The words that inspired NSW's hard fought win (Good Read!)

Tigersman

The words that inspired NSW's hard fought win (Good Read!)

Unread post by Tigersman » Sun 01 Jun, 2014 3:55 pm

A newspaper column by NSW’s most successful State of Origin coach Phil Gould and some stirring half-time words from star fullback Jarryd Hayne and rookie prop Aaron Woods helped inspire the Blues to Wednesday night’s brave 12-8 series-opening defeat of Queensland at Suncorp Stadium.
Gould, who steered the Blues to five series wins and a draw in his seven years as Origin coach, used his column in last weekend’s Sun Herald to urge the NSW players to ignore the critics and believe in themselves, to be prepared to endure fatigue levels they had never experienced, be committed in defence and win the one-on-one battle with their opposite number.
To win, the Blues had to make an Origin record nine try-saving tackles and defend four of the last five sets of tackles in the match on their own tryline after some refereeing decisions by Shayne Hayne and Ben Cummins that left NSW coach Laurie Daley ‘‘absolutely filthy".
After being told about Gould’s column by former Blues great Brad Fittler, Daley showed it to his players on the morning of the Origin opener in Brisbane.
‘‘It focused on everything we’d been speaking about,’’ Daley said. ‘‘Gus put it in a way that only he can. The words he put together were exceptional.
‘‘I just passed it around on the morning before the game. I told them to have a read and pass it around. It was the messages we’d been speaking about. He hit the nail on the head.’’
Daley organised for a framed photo of each player as a junior to be pinned up in their lockers on game day, with the words ‘‘This is what you dreamed of your whole life’’ etched on the front.
Veteran forward Luke Lewis, who is the only member of the NSW squad to have played in a winning series, said the photo of him as a six-year-old was a heartfelt gesture from the NSWRL that inspired most of the players.
‘‘It was pretty cool, to be honest with you,’’ Lewis said. ‘‘We had no idea about it. It was really well set up in our lockers, so when I took my jersey down it was right there in front of me. It was really tasteful the way they did it.’’
Lewis said most of the players read Gould’s column. ‘‘Gus knows his footy, and it was all about what Origin is all about and the things Loz had touched on during the week. Just the way he said things about Origin and the way the game is played. He’s really good with words too, so it hit home with a lot of the boys. It was really good.’’
Gould wrote that no matter how well the NSW players performed in the first half, they would need to repeat the effort in the second 40minutes, and his prediction proved spot on as the Blues had to dig deep to hold off the Maroons as they dominated possession and field position in the second term.
Man of the match Hayne, who said ‘‘Individually, I just went to a place I’ve never been before’’, addressed the NSW players at half-time, along with skipper Paul Gallen and five-eighth Josh Reynolds.
‘‘Jarryd has never done anything like that before in Origin at half-time and he led by example,’’ a Blues insider said. ‘‘He just said Queensland were going to grind in the second half so we had to be up for the grind and not to give up.’’
As the players prepared to head back on to the field, Daley said: ‘‘The last thing I will say is that you know why they never lose – because they don’t give up.’’
‘‘Neither do f---ing we,’’ Woods defiantly responded, prompting a round of back-slapping as the fired-up Blues left the dressing room for the second half.

According to Sportsdata, NSW players made a record nine try-saving tackles, with Hayne and second-rower Beau Scott producing two each.
Gallen, Reynolds, winger Brett Morris and interchange forwards Luke Lewis and Tony Williams each produced a try-saving tackle as Queensland had ‘‘all of the good ball, all of the running, all of the momentum, the crowd and the referees’ calls go their way’’ in the second half.
With the Maroons completing 17 of their 21 sets in possessions in the second half compared with NSW completing 12 of 15 sets, the Blues had to make 188 tackles to 140 by Queensland.
Daley spent the last six minutes fuming in the coach’s box as the Maroons had three consecutive sets on the NSW line following decisions by the match officials to rule halfback Trent Hodkinson had lost the ball when it appeared to have been stripped and to give the ball back to Justin Hodges after stopping play to allow Billy Slater to receive treatment for a shoulder injury.
Instead of Hodges playing the ball on the left side of the field where play had been halted, he was allowed to hand it to Greg Inglis and run back to his right centre position so he could receive the ball again on the next play.
The Blues were also unhappy no action was taken against Queensland halfback replacement Daly Cherry-Evans for taking out Michael Jennings when he was running in support of a long break by Hayne.
Daley told his players the win was one of the most courageous in Origin history because of what they overcame in those dying minutes but he reminded them the job was not finished.
‘‘One more win and the series is ours,’’ Daley said.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/stat ... zrs36.html
Tigersman since 2013!

Eye Of Da Tiger

Unread post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Sun 01 Jun, 2014 4:19 pm

Go the Blues I have a 9 year old who has never been born for a series win. Time to break the drought. Looks like attitudes have changed.

softlaw
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by softlaw » Sun 01 Jun, 2014 7:43 pm

Woods brings a tear to an old props eye.
My favourite Tiger.
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

simonthetiger

Unread post by simonthetiger » Sun 01 Jun, 2014 11:52 pm

softlaw wrote:Woods brings a tear to an old props eye.
My favourite Tiger.
Isnt it great to see a passionate big feller???

