Do we change a winning formula?

jirskyr

Do we change a winning formula?

Post by jirskyr » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 12:24 pm

I was shaking my head at Anasta in the first 30 last night, some shoddy options. He seemed to iron out his second half and didn't do much wrong.

I am wondering, however, how far we can get with players "not doing much wrong". We need attacking threats across the park, and I don't think Anasta is quite there, he still takes more poor options than good ones.

I know we need calm heads on the park, I wonder though how long Blake Austin sits in NSW Cup this year. Anasta defends ok but he is not going to make a line break. Austin's defence is a bit suss for me, but he is far more threatening with the ball.

So the question is, do you change what is currently a winning formula? I am guessing the coach will not.

Keith Lulia on the other hand - the quicker he is out, the better. He is adequate backup and I can tolerate him more if he doesn't try to pass, but Simona and Lawrence are first-choice, if we can ever have them both fit at the same time.

Milky

Post by Milky » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 12:29 pm

Mate we have scored over 24 points in every game this season..

Fraze23

Post by Fraze23 » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 12:37 pm

Keith Lulia is a concern for me. We were lucky last night they didn't score more points down his side, he had a few poor reads and rushed in only to miss a tackle. Having said that Lawrence hasn't shown much better. His defensive techniques are better than his reads, so I'd prefer a Lawrence/Simona combination.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 1:17 pm

Thread needs more wrist slitting.

Should have flogged them by more. Sack Potter and Mayer. Waaaaaaaaaaa.

Where are all the critics now?
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

willow

Post by willow » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 2:00 pm

I'd consider resting Fulton since he copped another concussion from the look of it, and it's not worth risking him as we have depth in the backrow at the moment. Hopefully Simona recovers well also, but I think Lawrence may potentially be back next week too.

Tigersman

Post by Tigersman » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 2:17 pm

If Simona is still feeling the affects of being knocked out then Lawrence can take his spot.
Tigersman since 2013!

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 5:17 pm

I would have Lawrence over Lulia.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 7:03 pm

But for injuries or suspension, keep the same team.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

Snake

Post by Snake » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 7:14 pm

willow wrote:I'd consider resting Fulton since he copped another concussion from the look of it, and it's not worth risking him as we have depth in the backrow at the moment. Hopefully Simona recovers well also, but I think Lawrence may potentially be back next week too.
Good call Willow defiantly rest Fulton it's a long season ...concussion although you can deal with it will take the edge away over a period of time ,Paterson is a good replacement.

Tiger In The Gong

Post by Tiger In The Gong » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 7:24 pm

jirskyr wrote:I was shaking my head at Anasta in the first 30 last night, some shoddy options. He seemed to iron out his second half and didn't do much wrong.

I am wondering, however, how far we can get with players "not doing much wrong". We need attacking threats across the park, and I don't think Anasta is quite there, he still takes more poor options than good ones.

I know we need calm heads on the park, I wonder though how long Blake Austin sits in NSW Cup this year. Anasta defends ok but he is not going to make a line break. Austin's defence is a bit suss for me, but he is far more threatening with the ball.

So the question is, do you change what is currently a winning formula? I am guessing the coach will not.

Keith Lulia on the other hand - the quicker he is out, the better. He is adequate backup and I can tolerate him more if he doesn't try to pass, but Simona and Lawrence are first-choice, if we can ever have them both fit at the same time.
Ive kind of been thinking the same, but by no means am i calling for Anasta to be dropped. He is going ok but yeah Moses and Austin are pushing.

I think its going to come down to horses for courses, i can see Austin getting a crack very soon as a bench replacement. Ava would be the one to be rotated.

Can also see Anasta pushed to lock at some stage.

End of the day we have ridiculous depth.

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Sun 23 Mar, 2014 1:20 am

Flippedy wrote:But for injuries or suspension, keep the same team.
Exactly no changes....why change a winning team.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 23 Mar, 2014 1:38 am

Anasta was good so why would you drop him. This week their will be a injury or two and probably a suspension. So their will be changes, all fringe first graders will get a chance over the next few weeks. You need depth and plenty of it

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 23 Mar, 2014 2:12 am

Lawrence according to himself will be back this week

Reckon Gavet might get a week or two also

With Willow about Fulton as well , we might want to rest Fulton for a week or possibly 2 , concerns with getting another concussion so quickly after the first

Fortunately we have some depth , we should be OK

Warriors have a horrible record away from Mt Smart when they play in NZ , could we make it three in a row ??

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 23 Mar, 2014 2:32 am

Muscling up after the souths game for another physical encounter will not be easy. This is a must win game as we have some real hard games after NZ

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Sun 23 Mar, 2014 5:34 am

i can see your point j but the issue i have with austin is his defense.
now i will admit i have only seen a small sample of him,but his defense looked atrocious.

if he can bring a defensive game to the table i wouldn't mind,but covering him and brooks is a risk i wouldn't take right now if ever.

Post by Guest » Sun 23 Mar, 2014 7:44 am

Irvine wrote:
Flippedy wrote:But for injuries or suspension, keep the same team.
Exactly no changes....why change a winning team.
sort of agree... It really depends on what the coach wants this week against the Warriors.

We clearly adopted a different game plan against Souths than we did against the Titans, so if the team which played Friday can execute the next game plan, keep them.

TW

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

tw33k

Post by tw33k » Sun 23 Mar, 2014 9:27 am

The Warriors have a big pack. If we bash them like we did Souths, I reckon we could force a lot of errors and come away with a big win

H-Tozza

Post by H-Tozza » Sun 23 Mar, 2014 12:52 pm

I for one would still like to see Austin starting at 6 ahead of Anasta irrespective of whether we're winning or losing....seems to be carving up NSW cup while Anasta has been pretty innocuous so far this season and offers precious little in attack....I can't see Potter making any changes though as long as we keep winning and if start losing I somehow don't see Braith in the firing line....