Brooks' Defence

softlaw
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Brooks' Defence

Unread post by softlaw » Fri 09 May, 2014 9:52 pm

Defence is attitude and he certainly doesn;t shirk it. As well as two really big effort cover tackles he made some tough tackles tonight and hits hard when he gets a chance.

He needs another attacking option in the team (Austin was not good tonight) but he certainly doesn;t need to be hidden in the defensive line anymore.
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Fri 09 May, 2014 9:57 pm

He looks like he can become a high quality player but he isn't there just yet.

thesquid

Unread post by thesquid » Fri 09 May, 2014 9:59 pm

For me, there just isn't anything much going on in attack options from Brooks. How long do we wait. There is no doubt his defence and attitude is all there, but there is also plenty going wrong.

I hope he gets it together soon, because we are going to need him to, the longer we get into the season.

I was confused why Austin was not more involved in the last tackle options when it became obvious there was nothing happening in the kicking options. Either he left himself out, got lazy(but he was doing plenty in defence) or the instructions were for Brooks only.
Last edited by thesquid on Fri 09 May, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MacDougall

Unread post by MacDougall » Fri 09 May, 2014 9:59 pm

He is a high quality player. His problem is that he hasn't formed combinations with anybody except Tedesco and that's probably because Tedesco is adaptable enough to get Brooks quickly.

Austin also faded in and out of the game, which has been a criticism of him his entire career. He made a couple of good runs though. He reminds me a bit of Lui tbh.

Fraze23
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by Fraze23 » Fri 09 May, 2014 10:03 pm

softlaw wrote:Defence is attitude and he certainly doesn;t shirk it. As well as two really big effort cover tackles he made some tough tackles tonight and hits hard when he gets a chance.

He needs another attacking option in the team (Austin was not good tonight) but he certainly doesn;t need to be hidden in the defensive line anymore.
I don't want to start an Anasta bashing thread. But I thought Austin asked more questions than what Braith has so far. I did feel that Luani tended to favour Brooks a bit. I don't understand why they kept stacking the short side and continually going down there when there was nothing on.

MacDougall

Unread post by MacDougall » Fri 09 May, 2014 10:06 pm

Oh I totally agree Fraze and I can explain it to you.

Like you said Luani favoured Brooks and Brooks rushes into position and doesn't compose himself. Multiple times he rushed into the near side position and called for it just because he's so confident. Austin on the other hand is a bit more scheming and tries to think but never really had a chance to deploy his schemes because Brooks plays halfback at 100 miles an hour. I don't think Austin and Brooks click at all and that explains why Anasta has been favoured the entire time.

It will work in Brooks favour long term because he will develop a game that makes him a star, there is no doubt about him. We need Moses to join him because of their lifelong combination because I feel that there is not going to be another half he plays with as well that comes along. He lets Anasta direct more because of seniority only imo.

thesquid

Unread post by thesquid » Fri 09 May, 2014 10:12 pm

MacDougall wrote:Oh I totally agree Fraze and I can explain it to you.

Like you said Luani favoured Brooks and Brooks rushes into position and doesn't compose himself. Multiple times he rushed into the near side position and called for it just because he's so confident. Austin on the other hand is a bit more scheming and tries to think but never really had a chance to deploy his schemes because Brooks plays halfback at 100 miles an hour. I don't think Austin and Brooks click at all and that explains why Anasta has been favoured the entire time.

It will work in Brooks favour long term because he will develop a game that makes him a star, there is no doubt about him. We need Moses to join him because of their lifelong combination because I feel that there is not going to be another half he plays with as well that comes along. He lets Anasta direct more because of seniority only imo.
That's a pretty grim future you paint for Brooks. He has only clicked with teddy, but that's teddy's ability to run. You make it sound that if Moses get taken up by another team, then Brooks has got nothing to offer. Maybe Brooks needs to force himself to click with his right hand man regardless of who it is or his career is going to be a short one.

spearby

Unread post by spearby » Sat 10 May, 2014 8:07 am

brooks was great tonight some of his tackles were great, this bloke will go on to be one of the games greats REMEMBER this is only his 10th game in 1st grade . also remember he had no anasta or farah to give him a hand to guide the team around and we were playing the premiers not bad for a 19 year old kid go you little champion

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sat 10 May, 2014 8:27 am

thesquid wrote:For me, there just isn't anything much going on in attack options from Brooks. How long do we wait. There is no doubt his defence and attitude is all there, but there is also plenty going wrong.

