Warriors v Wests Tigers preview

willow

Post by willow » Thu 27 Mar, 2014 7:48 pm

26/03/14
Two teams coming off unexpected wins last week, with a history split right down the middle. Which will prevail in Wellington this Saturday?

Warriors v Wests Tigers
Westpac Stadium
Saturday 3pm (AEDT)

Both of these teams shocked the competition last week with unexpected victories, the Tigers making it look easy for the most part against the Rabbitohs and the Warriors having to fight for every second of their win over the Cowboys.

The sides are perfectly matched over their 14-year history, with 11 wins apiece.

But the Tigers head to Wellington’s Westpac Stadium on Saturday night with more momentum on their side: in their past two matches they have scored 67 points and conceded only 28, using outright speed as their weapon of choice.

For the Warriors, despite the ugly nature of their last-up win, it was the type of backs-to-the-wall performance which they desperately needed.

After being called out by coach Matt Elliott for their lack of will in Round 2, the New Zealand club showed plenty at 1300SMILES Stadium, repeatedly repelling the Cowboys from close range.

The only change for the Tigers is a forced one – Cory Paterson coming in for Liam Fulton who is missing after suffering a second concussion for 2014.

Former Junior Warrior James Gavet can think himself lucky to be coming up against his old mates this weekend though, escaping suspension following his ugly kneeing of George Burgess while trying to effect a tackle.

The big news for the Warriors is the return of Kiwi international Thomas Leuluai from a long injury lay-off. Chad Townsend keeps his spot at five-eighth however, with Leuluai named on the bench.

Sione Lousi comes in to start at lock, with Feleti Mateo out due to a knee injury. Konrad Hurrell is named on the bench for the second week in a row.

Watch Out Warriors: Veteran winger Pat Richards is back in the NRL and boy is he making his presence felt! Richards has been fantastic in general play, clocking up five line breaks and crossing for four tries in the opening three matches, as well as having two denied by the video ref last week.

Also, his ability to make every kick-off a towering 50/50 contest provides his side with a good chance of obtaining extra possession.

The Warriors have an awful record at venues in New Zealand away from their traditional home at Mt Smart Stadium. They have played 16 games for only two wins and a draw, a winning percentage of just 12.5 per cent. They need to run out and imagine they are several hundred kilometres north.

Watch Out Tigers: Last week the Warriors' big boys seemed to find their mojo, with Sam Rapira, Simon Mannering and Jacob Lillyman all running for more than 100 metres. The Tigers' forward pack will need to meet that physicality head-on, something they didn’t have any issue with against the Rabbitohs.

Konrad Hurrell is back, and he looks angry. After spending the first two weeks of the season in the Warriors' NSW Cup side, due to a waistline which grew a little too much for Elliott’s liking over the off-season, Hurrell made a try-scoring comeback against the Cowboys. Just another huge human the Tigers have to worry about on Saturday night.

Plays To Watch: Luke Brooks to James Tedesco, and vice versa, is a combination that will strike and score on you before you even know what has happened. The two youngsters are in fine form, and despite playing just a handful of games together, are linking like seasoned pros.

Meanwhile hooker Nathan Friend’s flat ball close to the line proved popular for the Warriors last week. Given the size of the home team's pack, a good ball close to the line will end in a try more often than not.

Where It Will be Won: Explosive backs are in no shortage when these two teams are around, and it is likely the game will centre on their involvement. Both sides rely on their big backlines to make metres for them early in tackle counts.

With swirling wind never far away in Wellington, the high ball will be a popular play too. Whoever can best defend this and take advantage of their opportunities on attack will likely take home the two competition points.

The History: Played 22; Warriors 11, Tigers 11. The ledger is perfectly balanced, with the Warriors having the last laugh in 2013 with a 24-14 victory. The New Zealanders continue to hold the biggest bragging rights, having knocked the Tigers out of the 2011 finals series with a last minute 22-20 win.

What Are The Odds: This looms as the biggest upset of the round according to Sportsbet.com.au, with 95 per cent of money coming for the Tigers, who have firmed from $2.80 to $2.60. There has been no interest at all in the Warriors who have drifted from $1.30 to $1.45.

The Way We See It: The Warriors showed guts last week, travelling to North Queensland and coming away with the points, producing plenty of goal-line stands which any club in the competition would be proud of. Confidence is everything to this team, and they will have gained plenty of it from that performance.

You can’t ignore the form of the Tigers, convincing against a poor Titans team two weeks ago and impressive against former competition favourites the Rabbitohs last Friday.

But maybe, just maybe, the Warriors turned a corner last week. It will be close, with plenty of points scored and the Warriors winning by four.

*Statistics: Champion Data.

Eye Of Da Tiger

Post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Thu 27 Mar, 2014 7:57 pm

Under dogs I love it.

tiger85

Post by tiger85 » Thu 27 Mar, 2014 8:07 pm

hope we stay under the radar all year as we become the giant slayers!!... fingers crossed any way its early days.
Balmain Born Wests Sworn!!!!!

willow

Post by willow » Thu 27 Mar, 2014 8:08 pm

NRL Round 4 Preview: New Zealand Warriors v Wests Tigers
By Sam Alexander Updated 5 hours ago
The New Zealand Warriors host the Wests Tigers on Saturday, March 29 in Round 4 of the NRL. The match kicks off at 4.30pm (AEDT).

