Post by willow » Wed 14 May, 2014 12:31 pm

Sharks v Wests Tigers preview

By Jack Brady, Staff Writer
NRL.com
12:20pm Wed 14th May, 2014

Sharks v Wests Tigers
Remondis Stadium
Saturday 5:30pm

This week the Wests Tigers will take on the Wests Tig... hold on a second, we mean the Sharks.

You can understand our confusion, with the likes of Bryce Gibbs, John Morris, Chris Heighington, Beau Ryan, Isaac De Gois, Blake Ayshford and David Fifita lining up against their former club in a Cronulla jumper this Saturday afternoon. It could have been more, too, if it wasn't for the ankle injury suffered by Andrew Fifita last round.

While the final scores in their last games didn't really reflect how things went down, both sides were victims of large deficits in Round 9. The Wests Tigers failed to take advantage of their opportunities in a 30-6 loss to reigning premiers the Roosters, while Cronulla lost 42-24 to a rampant Eels side.

In team changes, the Tigers welcome back skipper Robbie Farah, Sauaso Sue and Braith Anasta. Anasta's replacement Blake Austin drops back to the bench, while Joel Luani and Sitaleki Akauola drop out of the 17. Corey Paterson will start in the back row.

For the Sharks, they have produced a brand new front row this weekend, with Sam Tagataese and Bryce Gibbs returning. They replace the injured Andrew Fifita and the benched Siosaia Vave. David Fifita drops back to an extended bench, which also contains hooker Michael Lichaa and outside back Jonathan Wright.

This game should be a lot closer than their ladder positions suggest. With the 16th placed Sharks taking on the Tigers (who only last week were in the top four) the end result of this game is sure to shake the competition in one way or another – especially with the Sharks looking to make something of their season.

Watch out Sharks: Robbie Farah's impact for the Tigers is enormous. Four tries, four line-breaks, six try-assists, seven line-break assists, 20 tackle-breaks and 41.7 tackles per match in 2014 makes you think it’s no wonder the Tigers are so high on the ladder. It reads pretty great and it's even better to watch on the field. A massive game should be expected from Farah, especially with NSW Origin duties looming. The Sharks won't know what hit them if Farah returns in full force.

While the Sharks did go down by 18 to Parramatta last Monday night, when you look back on the stats you would think the boys from the Shire had snuck a win. With one extra line-break, 18 more offloads and nine less missed tackles then their more fancied opposition, the Sharks didn't play all that bad. With 47 minutes spent in the Eels’ half though, Cronulla will undoubtedly have to pick up their attack against the Tigers.

Watch out Wests Tigers: The Tigers simply made the Roosters look good last weekend. Two errors lead to long distance tries and the score did not reflect a scrappy game of football. A 62 per cent completion rate will never win you a game of footy and despite being in possession of the ball for more than half the game against the Roosters, the Tigers only scored one try. A big lesson in cohesion will be drilled into the Tigers before facing the Sharks.

With State of Origin on the horizon, Sharks captain Paul Gallen has returned from his syndesmosis injury in a big way and it showed against Parramatta last round. Recovering from an earlier head knock, Gallen produced five offloads, 26 tackles, a try assist, 20 runs for 145 metres, six tackle-breaks and a line break assist. The Tigers will have to be on their game when it comes to Gal on Saturday afternoon.

Plays to Watch: The Sharks proved on Monday night that they have some quality when it comes to the second-phase plays. Paul Gallen's cheeky offload after beating several men to set up Isaac De Gois's try was just one example of the Sharks’ ability to turn nothing into something.

When it comes to sneaky, the Tigers are quite exceptional at them. While halfback Luke Brooks is usually the producer, delivering their one and only try against the Roosters to Chris Lawrence, the returning Robbie Farah is always good for a grubber himself and will surely try and pull one off at some stage on Saturday.

Where It Will Be Won: The Sharks and the Tigers both spent 47 minutes of their respective games in their opponent's halves in Round 9. While the Sharks managed four tries they still lost by 18, while the Tigers only produced a paltry one try. Both teams will go a long way to winning the game by capitalising on their opportunities when in possession – and in the Sharks’ case, backing it up in defence.

The History: Played 25; Sharks 7, Tigers 15, Draw 3. While the Sharks managed bragging rights over the Tigers in 2013, winning their last meeting 36-22 in Round 1, the Sharkies have struggled to beat the Tigers in recent times. Since 2003, the Tigers have only lost three times to the Sharks, including five 13-plus wins.

Match Officials: Referees – Gavin Morris & Henry Perenara; Sideline Officials – Jeff Younis & Adam Reid; Video Referees – Steve Chiddy & Steve Folkes.