I hope he gets it together soon, because we are going to need him to, the longer we get into the season.

I was confused why Austin was not more involved in the last tackle options when it became obvious there was nothing happening in the kicking options. Either he left himself out, got lazy(but he was doing plenty in defence) or the instructions were for Brooks only.
A couple of seasons do you?
Have some patience, it wont happen overnight

jirskyr
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 133 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Sat 10 May, 2014 8:35 am

What did they say, 35 games 1-6-7-9 vs Roosters 630 games?

Hard for Brooks when he looks outside and sees, who? Paterson dropping the footy, Lulia who offers nil in attack, ordinary passes from Luani.

pHyR3

Unread post by pHyR3 » Sat 10 May, 2014 9:19 am

innsaneink wrote:
thesquid wrote:For me, there just isn't anything much going on in attack options from Brooks. How long do we wait. There is no doubt his defence and attitude is all there, but there is also plenty going wrong.

A couple of seasons do you?
Have some patience, it wont happen overnight
rewatched much of the game and brooks last play options were actually pretty good. He had some great hang time on perfectly placed bombs from 40 or 50 out that really deserved a better chase. Lawrence and Richards put no pressure on the Chooks back 3, they should have been trying to tap it back every time.

but better ball control and a bit better control of the ruck will give us far more sets within their 20 and 30 so brooks doesnt have only one option, in the bomb.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 204 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 10 May, 2014 11:01 am

That was his worst game to date last night. But that's okay, he's going to have weeks like that.

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 85 times

Unread post by willow » Sat 10 May, 2014 11:07 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:That was his worst game to date last night. But that's okay, he's going to have weeks like that.
I assume you are referring to his attack because his defence was very good, came up with a great one on side tackle where he chopped SBW down, and his run down of RTS was brilliant as that kid can motor.

When your forwards don't win the ruck, it's always going to be a difficult ask for a 19 year old halfback to shine.

spearby

Unread post by spearby » Sat 10 May, 2014 12:07 pm

willow wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:That was his worst game to date last night. But that's okay, he's going to have weeks like that.
I assume you are referring to his attack because his defence was very good, came up with a great one on side tackle where he chopped SBW down, and his run down of RTS was brilliant as that kid can motor.

When your forwards don't win the ruck, it's always going to be a difficult ask for a 19 year old halfback to shine.
thanks willow you watch the same game as myself I don't know how people can knock him on that game

happy tiger
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Sat 10 May, 2014 12:23 pm

His defence is quite good

When you compare him to Marshall and Lui he is brilliant

Goose

Unread post by Goose » Sat 10 May, 2014 1:31 pm

he defended very well for a 19 yo halfback.
I thought he was OK in attack given the circumstances.
Overall last tackle plays from him were pretty good, a couple errors.
He over plays at time but is creative and asks questions.
He is going very well for a young guy who could be playing 20's
The last two young halves to come into to first grade were both in year 2 aftet NYC, the fact he is competing whilst still eligible for 20's is remarkable

MacDougall

Unread post by MacDougall » Sat 10 May, 2014 1:36 pm

Brooks would have to be one of the fastest halfbacks in the NRL. Only really see Kelly and maybe Tyrone Roberts matching him for pace.

thesquid

Unread post by thesquid » Sat 10 May, 2014 1:45 pm

Must be just me, but I think Brooks was brought in young was because he was a legend to be, in attack, not defence. I don't see any team going a full year with not much in the attacking department, when we could have just had him in the NSW Cup getting his game together for playing with the bigger men.

Im just wondering how many games do these rose coloured glasses stay on some people until they start asking questions.

I am already inches away from having him go to NSW Cup where he should have been to begin with. We cant keep having this directionless, attack less team go too much farther, so I am going to be asking the questions.

I just don't get why Austin was put on the outer this game, left out of 5th tackle options and was obviously instructed for Brooks to take on the organiser roll, when in NSW Cup, he was directing the team and getting them wins. Im talking in respect to when it was obvious there was no direction or much attack in the first half, then to change tact.

If Brooks doesn't step up in directing the team, doesn't offer much more in attack, then someone is going to have to, I don't care who it is, but the half back position is attack, not defence. I look forward to Brooks giving much more in attack.
Last edited by thesquid on Sat 10 May, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Round 9: Wests Tigers vs Sydney Roosters”