Time for Burgess brothers to rethink intimidation

turnstyle
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 10 times

Time for Burgess brothers to rethink intimidation

Unread post by turnstyle » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 12:39 am

two articles on foxsports.com.au post game. one was very partisan towards souths, the other more credit was given to the tigers.

im posting the latter!
Time for Burgess brothers to rethink intimidation as aggressive Tigers trump Rabbitohs
Paul Crawley The Daily Telegraph March 22, 2014 12:05AM

THE next time Sam Burgess thinks about charging in to protect his little brother George he might want to think again.

You get the feeling rival NRL teams have just about had enough of the Burgess boys playing bully boys.

Last week they tried to rattle Jason King’s cage and Manly players later admitted that moment provided them with their inspiration.

On Friday night it was a similar incident that sparked the Wests Tigers to what will surely go down as one of the great upsets of the 2014 season.

We’re only three rounds into the new season but the one thing you can take out of Friday night’s 25-16 scoreline is that this young Tigers side are going to have some fun this year.

Luke Brooks is a little ripper and ever time James Tedesco touches the ball it just reminds you of a young Billy Slater.

But as wonderful as the young guns were, under some heavy fire at times, it was the heavy work up front that won the game for the Tigers.

And this was where the Burgess brothers provided the spark.

All up, five players ended up on report on a night of spite but it was incident in the ninth minute that ignited the bad blood that could just be a defining moment for both clubs going forward.

It all started when George Burgess was buckled over in a legitimate tackle from young Aaron Woods but Sam’s reaction was overboard.

By that stage Greg Inglis was already out of the game courtesy of a tackle from Tim Simona that ended on report but appeared accidental at worst.

But when Sam took exception to George being bent over backwards, he probably didn’t expect the reaction he got.

To a man, the Tigers came charging in from every point of ANZ Stadium and while there wasn’t a single punch thrown their message was more than clear.

It was the turning point of the night and perhaps the moment that could end up turning this club around.

Because from that moment it was like the Tigers lifted to another level.

And it could also end up backfiring on Souths because it just seems as though the Burgess boys have become a major motivation for every opposition pack they run into.

That’s what the Manly blokes were saying after last week’s game in Gosford and on Friday night the animosity against the Englishmen only intensified.

You’ll remember last year towards the back end of the season Sam was under fire for some of the questionable tactics that were coming into his game - and the early indications so far this year is that Sam’s discipline is still a concern.

It sure backfired on him on Friday night.

As for the Tigers, like Robbie Farah said after the game, they are sick of being treated with no respect and a win like that over Souths has the potential to kick-start the post-Benji era.

Because while you just know Souths will bounce back from the defeat, the Tigers have showed two weeks in a row now that they have the ticker to match their growing talent.

greatodensraven
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 12:59 am

Really proud of the way our boys stood together tonight. Every one of them should be congratulated.

Now rest up & prepare to smash the kiwis next week!

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 1:01 am

Great article, agree 100%
Big Sam is a dog
He shouldnt be a NRL pinup boy.
Our attitude tonight reminded me and surpassed our intent in the first melbourne game last year where the bash brothers took the field with mohawks and stuck it up the storm pack

Winnipeg
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Winnipeg » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 1:05 am

yep

I would have written a further article entitled 'the burgess brothers are low dogs and this is the last article you will ever read about them in NRL history'

and yet it's Simona on report for a non-existent hit on Gringlis... I mean I know he had contact somewhere, but was it really a penalty against us?

Peaches

Unread post by Peaches » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 1:06 am

A very well written article which I agree with completely.

turnstyle
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by turnstyle » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 1:20 am

yeh, jumping on to foxsports after the game i was a bit disappointed that the first article i saw was titled "inglis knocked out in tigers ambush" and then the souths presser :
- poor completion rate by souths
- messy game with high shots.. only has a place back in the 70s
- souths made 100 more tackles...

all these excuses!
and im thinking "how about giving credit where its due?!"
- you made 100 more tackles because thats what happens when you are outplayed!
- it was a war of attrition but to me it was mostly good tough rugby league. very few of the high shots were Lussickesque! (thats a word now...)
- there was nothing wrong with simonas hit on inglis whatsoever: thats just an unfortunate part of league, and one of the reasons fullback is a difficult position to play. if he had taken it cleanly nothing would have happened.

...so it was nice to read this article that i think did give those deserving of it credit.

TJL
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by TJL » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 1:21 am

'Big' Sam would be missing a few teeth by now back in the old days with his 'squirrel grip' and tonight he showed he better F/O to Union now. That way he can kick blokes in the head in a maul and get away with it.

monkey

Unread post by monkey » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 5:44 am

Jason king gave it to the weak dawgs last week and they turned to poop same thing this week . Hopefully our boys go hunting like that every week makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and can't wait til next week . Compliments to potter for his bench rotation with the bash brothers coming on and destroying teams with busting runs and mongrel in defence

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 8:50 am

I never thought I would see a Tigers pack smash the Burgess boys but they ripped them a new one.

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by 2041 » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 9:53 am

Sam Burgess is a classic school yard bully. Just as well he's on his way coz people are starting to find him out.

brk53y

Unread post by brk53y » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 10:11 am

I stopped thinking Sam was tough after their game against manly last year. Matai ironed his brother out, Sammy came in and gave him a shove in the back then did a backpedal that Ben creagh would be proud of.

alex

Unread post by alex » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 10:20 am

The biggest punishment for Burgess now is that he has to go play the boring game of Rugby Union. Farewell you grub

Love the WestsTigers
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by Love the WestsTigers » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 10:23 am

Its good to protect family and anyone would do it but FFS not when playing a professional contact sport like NRL ..
Sam needs to use his brain at times too..

I was loving it how Woodsy was trash talking ...
Trash talk from a baby face front rower .. Get that into you !!!

tiga4eva
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by tiga4eva » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 10:27 am

stryker wrote:Great article, agree 100%
Big Sam is a dog
He shouldnt be a NRL pinup boy.
Our attitude tonight reminded me and surpassed our intent in the first melbourne game last year where the bash brothers took the field with mohawks and stuck it up the storm pack
In one of the melees Sam reaches over and rakes Woods in the eyes. Woodsy laughed at him. He's a grub

Black'n'White
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Black'n'White » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 10:35 am

Yep I think the whole game is onto them... go out there and hammer George, Sam will lose his ship, its like a 2 for one deal, you are under both their skins and a couple of choice words keeps you there.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 231 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by formerguest » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 10:49 am

brk53y wrote: then did a backpedal that Ben creagh would be proud of.

Love it.

Mafyou

Unread post by Mafyou » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 10:51 am

Great to see the Burgess boys cop some. They are grubby players, especially Sam. Woods was outstanding and it seems he is enjoying having Galloway back, and a bench that rips in and doesn't let the starting five down. I love the comerarderie (sp?) and agro the team showed when Souths tried bully them. :sign:
Full respect from me! Great game.
Go the Tigers!!!

alexaki

Unread post by alexaki » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 11:46 am

Gary Bakerloo wrote:The was movement in my pants when seeing all those black jerseys come running in from all parts of the field........
Did u s*** yourself?

Return to “Round 3: Wests Tigers vs South Sydney Rabbitohs”