The complacency factor

GNR4LIFE

The complacency factor

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 3:43 am

This is something that is a worry this week. I think this week is the first game this yr where as a whole we probably expect the team to win, and if results so far this yr throughout the competition are any guide, thats a dangerous position to be in.

We're coming off 3 good wins, the last of which was arguably our most gutsiest ever. We're back at LO in front of a big home crowd that will be 100% us, against a team some might call pretenders. Just worry there could be a mentality of things will just happen. It happens to all teams, whenever things seem in your favour, there can be a lapse. Parra probably suffered from it a little bit against us knowing we had no Farah, Tedesco and Fulton.

How will the young kids go backing up from the emotion of such a massive win in front of the biggest crowd most, if not all of them have ever played in front of. Will coming down affect them? These are all factors.

To sum it up, if we're serious top 8 contenders (which we are) these are the games we need to show maturity and professionalism and put in the bank.

Gray

Post by Gray » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 6:34 am

And something that we've been prone to do in previous years.

Let's hope the boys want to prove themselves again, and the spirit of the ground lifts them even further!

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

willow

Post by willow » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 6:53 am

I am not sure it will be a factor this week. We are missing a few players still and our point scoring ability is not where it should be. The team seems a lot more grounded this year too so I think we will see an improvement over the Eels win. Everyone is working hard for one another across the field which is probably the most pleasing thing.

TimmyB

Post by TimmyB » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 5:40 pm

This doesn't look like the sort of team that will get complacent in my opinion.

It's a team that is winning matches based on enthusiasm. They aren't going out to do the job. They are going out because they want to be there, and they want to win.

In front of a likely sold out Leichhardt oval I have full faith the attitude will be there. Then it's just a matter of whether we play well enough on the day. If we don't it won't be due to complacency.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 5:44 pm

This is danger game imo

TimmyB

Post by TimmyB » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 5:47 pm

Not to mention young teams do not get complacent. If you take out Anasta and Richards who are outliers, the average age of our team is 23.5. Take out Fulton and Galloway and the average age is 22.5.

In my opinion teams that young don't get complacent. A lot of these guys haven't even played 30 games of first grade yet. It's still a big occasion for them. They're not going to show up thinking an NRL team will just roll over for them.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 5:55 pm

TimmyB wrote:Not to mention young teams do not get complacent. If you take out Anasta and Richards who are outliers, the average age of our team is 23.5. Take out Fulton and Galloway and the average age is 22.5.

In my opinion teams that young don't get complacent. A lot of these guys haven't even played 30 games of first grade yet. It's still a big occasion for them. They're not going to show up thinking an NRL team will just roll over for them.
So you're saying a group of young adults are less complacent than veterans who have been through the highs and lows too many times to remember?

Somehow doubt it. But this group still seems very grounded especially after last year
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 5:57 pm

It wont have been too hard to drag the team back to ground after a game like that... they were lucky, very lucky to get the win there, and will have had it drilled into them that there is massive room for improvement.

I dont think this week is a worry as far as complacency, you would have to be stir crazy to think you could rest on the laurels of that game.

Justo

Post by Justo » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 6:20 pm

TimmyB wrote:Not to mention young teams do not get complacent. If you take out Anasta and Richards who are outliers, the average age of our team is 23.5. Take out Fulton and Galloway and the average age is 22.5.

We are talking about GenY right? Trust me. They know complacency. (sorry, im just old timer who can't help himself)

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 6:38 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:This is something that is a worry this week. I think this week is the first game this yr where as a whole we probably expect the team to win,
Expect to win ? We are playing the team who are leading the comp, we thrashed them last time at their home ground so they will be out to make amends, we are missing our 2 best players and last week we only just fell over the line thanks to 2 long range intercepts and some horrible goal kicking from the opposition against last years wooden spooners. It is the 2nd game without our captain always more dangerous then the first as teams pull together after a big injury loss.

If anything this week we would be expected to loose and only that its at Leichardt would people give us a chance.

TimmyB

Post by TimmyB » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 6:38 pm

pHyR3 wrote:

So you're saying a group of young adults are less complacent than veterans who have been through the highs and lows too many times to remember?

Somehow doubt it. But this group still seems very grounded especially after last year
I stand by it.

I don't think they're going to turn up flat or not wanting to play. There is too much enthusiasm and hunger in this team. I can't see Brooks, Nofoaluma, Simona, Tapau, Seumanafagi, or Akaoula not turning up to play. Perhaps I would worried about them being a little overzealous, but not about putting in maximum effort. I certainly don't expect them to turn up expecting to win.

Time will tell, but I think all this talk of complacency is a bit silly when the team is playing in front of a Leichhardt crowd against a top 4 team and having only won 5 games this year.

Perhaps if we were playing a mid table team later in the year and were in this position on the table there might be a point.

I guess time will tell.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 6:54 pm

Agree Timmy B

When you are younger , you do become complacent

You haven't learnt from the mistakes by this stage

As they say , if you are off by 1% in the NRL chances are you will get beaten

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 9:29 pm

Boonboon2 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:This is something that is a worry this week. I think this week is the first game this yr where as a whole we probably expect the team to win,
Expect to win ? We are playing the team who are leading the comp, we thrashed them last time at their home ground so they will be out to make amends, we are missing our 2 best players and last week we only just fell over the line thanks to 2 long range intercepts and some horrible goal kicking from the opposition against last years wooden spooners. It is the 2nd game without our captain always more dangerous then the first as teams pull together after a big injury loss.

If anything this week we would be expected to loose and only that its at Leichardt would people give us a chance.
Umm am I missing something, I thought the Bulldogs were leading the comp? In any case, I agree with your post - we were extremely lucky to win on Monday. We certainly had the rub of the green, but this is a whole new ball game. Up against a fully fit Titans team, with our ever increasing injury toll, I cannot see why we should be favoured to win.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 12:29 am

We looked tired against Parra.. Got a feeling we may not turn up this weekend ... Hope I'm wrong of course

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 12:44 am

This bunch of blokes won't be complacent.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 6:22 am

I agree with Happy, this is a danger game. It's also a coaches game. The coaching staff will have to ensure the drive is there from start to finish. I reckon we have to go into it as a must win because the Titans will come ready to play. Never mind what ground it's on. A fully fit Titans side against a capable but injured Tigers side? I'm sure we can win it but I think it will be a tough one.
"Quality Stupidity"

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 8:25 am

given the injuries and the fact we're up against a side that has been playing pretty well since we beat them..........I'm not expecting a win and I doubt the players will be as well, it's a completely different Wests Tigers outfit than what we've seen.

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 8:34 am

We are playing a very aggressive and confrontational brand of football. It is hard to play in this manner week in week out this early in the season for extended periods. Similar to the Warriors game, we are probably due a dip plus the injuries have to start to cost us sooner or later. So long as they provide a competitive performance and they don't drop their heads on Sunday, I'll be impressed.

With reference to injuries, we are sitting on what I believe to be a huge challenge for the club. To have so many players out and still maintain performance levels provides the best indication yet we have the largest levels of depth since 2005. It won't go unnoticed by other clubs.