What: NRL Round 4
Who: New Zealand Warriors v Wests Tigers
When: Saturday 29th of March - 3:00pm
Where: Westpac Stadium
I Can Watch It On: Fox Sports
Form guide:
Warriors: LLW
Tigers: LWW

Things You Need To Know:
Coming off a spectacular away win, the Warriors will be bubbling with confidence coming in to this match. The combination of Shaun Johnson and new partner Chad Townsend proved pivotal in their win last week. Thomas Leuluai comes on to the bench in place of Feleti Mateo, while damaging forward Sione Lousi moves into the starting line-up for the Warriors. Cory Paterson makes his turn to the NRL in place of the injured Liam Fulton. Tim Simona won't play but Chris Lawrence is back.

Reason To Watch:
Young dynamic playmaker Luke Brooks, and his partnership with fellow excitement machine James Tedesco will be one to keep an eye on in this contest. Brooks will be looking to show why he is one of the brightest prospects in the game, up against Shaun Johnson and Chad Townsend.

Reason To Turn Away:
Highly dependent on the weather, fixtures in New Zealand can be hopelessly sloppy, and with the two sides having attack as their strength this match could be one continuing arm-wrestle over possession. Keep an eye on the forecast and find out if this one will live up to its expectation of being one of the great attacking showpieces.

Say What:
"It is like watching Langer and Walters together and some of the great combinations, they are on the same wavelength, they know what each other is going to do." Andrew Johns on the promising combination of Brooks and Tedesco, going on to say "I just hope they play their whole career out together."

Final Word:
With two extremely attacking line-ups going head to head, points on the board are almost a certainty. The Warriors at home are notorious for being difficult to beat, but they have proved to be very hot and cold this season, losing their first two matches by considerable margins and winning the one most expected them to lose. The Tigers showed last week they are no pushover, beating the Rabbitohs in a tough contest. This is an extremely tough match to pick, however the Warriors at home are hard to overlook. Warriors by 6.

Sportingbet Odds:
Warriors $1.50
Tigers $2.60

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 27 Mar, 2014 8:16 pm

If we apply the same pressure we did v Souths we can win this

I actually think we have the advantage in the forwards and if we win the forward battle we can shut Johnson down

Give him no room to play with and hopefully Blair ,Sue and Patterson put Johnson on his butt at every given opportunity

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Thu 27 Mar, 2014 8:20 pm

thanks very much willow!!
Last edited by turnstyle on Thu 27 Mar, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 27 Mar, 2014 8:25 pm

I can't believe Warriors are favourites for this. Not that I think we are shoo-ins, far from it, but I was all over the $2.70 for Tigers once they offered it.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Thu 27 Mar, 2014 8:26 pm

Lol the bookies odds on us here are ridiculous and whoever is in charge of setting the lines at all the corps need to have a serious job evaluation and probably will get one when we put 40 past the Warriors with little effort.

Black Orange White

Post by Black Orange White » Thu 27 Mar, 2014 8:27 pm

$2.70?? Geez that's great odds, even if you think Tigers are fools gold.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 27 Mar, 2014 8:28 pm

MacDougall wrote:Lol the bookies odds on us here are ridiculous and whoever is in charge of setting the lines at all the corps need to have a serious job evaluation and probably will get one when we put 40 past the Warriors with little effort.
Maybe they have some further info on Farah that others don't

That would explain the odds Mac

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Thu 27 Mar, 2014 8:42 pm

Maybe so, but how would a bookie have more information than a journalist? The only media reports I've seen say Farah is going to play.

I'd say it's more likely they've just cross referenced the premiership odds, looked at the fact that it's in NZ and written it out without actually thinking about it. The odds makers increasingly use computers to calculate correct odds these days. There's no two ways about it the odds on us in this game are incredible.

2 wins on the trot including over a gun Souths side.
Good record against the Warriors.
Warriors looking pretty shabby so far.
Warriors suck in NZ outside of Auckland.
The Balmain saga seems to have worn out it's newsworthiness and the latest reports say Tedesco is re-signing.

willow

Post by willow » Fri 28 Mar, 2014 6:48 am

I think the Warriors should be favorites for this game. I feel nervous for this weekend, not sure if that is a good thing or not.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 28 Mar, 2014 7:34 am

willow wrote:I think the Warriors should be favorites for this game. I feel nervous for this weekend, not sure if that is a good thing or not.
Willow , we are Wests Tigers supporters

We should be nervous every weekend :lol:

coolcat

Post by coolcat » Fri 28 Mar, 2014 10:40 am

happy tiger wrote:
willow wrote:I think the Warriors should be favorites for this game. I feel nervous for this weekend, not sure if that is a good thing or not.
Willow , we are Wests Tigers supporters

We should be nervous every weekend :lol:
Total agree

What is a west tigers fan best known saying. "2005, 2005, flick pass, and there is always next year"

Sorry I could be paraphrasing

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

stryker

Post by stryker » Fri 28 Mar, 2014 11:32 am

Last week could well have taken a lot out of us. Thats the most physical we have been in years.
Warriors had an ugly yet satisfying win last week against a side that has been playing well.
They havent had to travel.
I think we'll win but it wont be easy and we may well do it from behind.
Underdog tag is correct for us this week for mine.

tiger sean

Post by tiger sean » Fri 28 Mar, 2014 1:26 pm

stryker wrote:Last week could well have taken a lot out of us. Thats the most physical we have been in years.
Warriors had an ugly yet satisfying win last week against a side that has been playing well.
They havent had to travel.
I think we'll win but it wont be easy and we may well do it from behind.
Underdog tag is correct for us this week for mine.
I think you'll find Warriors had to travel to and from North QLD last weekend.

2.70 are great odds. I am still nervous for this week though. We still have a lot to prove in terms of consistency. Should be an exciting game though!

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Fri 28 Mar, 2014 1:35 pm

I'm not arguing that we shouldn't be underdogs but not by that much.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 28 Mar, 2014 1:41 pm

If Farah plays and seeing we had a extra recovery day I'd say we are a $2.40 chance