Instead of complaining...

pHyR3

Instead of complaining...

Unread post by pHyR3 » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 11:04 pm

....let's have a look at our weaknesses and how we can improve them. (aside from saying we lack heart, we're s**t and SACK POTTER).

For me, there were TWO fundamental areas that the tigers failed to execute at even the most basic level in the 2nd half.

1) Last play options: I'm not sure how much has been spoken about this tonight, but they were absolutely abysmal after our 3rd try. No direction, no cohesion and poor kicks from both brooks and Anasta. I remember one of brook's ones curved back around behind koroibete and he had to scramble around to try and clean it up as best he could. Another was playing hot potato with it until Lulia ran 5m down the edge and kicked it to their fullback.

There were too many bombs. With the catching in the in goal rule, combined with a 7 tackle set if it goes dead, bombs are NOT the future of this game. Grubbers and hard hitting centres/2nd rowers supplemented by wingers creating overlaps appears to be the way forward. I barely saw a single grubber in that final hour, and i have no clue why. Brooks is great at it and it's so much more likely to result in some kind of error or misjudgement by a dragon. A bounce of the ball and we score. Instead, we chose to kick it up in the air, inviting them to simply catch it and bring it to the 20. (is this a 7 tackle set btw cause it should be).

2) Discipline - Im sure a lot of you were expecting me to say defence here. But apart from probably 4 players in the entire team letting people down (brooks, lulia, gavet and bodene) and 1 or 2 lapses here or there I thought our defence STRUCTURE was improved from last season for most of the game. Got a little lazy around the ruck as we faced set after set from the drags. But there were periods where i was quite impressed with our goal line D, holding em out for ~12 tackles BUT our lack of discipline resulted in a try on the 14th or 15th.

If you showed someone the penalty count (12-6 i think), most would instantly guess a 2 or 3 try victory to the team with 12. And they'd be correct, 3 more tries to the dragons. You simply cannot afford to give any team, even the NSW Cup wooden spooners, set after set after set from 30 out. you will concede points, and then you will blame the defence. We put up around 320 tackes in that game, 60 more than the dragons. You wont win many games with those stats, especially not in the heat as you fatigue far quicker and it really is a game of attrition there.

There were some other corrolary factors coming into the game. We didn't cope well with the heat (hell, neither did I. Drank about 1.2 L of water in an hour and ran out so bought an overpriced maxibon from those thieves at ANZ), and made errors and a few basic missed tackles as a result. The removal of richards, farah and lawrence definitely didn't help our cohesion or help kind of relax players going into the game. A little bit chaotic i guess, people in and out. Not quite sure how to explain it.

Anyway, those factors stood out to me. Maybe some other stuff seemed more important to you.

Many will fix themselves up. But the players just need to take a deep breath, and make next week a fresh start. Focus on improving communication and giving more options on the last play. Not just a bomb in the air. Also, go over discpline repeatedly through out the week. I was disappointed by our inability to adapt to the rule changes. I was hoping potter would try to instill that the speed was far greater and ways to avoid getting penalised. But i guess it's very hard to do in a week when you've trained all offseason to do the opposite.

If you've read this whole thing, congratz!
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

MacDougall
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by MacDougall » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 11:18 pm

Re: defense, it's just like last year and quite what you say.

We defend alright. Certainly not fantastic but we defend alright and did as well last year but we crumble in two situations. Accumulated pressure firstly and when the play breaks down/the other team start playing basketball.

When a pass goes astray or an opposition player runs on the last and almost gets tackled but breaks away backwards the team have no idea what to do. When the opposing team get desperate and start tossing it around we can't shut down the play. When the opposition is insistent on promoting second phase they almost always can.

In structure we defend okay and we did last year too, but we concede tries where there shouldn't be any very often, and if a team gets a couple of looks at our try line they'll likely score off the play where the play breaks down somewhat.

We need to work on two things defensively, wrapping the ball up and defending unusual situations. It's like when the play becomes unstructured from the attack, nobody knows their role and everyone panics. There needs to be a tactic to the panic defense.

happy tiger
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 11:29 pm

Stop making excuses phyr3

This is one of the clubs biggest problems

When we start to face the facts that are staring at most of us directly ,the club might also

Why do people think that before Round 1 we were the longest odds side and we had the least members

As I said previously ,I'll give them another chance , but if we get beaten again by twenty by another side we should be able to compete with we have issues that need some answers too

pHyR3

Unread post by pHyR3 » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 11:37 pm

Good point macdougall, hadnt thought of that. broken play sees us crumble more often than not.

