Why did we lose to the Titans

pHyR3

Why did we lose to the Titans

Unread post by pHyR3 » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 11:28 pm

Just noticed something quite interesting which sheds a lot of light on why we played the way we did on sunday. If you ask anyone what the biggest problem was besides obviously missing teddy/farah, it was that we turned up and were completely outenthused. We lacked interest.

Funnily enough, the same things (along with errors) plagued the eels.

I think that momentous clash really took it out of both teams and this week off will put us in good stead for the next 3 weeks. if we can jag 1 win against the sharks (and not lose badly in the others) we should be in touch with the 8 and with farah, sue, siro, teddy returning either right after the bye or soon after, we can make a push to put a dent in some teams in the finals, maybe even get to the semis if we have a full complement.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

MacDougall
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by MacDougall » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 11:41 pm

Yeah decent insight. It really was an energy draining contest by the looks.

Personally though I think it's because Milky didn't believe enough.

Tigerpete

Unread post by Tigerpete » Wed 30 Apr, 2014 1:19 am

Yeah it's fair point that. No doubts the previous monday was a mentally exhausting affair. I didn't think we were great against the Eels but we took our chances when they came and ground out a win. Against the Titans we didn't take our chances anywhere near as well. Could easily have had another 12-18 pts (Brooks failed regather, Simona try obstruction, Fulton failing to ground ball) if we had taken our chances.

Personally don't think we played all that much worse than the week before. Just a case of failing to take chances and to be fair the Titans played pretty well and put us under pressure from the start.

NT Tiger
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by NT Tiger » Wed 30 Apr, 2014 6:15 am

I agree with the point that the Eels game would have taken its toll. But I don't think we lacked interest. I think the Titans came with a game plan of shutting Leichhardt out of the equation by blitzing us early. They did that well.
"Quality Stupidity"

pHyR3

Unread post by pHyR3 » Wed 30 Apr, 2014 8:39 pm

NT Tiger wrote:I agree with the point that the Eels game would have taken its toll. But I don't think we lacked interest. I think the Titans came with a game plan of shutting Leichhardt out of the equation by blitzing us early. They did that well.
definitely, and we failed to match it with them. if we had turned up with the same intensity it would be been much closer.

so it's a bit of both really
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Wed 30 Apr, 2014 8:41 pm

I dont think that game took a toll at all, lots or errors and rather scrappy

happy tiger
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 72 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Wed 30 Apr, 2014 9:30 pm

We lost the ruck and got outsmarted in the forwards

Think with the wind we should of played smarter in the 1st half and kicked our way out of our half more often

Reckon that was our worst performance in 2014

Part of me thinks they showed up just expecting it would happen after what happened in Round 2

Newtown
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Newtown » Wed 30 Apr, 2014 9:55 pm

They completely ran over us in the first 10 minutes. After that it was shut the gate the horse has bolted.

happy tiger
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 72 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Wed 30 Apr, 2014 10:53 pm

Titans I believe are the first team to back up after a Monday game in 2014

laufoofan

Unread post by laufoofan » Thu 01 May, 2014 3:47 am

Yep, our big game was played with the eels.When the Titans came round, we didn't think they would be a threat and we were a bit complacent and let our guard down. They won the match in the first 10 minutes,after that our players were merely going through the motion.Rowe was lost and Luani played in a different position after the first 30 minutes. We didn't run from dummy half or had a quick played the ball, thus the Titans had time to master the defence not like our previous game with them. I thought our forward lack intensity in this game.Fulton was ineffective in the defence and their players had many off loads which was hard to defend against. We didn't lock up their second play or the tackles thus they were able to get away with murder.We couldn't break their line, thus we were unable to score tries. This is an area we may have to look into, without Farah or Tedesco.
When our forwards went missing, our backs were back peddling, making all the players had bad games. None of our players had a good game. Lawrence tried his heart out, but was unable to contain the Titans on his own. All in, a game we rather forget, however there is a lesson in the game, that is never under estimate your opponent although you beat them by 30 points previously and it would be a stroll in the park.

barra
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by barra » Thu 01 May, 2014 3:07 pm

There may have been a hang-over factor but we got dominated pure and simple. Some important aspects got turned around on us including completed sets and all run metres and kicking metres.

Error cost us completions and field position. And the Titans really rolled through us while we went back to struggling for 50m in a set.

And our attack was way down, very few offloads.

Certainly looked like the players thought the old girl was going to get them home.

spearby

Unread post by spearby » Thu 01 May, 2014 5:07 pm

we were not at our best against the eels but we hung with them and won. the titans got the jump and out played us but we don't have much in attack with out Robbie and teddy I must say how impressed I was with brooks who tried his hardest to get them going gee this kid is getting better every week

Return to “Round 8: Wests Tigers vs Gold Coast Titans”