Reminds me of Blocker back in the day!!

LCA
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by LCA » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 6:43 pm

Hmmm..I am a bit partial to a passionate big fella.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by formerguest » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 7:52 pm

LCA wrote:Hmmm..I am a bit partial to a passionate big fella.
I'm not, but hey, each to their own.

AmericanHistoryX

Unread post by AmericanHistoryX » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 9:08 pm

Judge Judy would dismiss it as 'hearsay'

Posted using RoarFEED V.4
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

AmericanHistoryX

Unread post by AmericanHistoryX » Fri 02 Jan, 2015 5:19 pm

for 2015 - how are about these words of inspiration - "we can win"
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Fri 02 Jan, 2015 10:25 pm

AmericanHistoryX wrote:for 2015 - how are about these words of inspiration - "we can win"
You might want to change that

We can win , if Cronk is injured again

Anyway you blokes can't be claiming that SOO series since it has been proven you had a drug cheat playing for you

Probably should be stripped and replayed in a six game series this year :D

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 47 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 03 Jan, 2015 6:40 am

happy tiger wrote:
AmericanHistoryX wrote:for 2015 - how are about these words of inspiration - "we can win"

Anyway you blokes can't be claiming that SOO series since it has been proven you had a drug cheat playing for you

We are allowed one drug cheat under the same rules that allow qld to play unlimited numbers of salary cap cheats, (at least 3 at last count, including their Captain Bring in players in players from other competitions i.e. Langer. And play a vast number of players who's closest ties to qld was a holiday at Surfers with Mum And Dad when they werein primary school. Aren't glass house a bummer???? Lol

simonthetiger

Unread post by simonthetiger » Sat 03 Jan, 2015 7:20 am

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Sat 03 Jan, 2015 8:37 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

We are allowed one drug cheat under the same rules that allow qld to play unlimited numbers of salary cap cheats, (at least 3 at last count, including their Captain Bring in players in players from other competitions i.e. Langer. And play a vast number of players who's closest ties to qld was a holiday at Surfers with Mum And Dad when they werein primary school. Aren't glass house a bummer???? Lol
I suppose the one question you would have to ask is why Qlders would give their left and right to play for Qld and why New South Welshmen want to play for Qld and not get the cattle dog on big time ??

Says a lot I reckon

Russell
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 105 times

Unread post by Russell » Sat 03 Jan, 2015 8:42 am

Having a drug cheat in the Blues????? Not quite as relevant as the Maroons
having a referee in their corner though.

I hope Cronk plays - especially as well as he did in the 4 nations. Not worth a stamp Happy.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Sat 03 Jan, 2015 9:18 am

Russell wrote:Having a drug cheat in the Blues????? Not quite as relevant as the Maroons
having a referee in their corner though.

I hope Cronk plays - especially as well as he did in the 4 nations. Not worth a stamp Happy.
Yeah he didn't play well in the 4 Nations Russell , but the mystical powers of the maroon jersey will get the best out of him

How many Qlders get pulled out of reserve grade in the NSWRL or NRL days and play like supermen

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 263 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sat 03 Jan, 2015 9:36 am

All I remember is before Qld started there run and NSW were dominating up till 2005 ....Queenslanders were calling the Origin concept dead and irrelevant....same thing will happen again.....Qld supporters are as fickle as WT fans...

Long live NSW's RULE................................................................
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Sat 03 Jan, 2015 9:38 am

Geo. wrote:All I remember is before Qld started there run and NSW were dominating up till 2005 ....Queenslanders were calling the Origin concept dead and irrelevant....same thing will happen again.....Qld supporters are as fickle as WT fans...

Long live NSW's RULE................................................................
The last time NSW won a series before the last a comet was heading towards Earth an about to kill the dinosaurs like Flip and Cunno

cktiger
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by cktiger » Sat 03 Jan, 2015 11:26 am

happy tiger wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

I suppose the one question you would have to ask is why Qlders would give their left and right to play for Qld and why New South Welshmen want to play for Qld and not get the cattle dog on big time ??

Says a lot I reckon
Same reason why some people are traitors to their countries.
In those cases you would prefer the scum represent their 'adopted' homeland.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Sat 03 Jan, 2015 12:10 pm

cktiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:["]for 2015 - how are about these words of inspiration - "we can win"

Says a lot I reckon
Same reason why some people are traitors to their countries.
In those cases you would prefer the scum represent their 'adopted' homeland.[/quote]

So that probably says more about blokes from the actual home state

Qld has had two defectors (O'Connor and Nagas ) and NSW has had far , far more

Why does NSW have more defectors ??

I think I call check mate :mrgreen:

Return to “Supporter Groups, Interstate & International Fans”