credit where credit is due

clontarfkid
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 2 times

Re: credit where credit is due

Unread post by clontarfkid » Sat 10 May, 2014 9:52 am

Appreciate that being small isnt everything,but in the last decade particularly the NRL has grown into a big mans game ,particularly in the backs where most are now over 100kgs,& its a real disadvantage not to have size & strength at no 1 so you dont get steamrolled or outleaped.
Slater is arguably the best example against this argument,but he is an exceptional athlete & can leap higher than most(except Tupou!) & also hit hard in defence when required to stop a try..Its taking its toll though.
Barba is simply an outstanding broken field runner whose attributes in attack compenasate for his defensive deficiencies .Matt Bowen to a lesser extent,but once he was targetted he too succumbed & I think Cowboys are very happy to have Morgan at the back.

Nether Mullaney & particularly Rowe (early days i know)look like theyre gonna be a Slater or a Barba type.
What gets me about Rowe is with a FB as coach how he can drift 10 mtrs behind the ball when the opposition are moving it out wide,so he'soften never close to the tryscorer ?And what also bothers me is his nervousness under pressure with the high ball
If were going to make the 8 its Richards at the back for me(where he excelled in UK)to provide a reliable last line of defence,& cred under the high ball.

happy tiger
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Sat 10 May, 2014 9:57 am

clontarfkid wrote:Appreciate that being small isnt everything,but in the last decade particularly the NRL has grown into a big mans game ,particularly in the backs where most are now over 100kgs,& its a real disadvantage not to have size & strength at no 1 so you dont get steamrolled or outleaped.
Slater is arguably the best example against this argument,but he is an exceptional athlete & can leap higher than most(except Tupou!) & also hit hard in defence when required to stop a try..Its taking its toll though.
Barba is simply an outstanding broken field runner whose attributes in attack compenasate for his defensive deficiencies .Matt Bowen to a lesser extent,but once he was targetted he too succumbed & I think Cowboys are very happy to have Morgan at the back.

Nether Mullaney & particularly Rowe (early days i know)look like theyre gonna be a Slater or a Barba type.
What gets me about Rowe is with a FB as coach how he can drift 10 mtrs behind the ball when the opposition are moving it out wide,so he'soften never close to the tryscorer ?And what also bothers me is his nervousness under pressure with the high ball
If were going to make the 8 its Richards at the back for me(where he excelled in UK)to provide a reliable last line of defence,& cred under the high ball.
Watch the last 45 minutes of the Warriors game again before you move Patty back to fullback

He is doing a great job on the wing and Teddy will be back in a couple of weeks

Goose

Unread post by Goose » Sat 10 May, 2014 10:33 am

Rowe had a very good game and was comfortably our best.
Good on him.
Good back up for Teddy

clontarfkid
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by clontarfkid » Sat 10 May, 2014 10:44 am

I do remember that game,but many players out of position at the end,& he did win man of steel from F/B just a few yrs ago.
Gonna go out on a limb here,but team is desperate for some srike power in the backs,particularly without Simona,& im thinking Pat hasnt got the speed to capitalise on half breaks(& there wont be too many of them wioh Larence & lulia in the centres)so id play him at the back until Ted /Simoona return,& (big gulp)Koro on the wing

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 206 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 10 May, 2014 10:52 am

Goose wrote:Rowe had a very good game and was comfortably our best.
Good on him.

Good back up for Teddy
Gotta be taking the piss surely. He tried hard but he gets man handled at this level. Tupou swiped him off like a fly, he barely was able to hold out Maloney when he dropped it over the line, and idk a fullback who wouldn't have scored in the first half when he was put through that hole 10 out. He is relatively safe under the high ball though, i'll give him that.

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 86 times

Unread post by willow » Sat 10 May, 2014 11:04 am

Rowe still has a few flaws in his game but I cannot fault his effort last night and whilst he came up with some fumbles/missed tackles, he also made a couple of great tackles and looked more dangerous in attack when he backed himself and didn't surrender.

A couple of comments aimed at him in this thread have certainly been out of line.

BalmainJnr
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by BalmainJnr » Sat 10 May, 2014 11:09 am

Russell wrote:Some of you people are amazing. You know who you are.

How in the name of god do you expect a 19? year old kid with 3-4 NRL games to his credit playing the Premiers to perform like Slater, Hayne, Stewart, Ingles etc.

Wake up to yourselves and get off his back. He had a great game - probably the best we had.

Who above would have stopped the first try, Who would have stopped the runaway try from that stupid offload that went to ground. Of course he was out of position you can't anticipate that.

As for Mulaney - not worth a been and that was why he was let go.

Give Rowe a go - he is young, needs building up and needs more experience.

As for Irvine's comments - go and watch netball - you know nothing about RL.
Others like to guild the lily. Rowe played well last night when marked against his previous efforts.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

Easy Tiger.

Unread post by Easy Tiger. » Sat 10 May, 2014 11:33 am

Rowe, was very good last night....

NO 1 QLD TIGERS SUPPORTER.....

Easy Tiger.

Unread post by Easy Tiger. » Sat 10 May, 2014 11:33 am

Rowe, was very good last night....

NO 1 QLD TIGERS SUPPORTER.....

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 123 times

Unread post by 851 » Sat 10 May, 2014 11:38 am

I was one of his harshest critics,but he was very good last night,and if Teddy leaves Rowe could develop nicely when a few more troops come back.
What is his contract status?
Go hard or go home

greatodensraven
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Sat 10 May, 2014 12:03 pm

Definitely a much improved performance from Rowe and the effort was there from all the boys. Loved that chase that Brooks put on in the 2nd half to save a try, he never gives up.

Also special mention to Blair, 116m & 33 tackles. His stats were better than Woodsy's last night. It will be great if we keep this effort up when our injured troops return.

Milky
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by Milky » Sat 10 May, 2014 12:35 pm

Played bloody well, easily our best on the field. If he always plays with that confidence he will be a superstar. Big all but wow he surprised me and exceeded all expectations.

simonthetiger

Unread post by simonthetiger » Sat 10 May, 2014 1:01 pm

Def our best on field...he has been awful until last night....he kept doing amazing plays and I was like...."was that Rowe again,wtf??"

Great game from the young feller.

Milky
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by Milky » Sat 10 May, 2014 1:03 pm

simonthetiger wrote:Def our best on field...he has been awful until last night....he kept doing amazing plays and I was like...."was that Rowe again,wtf??"

Great game from the young feller.
The reason he is playing well is because he has got comfortable around the players. He is more comfortable calling shots, he lacked confidence etc. He has know got to know the boys, had a few games under his belt and called the shots, made some breaks, got involved plays etc.

Gray

Unread post by Gray » Sat 10 May, 2014 2:55 pm

Saw an obvious huge growth in confidence when he put his hand up for a hit up on a 20m tap. Thought at times in his earlier games that he was a bit scared of the contact, but certainly showed he isn't last night. On ya Kurtis.

larrycorowa

Unread post by larrycorowa » Sat 10 May, 2014 7:25 pm

Blair was really good last night and tried to lead from the front with a few senior players out. He was good in the test match too, really starting to hit his straps.

larrycorowa

Unread post by larrycorowa » Sat 10 May, 2014 7:25 pm

Blair was really good last night and tried to lead from the front with a few senior players out. He was good in the test match too, really starting to hit his straps.

Return to “Round 9: Wests Tigers vs Sydney Roosters”