Televised: Fox Sports 1 – Live 5.30pm.

The Way We See It: With both teams coming off miserable losses they will be up for a big showing when push comes to shove on Saturday afternoon. With history on their side, a forward pack that should turn up fired up and their captain Robbie Farah returning, the Tigers should do enough to sneak away with the competition points. Tigers by two.

Defiant
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Defiant » Fri 16 May, 2014 7:20 pm

We really need to fire up for this game.

Cronulla 1.68 favourites sums up how much respect the team has achieved this year.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 16 May, 2014 7:26 pm

Defiant wrote:We really need to fire up for this game.

Cronulla 1.68 favourites sums up how much respect the team has achieved this year.
I just don't get how the Sharks are favourites

Hope Potter sticks these figures in front of every players noses sometime tomorrow to show the complete lack of respect that everyone has for the club

Put the cleaners through them Tigers :sign:

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Fri 16 May, 2014 7:29 pm

This is wierd . Everyone is tipping us but sharks have lower odds

Posted using RoarFEED V.4
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Knuckles

Post by Knuckles » Fri 16 May, 2014 7:32 pm

I wouldn't take $1.68 either .... If we tackle like we did against Parra well win for sure

Eye Of Da Tiger

Post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Fri 16 May, 2014 7:32 pm

Carney will play! That's a vital boost for them but we should win comfortably .

Milky

Post by Milky » Fri 16 May, 2014 8:09 pm

Knuckles wrote:I wouldn't take $1.68 either .... If we tackle like we did against Parra well win for sure
We conceded more tries than we scored...

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Fri 16 May, 2014 8:48 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Defiant wrote:We really need to fire up for this game.

I just don't get how the Sharks are favourites

Hope Potter sticks these figures in front of every players noses sometime tomorrow to show the complete lack of respect that everyone has for the club

Put the cleaners through them Tigers :sign:
I don't get it either, maybe they think they Sharks are due for a win - who knows? All I know is that we've had a great start to the season, which has only been stalled in the past couple of weeks because of too many injuries to key players, 4 of whom return this week, including our inspirational captain. Despite this setback, we remain in the top 8.

Cronulla, on the other hand, are stone motherless last, have been playing like busteds and have just lost probably their most effective player (Fifita) and possibly Wade Graham for this game, as well. Considering all this, I just cannot see how the bookies can justify Cronulla's favouritism for this match.

All that said, the underdog tag sits a whole lot better with WT than the favourites tag, so I can only say... bring it on! I hope we smash them! :sign:
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

Anthism

Post by Anthism » Fri 16 May, 2014 9:47 pm

Don't know why people are tipping a close game. I think we'll win really well.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

Tigersman

Post by Tigersman » Fri 16 May, 2014 9:52 pm

I can't believe we are Outsiders...........1.70 Sharks 2.20 Tigers. I reckon we will win 13+
Tigersman since 2013!

str8nard

Post by str8nard » Fri 16 May, 2014 10:41 pm

This game is pivotal for our season.Not in ladder position but in terms of having the potential to add to our hard earned self-belief.A loss will mean 3 in a row, a win will take us to another level of confidence.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 16 May, 2014 10:45 pm

So much for the ASADA investigations breaking this week

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 16 May, 2014 11:05 pm

Milky wrote:
Knuckles wrote:I wouldn't take $1.68 either .... If we tackle like we did against Parra well win for sure
LOL...indeed we did :lol:

The odds have been up over a week, they were $1.92 each at one stage...I laugh when people equate odds with a lack of respect....

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Fri 16 May, 2014 11:55 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Milky wrote:

The odds have been up over a week, they were $1.92 each at one stage...I laugh when people equate odds with a lack of respect....
Well it certainly shows the bookies don't respect our chances of winning ahead of the Sharks.

Gray

Post by Gray » Sat 17 May, 2014 7:13 am

cktiger wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
Milky wrote:

Well it certainly shows the bookies don't respect our chances of winning ahead of the Sharks.
They're sitting at $2.20 at the moment according to NRL.com.

Great odds to double ya money and then some!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 17 May, 2014 7:50 am

cktiger wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
Milky wrote:

Instead of getting all offended at the price, snap it up!

The prices were SET even at the opening of betting, weight of money (punters) have decided where its at now...blame them if you feel a grievance - god knows why you would

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Sat 17 May, 2014 8:20 am

Who's offended?
Was just stating a point.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 17 May, 2014 8:48 am

Odds shifted against Tigers to $2.20 when Carney was named.