Tamou says showdown with Woods is ticket to test selection

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 85 times

Tamou says showdown with Woods is ticket to test selection

Unread post by willow » Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:54 am

Cowboy James Tamou says his showdown with Wests Aaron Woods is a ticket to Test selection

8 hours ago April 11, 2014 10:00PM

NORTH Queensland battering ram James Tamou has identified tonight’s showdown with Aaron Woods as his ticket to Test selection.

While the big forward’s mind is firmly on helping the Cowboys to victory over the Wests Tigers at Campbelltown Stadium, next month’s Anzac clash is never far form his thoughts.

Despite being a key cog in Australia’s World Cup win in England late last year, Tamou anything but considers himself a certain selection in Tim Sheens’ star-studded Kangaroos.

So that’s where Woods come in.

After a blistering start to the season, Tamou has rated Woods as one of the NRL’s elite props.

“The Anzac Test is coming up and Woodsie is definitely up there as one of the best front rowers at the moment, so I’m really looking forward to this battle against him,” he said.

“This can show selectors what I’m still capable of.

“If you had asked me (this time) last year I probably would have told you I’m not thinking about the Australia game ... but I can’t hide it, it’s always good to make the Australian side.”

The Tigers are ranked as the NRL’s No.1 attacking team after five rounds, with halfback Luke Brooks and fullback James Tedesco earning praise as the team has scored 28 points a game.

But Tamou is adamant Woods is the real attacking cornerstone mastermind.

Averaging 141m and 26 tackles, 194cm, 114kg Woods and his fearless forward pack have provided a hard-hitting platform as the Tigers have a launched a giant-killing start to 2014.

Tamou, who is hardly a slouch in his production this season, averaging 123m and 23 tackles, believes was also confident Woods is out would be out to prove his own a point against North Queensland’s all-Test front row as he pushes for New South Wales Origin selection.

“He’s playing really well and that’s what I think is behind the Tigers’ success,” he said.

“It will be a big test for me to find out where I can put myself among the league’s best front rowers, because I think it would be fair to say Woodsie is up there with the best at the moment.

“I’m definitely doing as much home work as I can.”

Interestingly, While Wests have scored the NRL’s most points, the Cowboys are one of the league’s most stingy defensive units, giving up 14.6 a game to be ranked second.

After showing signs of their attack clicking in Monday’s win over Newcastle, North Queensland hooker Ray Thompson hoped they could provide a perfect combination of both tonight.

“With our structures I definitely think we can score a few more points,” he said.

“But if you see the teams that have won the comp over the past few years, they have been very strong defensively and that what’s we want to be as a team.”

aajlewis

Unread post by aajlewis » Sat 12 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

It's going to be a great battle in the engine room. Can't wait to see it

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

aajlewis

Unread post by aajlewis » Sat 12 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

It's going to be a great battle in the engine room. Can't wait to see it

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

jirskyr
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 133 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 10:45 pm