Lawrence

H-Tozza

Re: Lawrence

Post by H-Tozza » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 11:08 am

One of his biggest critics here but thought he was exceptional on Satdiy and likewise the previous week against the Eagles...Really starting to hit the line with a bit of vigour and playing more fearlessly than I think we've seen him at any time in past 2-3 years.....Would be even better if he could develop that fend of his again that made him so dangerous a few years back...

Glad that Potter could see in him what we couldn't and persisted with him....if this forum had its way he'd be playing reggies never to don the FG jersey again lol

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 11:14 am

Lawrence hasn't really proven anything. Yes he's played better in recent weeks, but its not too hard to improve from appalling to ok.

He played like a back rower on the weekend. Making hit ups and thats all. No creativity, no speed. Just hitups. And he still goes for the intercept too often (and misses most of the time).

As mentioned we already have a number of decent backrowers.

Hopefully he regains his speed and confidence and is able to play as a centre, or he gets his fitness back to the extent that clubs in england can take him off our hands. If he could return to the world class centre then that would obviously be the best result for all concerned, but it still seems somewhat unlikely. But at least he's moving in the right direction.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 11:24 am

Peaches wrote:
jirskyr wrote:Tate was Cowboy's best last night, is a class player, and Rowdy did a good job on him.

The other thing I noted was that Simona, despite his fancy footwork, got run down twice last night. He's back from injury, surely short of a gallop, but last year he blitzed chasers on more than one occasion.

It doesn't take much to appear significantly slower than previous versions of yourself, I think Rowdy has the class to adapt his play as his body continues to evolve / change.
He got chased down by Fieldt on the 20-tap restart, but he's a whippet himself. I don't remember him being chased down any other time. There was a kickchase where he made a break but cover defense got him. I think he's still got plenty of pace in him. He's lacking some match fitness too.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4
Feldt? He didn't even play, the wingers were Wright and Winterstein.

From the tap restart at 48 mins he gets run down by Winterstein and Morgan. The replay isn't up yet to check who caught him on the other.

The point I am making is players can easily be a yard or two slower in pace and not be a burden to the team. Look at Brett Stewart or Billy Slater, if they are as fast as they used to be.

I honestly feel that lots of the negativity towards Lawrence is because he used to be a lightning-fast powerhouse runner, blitzing through holes and running around fullbacks. For whatever reason - hip injury, hamstring trouble, wear and tear - he doesn't have those same attributes anymore and people want to scrapheap him. I don't feel it's warranted and when he gets a few games under his belt he performs well.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 11:42 am

Simona never really got set or balanced after the tap motion. He weaved a bit as well and eventually ran almost directly in line with a guy running in a straight line.

Simona hasn't lost much if anything though the reduced preseason hurts his top end at this stage

tigeru

Post by tigeru » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 12:27 pm

smeghead wrote:Simona never really got set or balanced after the tap motion. He weaved a bit as well and eventually ran almost directly in line with a guy running in a straight line.

Simona hasn't lost much if anything though the reduced preseason hurts his top end at this stage
X2 ran on an angle while winterstein ran straight, Simona has got incredible acceleration though that's what makes him dangerous

tigeru

Post by tigeru » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 12:27 pm

smeghead wrote:Simona never really got set or balanced after the tap motion. He weaved a bit as well and eventually ran almost directly in line with a guy running in a straight line.

X2 ran on an angle while winterstein ran straight, Simona has got incredible acceleration though that's what makes him dangerous

The Tooth

Post by The Tooth » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 12:30 pm

Credit where its due. He has improved.

Still bothers me how one dimensional he is (straight line runner). Just offers nothing more in attack. Gets chopped down straight away when he hits the defence, no fend, no step, no offload, slow play the ball,etc... Really only relies on the halves drawing the opposition in before feeding him a ball in space. Does not much else but run the right line.

Another thing, he never pops up out of position looking for extra work like most good centres.

On triple M Sunday they have a 'Guess how much he's on' segment. Most of the boys said around 275-325. The real figure is closer to 600 thousand supposedly. Not sure how precise this is, but for what the Tiges get out of Chrissy is nowhere near the reported 600.