah was awful today. I thought back to brooks' debut and farah didn't play that day. Could it be farah is more hinderance than help? Could Vanilla be on to something?

I'm hoping today's game is an anomaly.... Surely they have to be better than that?

Without excusing such a poor performance, could it be that the whole boils thing sapped a few players' energy?

Will any of these questions be answered? Will the tigers play better next week?
Find out next week! Same bat time, same bat forum!

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 3:53 am

MacDougall wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
Surely you saw the way he ripped into the defense when he had the chance? He runs at the line like an absolute madman. He wants to be there and in a match when the rest of the team looked like they didn't, it stood out to me and his errors can be forgiven unlike some others...
So did Diane Laurie, maybe we should get him back?

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 7:11 am

MacDougall wrote:Surely you saw the way he ripped into the defense when he had the chance? He runs at the line like an absolute madman. He wants to be there and in a match when the rest of the team looked like they didn't, it stood out to me and his errors can be forgiven unlike some others...
I thought he was great. He was really putting in.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 8:50 am

He also missed about 20 tackles.

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 8:54 am

For me the BMM swap will be for Patterson.
Between Gavet and Patterson, he was worse.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 9:11 am

Discipline was their undoing. Warm to hot day and you give the other team set after set and yes your defense will turn into a rabble. Physically they hit the wall early and that resulted in the game falling in a heap. Farah was out on his feet at oranges, maybe the battle the team had with infection took a big toll. It also has to be noted we were down a interchange player for a long time.

I was their at the game and yes they were terrible but way to early to be cutting my wrists

Ps. Anasta has to be flicked