Brooks' Defence

MacDougall
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Brooks' Defence

Unread post by MacDougall » Sat 10 May, 2014 1:48 pm

You're tripping. Brooks has been one of the better halfbacks in the comp in attack. What is he doing wrong exactly?

thesquid

Unread post by thesquid » Sat 10 May, 2014 1:59 pm

MacDougall wrote:You're tripping. Brooks has been one of the better halfbacks in the comp in attack. What is he doing wrong exactly?
Attacking options just aren't there except the few. Too much individuality at times and as it goes with intercepts, he gets one and scores a try but 4 others make it tougher for the team.

There is just too much of nothing going on between ones that stick. That may be because he came from the 20's straight up, may be because he is too eager or just plain inexperience which refer to first point, directionless.

To me the half back positions are too important to be experimenting, but if you do, how long do you keep it up.

MacDougall
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by MacDougall » Sat 10 May, 2014 2:26 pm

Experimenting? Potter has picked Brooks and is sticking with him for good reason. He conclusively outplayed Pearce last night in a well beaten side imo.

Gary Bakerloo
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Gary Bakerloo » Sat 10 May, 2014 5:01 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:That was his worst game to date last night. But that's okay, he's going to have weeks like that.
Be that as it may, but he provided more for Wests than Pearce provided to Sydney.

Russell
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 124 times

Unread post by Russell » Sun 11 May, 2014 8:43 am

Oh!! Oh!! Squid - there is a mammoth difference between NRL and under 20s.

You could send him back there for another 150 games and he won't learn another thing.

Brooks is the HALF - we have to be patient (tired of saying this); patient with him and the team.

He is not going to be Johns over night (obviously people have forgot what he was like in his first season) and the team is not going to win the comp this year or next - that is not the projected plan.

He has to try things (would you rather he didn't) it is a learning curve (some work, some don't).

I agree he did outplay the Traitor Pearce (that wouldn't be hard though). Won't give him any points for that.

Brooks is going to be a champion and we will win the comp - just not yet. PATIENCE PLEEEEEASE

Fraze23
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by Fraze23 » Sun 11 May, 2014 10:16 am

thesquid wrote:
MacDougall wrote:You're tripping. Brooks has been one of the better halfbacks in the comp in attack. What is he doing wrong exactly?
Attacking options just aren't there except the few. Too much individuality at times and as it goes with intercepts, he gets one and scores a try but 4 others make it tougher for the team.

There is just too much of nothing going on between ones that stick. That may be because he came from the 20's straight up, may be because he is too eager or just plain inexperience which refer to first point, directionless.

To me the half back positions are too important to be experimenting, but if you do, how long do you keep it up.
He's got no one running off him. Lawrence hasn't split the line since late 2011 and I don't think Lulia could split a wet paper bag let alone a defensive line.
He needs some viable options running off him. Without Simona and Tedesco we don't have any strike weapons out wide. If I were Potter I'd do everything I could to get Inu over. A centre pairing of Inu and SImona would be dangerous.

rossop

Unread post by rossop » Sun 11 May, 2014 10:50 am

MacDougall wrote:Experimenting? Potter has picked Brooks and is sticking with him for good reason. He conclusively outplayed Pearce last night in a well beaten side imo.
X2

I cant see the point in criticising him or the side in general. Let's see how things go when we have most of our A Team on the paddock with a few games under their belt.

thesquid

Unread post by thesquid » Sun 11 May, 2014 10:58 am

Fraze23 wrote:
thesquid wrote:

He's got no one running off him. Lawrence hasn't split the line since late 2011 and I don't think Lulia could split a wet paper bag let alone a defensive line.
He needs some viable options running off him. Without Simona and Tedesco we don't have any strike weapons out wide. If I were Potter I'd do everything I could to get Inu over. A centre pairing of Inu and SImona would be dangerous.
That's the direction im after. Getting the questions flowing as to why our attack is so inaffective when we lose one or 2 key players.

Its obvious the forwards have been winning for us so far and the attack from our halves have not improved exponentially to take over. I believe we should be much better in that department.

Potter has a little work to do.

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Sun 11 May, 2014 1:23 pm

Squid i don't know what you're on about. We had 12 players from our top 25 players missing, against last years champions! I think there were only 3 players over the age of 25 out there. One of the most inexpeirenced sides ever in the NRL perhaps.

Luani had a shocker. far moreso than Brooks. Luani only had eyes for Brooks and as such made our attack pedestrian as he almost flat out refused to pass it to Austin.

If Robbie played the scores wouldve been extremely close and i'd have tipped us to win. Roosters were awful.

cochise
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by cochise » Mon 12 May, 2014 12:06 am

thesquid wrote:

Brooks is no experiment, what are you expecting from a 19 year old halfback with the senior players in key positions missing. You do realise that he was the only player from our round 1 spine playing. We are bound to struggle when our most experience player in the key 4 positions on the field is a 19 year old with 10 games experience.

I suggest you refrain from being critical of players until you learn a little more about the game.

Fumbles

Unread post by Fumbles » Mon 12 May, 2014 12:11 am

Has missed having both Farah and Tedesco to work his magic with. Should be much improved with Farah back this week.

RMS

Unread post by RMS » Mon 12 May, 2014 11:45 am

Exactly right Fumbles. Farah

A) Provides another point of attack
B) takes some of the pressure off Brooks

I don't know what people want of 10 game, 19 year old playmaker in his first full year of top grade league but i must be a very easy marker because he is coming along very nicely. Is he a great player yet? No but he has all tools there - the rest will come with experience.

Return to “Round 9: Wests Tigers vs Sydney Roosters”