Excuses happy? 320 tackles with a 11-6 penalty count is NOT defensible in 2014. You will concede several more tries than you score, especially with fill ins like Lulia. And we faced that because discipline was poor. That's a reason, not an excuse. We need to fix it ASAP.

Errors, missed tackles and a lack of impetus/cohesion near their try line all stems from that too as fatigue sets in in the boiling hot conditions out there.

Several on here mentioned 2 weeks ago that discipline needed to be sorted out. Blair, the main culprit in the trial, seemed to do that, but everyone else got infinitely worse.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 11:50 pm

And as I said you are making excuses as to why all this happened

And why it will continue to happen

We buy fringe first graders , we are ill disciplined and we have no commitment to winning the ruck

And until we change all of this ,what happened today will probably be the norm , not the exception

pHyR3

Unread post by pHyR3 » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 12:04 am

so saying we are ill disciplined (which is exactly what you just said) means im making excuses... interesting.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 12:12 am

pHyR3 wrote:so saying we are ill disciplined (which is exactly what you just said) means im making excuses... interesting.
Your having a shot about us complaining

I'm saying that from what is being said from the coach that we have played three games and Potter has said we have been ill disciplined in EVERY game

We don't need Potter to explain to us the obvious , he needs to be fixing it

Your making the same mamby pamby excuses for the Tigers that I have heard for fifteen years that this clubs players don't need to hear

They need to hear that this crap is unacceptable and won't be tolerated any more

Cue Mick Potter

pHyR3

Unread post by pHyR3 » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 12:21 am

I'm saying exactly what you're saying then...?

discipline is poor, and it needs to be fixed. haha not sure what this disagreement is about

on a side note, teddy's interview seemed to suggest potter really laid into them about their embarrassing 2nd half.

Winnipeg

Unread post by Winnipeg » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 12:25 am

It wasn't great but I'm going to wait until round 4 or 5 before I start breaking stuff

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 225 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 6:13 am

Gosh I wonder why were i;ll disciplined.

Ppl need to pull there heads outta there A...

Happy on the money, excuse thread

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 7:10 am

happy tiger wrote:I'm saying that from what is being said from the coach that we have played three games and Potter has said we have been ill disciplined in EVERY game

Agreed however when your captain is one of the worst offenders where does that leave you. I think Farah was terrible but I couldn't sack him. Do you play a hooker on the bench.

Tiger In The Gong

Unread post by Tiger In The Gong » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 8:03 am

happy tiger wrote: They need to hear that this crap is unacceptable and won't be tolerated any more

Cue Mick Potter
Agree 100%

supercoach
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by supercoach » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 9:24 am

Poor discipline, average kicking game and a defensive structure that falls in a heap when put under pressure,they have been our downfall for a few years now and have not gone away. All gets down to our playing roster, let's face it how many would get a run in most top eight sides??It's going to be a hard long year

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 9:59 am

The one thing many of us agreed on pre season was we didn't have high expectations but as long as they competed and gave 100 percent

In my opinion that didn't happen at all , that's why I'm pissed

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 123 times

Unread post by 851 » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 11:06 am

happy tiger wrote:
pHyR3 wrote:so saying we are ill disciplined (which is exactly what you just said) means im making excuses... interesting.
Your having a shot about us complaining

I'm saying that from what is being said from the coach that we have played three games and Potter has said we have been ill disciplined in EVERY game

Your making the same mamby pamby excuses for the Tigers that I have heard for fifteen years that this clubs players don't need to hear

They need to hear that this crap is unacceptable and won't be tolerated any more

Cue Mick Potter
Spot on,if after 6 months of training we come up with that against Saints,god help us in round 3 against Souths,first move by Potter should be Anasta to reserve grade.
He didn't do jack yesterday when Brooks was struggling, Anasta should of stepped up,instead he was invisible,time to go I say.
Lulia was awful,Rowdy was fine in defence but his attack was non existent.
Patterson was a major disappointment,Blair again did nothing,Farah was very poor,Gavet missed a lot of tackles as well.
Our discipline is as bad as ever,and our reads in defense are poor(Koro is the worst),we slide or back pedal on our try line,this can never work.
Potter and Kidwell need a really big week,and some tough decisions need making now,not in 4 or 5 weeks,over to you Mick.
Go hard or go home

Winnipeg

Unread post by Winnipeg » Wed 12 Mar, 2014 11:56 pm

I sawa video somewhere online that said anasta had a 'tough' phone call with Potter, and Farah in the post match seemed to feel like he didn't have his best match, so I'm hopeful they can learn some lessons.

I think Paterson and Brooks just had bad days, and are equally as likely to have good games this week through sheer probabilities

Return to “Round 1: Wests Tigers vs St George Illawarra Dragons”