Kids Footy

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36810
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Kids Footy

Post by happy tiger » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:18 pm

ALX22 wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:13 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 16 Feb, 2017 11:22 pm
Looks like our juniors will lose 3 sides this year Under 16 ,Under 17's and Under 14's

Yet the Under 6's at our club had over 36 kids and will field 5 teams

Do any other junior clubs across the country have the same issues that they know of ??
This problem has been going on for many years with these age groups. Has some of your key players left to join bigger clubs???

Not sure how to fix the problem, but obviously the hierarchy needs to sit down with all clubs/parents to determine a suitable arrangement.
Traditionally Brothers have been a strong club , they made the GF in every grade in Juniors bar my boys

No one has left the club , we've been lucky in a sense last two weeks have been rained out , we may have had to forfeit on the weekend


User avatar
wd in perth
Member
Member
Posts: 1840
Joined: Sun 30 Mar, 2014 9:53 pm

Post by wd in perth » Mon 15 May, 2017 12:35 am

Joondalup Giants under 16s here have 29 registered players here but only one team as there's always around 5 or so that are either sick or can't get to games due to distance they have to travel, or work schedule of parents etc. Our neighbouring club North Beach under 16s have 8 or 9 registered. A more centrally controlled registration system might need to be considered. Maybe maximum number to be allocated to each team to ensure a more even spread. I don't know, surely some clever people out there can work something out.
A trial against the Fremantle roosters 2 weeks ago ended in a 20 all draw and today's game finished at 22 all with our goal kicker missing a conversion from in front after the siren. Both great games....bring on the rest of the season.

User avatar
wd in perth
Member
Member
Posts: 1840
Joined: Sun 30 Mar, 2014 9:53 pm

Post by wd in perth » Mon 15 May, 2017 12:45 am

A fantastic show by the under 14s freo roosters boys today. They were far too strong for their competitors and we're up by 30 odd. The tigers got one back late with a great solo try. Then the roosters kicked off and the ball was picked up by a kid who was obviously way out of his depth but definitely part of his team. He ran straight through the defence and the roosters chased him all the way to the try line, but never getting close. The young fella put it down and his team mates all celebrated like they'd won a gf. The try scorer (we think) was challenged in some way as the defensive lapse was obviously put on. Brilliant show Roosters. Very, very impressive.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36810
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Sun 31 Dec, 2017 12:52 am

Boys start training next Thursday arvo

New coach , few new players from rugby

Just wish I could work out a way to have work and football mix for the young bloke and coach him for at least one year

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5542
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 6:48 pm

Not good news from the RL this week. Nothing in the wind about the inequity of size and experience in the lower ages. Rugby is already addressing the problem so is the Afl , or so I’m told. But nothing from the ostriches wlth their heads in the sand the GOod Ole RL.

Our club on the GC (one of the biggest) is starting to feel the loss of 10, 11, and 12 teams, easily the biggest problem is the increase of the bigger and in some cases older, kids and the fear of parents for their kids.
If they don’t wake up soon, junior league is going to be feeling the backlash of a lot of mums and Dads
The coming discussions about concussion won’t be helping us either,
I know that kids are really safe in the young ages, they would be just as likely to get a bruise or two in the playground ,

Buy we have to fight the perception in the parents minds.
There’s an add for kids from the RL on TV which does nothing to allay any parents fears, As well as being the most boring add for kids sport that I’ve ever seen.
Whose running the asylum at the Nrl, get some money and decent people into the junior clubs, or we will continue to lose players,
As well as that Stop kids from playing UNLESs they have a legit Birth Certificate.
There aresome families who look at rep teams as a way into a better family future.and anything goes to get their kids there is good, some of their birthdays are loose at the least,
But the clubs are too busy getting their rego money in,


happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36810
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 11:33 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 6:48 pm
Not good news from the RL this week. Nothing in the wind about the inequity of size and experience in the lower ages. Rugby is already addressing the problem so is the Afl , or so I’m told. But nothing from the ostriches wlth their heads in the sand the GOod Ole RL.

Our club on the GC (one of the biggest) is starting to feel the loss of 10, 11, and 12 teams, easily the biggest problem is the increase of the bigger and in some cases older, kids and the fear of parents for their kids.
If they don’t wake up soon, junior league is going to be feeling the backlash of a lot of mums and Dads
The coming discussions about concussion won’t be helping us either,
I know that kids are really safe in the young ages, they would be just as likely to get a bruise or two in the playground ,

Buy we have to fight the perception in the parents minds.
There’s an add for kids from the RL on TV which does nothing to allay any parents fears, As well as being the most boring add for kids sport that I’ve ever seen.
Whose running the asylum at the Nrl, get some money and decent people into the junior clubs, or we will continue to lose players,
As well as that Stop kids from playing UNLESs they have a legit Birth Certificate.
There aresome families who look at rep teams as a way into a better family future.and anything goes to get their kids there is good, some of their birthdays are loose at the least,
But the clubs are too busy getting their rego money in,
The weight issue is being looked at GCT , the NSWRL have a committee at the moment I believe

The hardest problem is working out what to do with the big kids

Many are just gentle giants , but you stick them up against kids 4 years older and they will get eaten alive

And what happens to the really talented little kids that don't have growth spurts until 14-15 , they play under 9/10's and go nowhere skill wise for a few years

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5542
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 12:05 am

happy tiger wrote:
Fri 23 Feb, 2018 11:33 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 6:48 pm
Not good news from the RL this week. Nothing in the wind about the inequity of size and experience in the lower ages. Rugby is already addressing the problem so is the Afl , or so I’m told. But nothing from the ostriches wlth their heads in the sand the GOod Ole RL.

Our club on the GC (one of the biggest) is starting to feel the loss of 10, 11, and 12 teams, easily the biggest problem is the increase of the bigger and in some cases older, kids and the fear of parents for their kids.
If they don’t wake up soon, junior league is going to be feeling the backlash of a lot of mums and Dads
The coming discussions about concussion won’t be helping us either,
I know that kids are really safe in the young ages, they would be just as likely to get a bruise or two in the playground ,

Buy we have to fight the perception in the parents minds.
There’s an add for kids from the RL on TV which does nothing to allay any parents fears, As well as being the most boring add for kids sport that I’ve ever seen.
Whose running the asylum at the Nrl, get some money and decent people into the junior clubs, or we will continue to lose players,
As well as that Stop kids from playing UNLESs they have a legit Birth Certificate.
There aresome families who look at rep teams as a way into a better family future.and anything goes to get their kids there is good, some of their birthdays are loose at the least,
But the clubs are too busy getting their rego money in,
The weight issue is being looked at GCT , the NSWRL have a committee at the moment I believe

The hardest problem is working out what to do with the big kids

Many are just gentle giants , but you stick them up against kids 4 years older and they will get eaten alive

And what happens to the really talented little kids that don't have growth spurts until 14-15 , they play under 9/10's and go nowhere skill wise for a few years
Happy,
Last year,I was put in touch with the bloke who was organising the push for a dual competition for the NSW League ,and he sent me the information that he had gathered about the system that Penrith and some others had tried experimentally last year, I didn’t read it all as I’d got it for my son to have a look at it for our club and Coaches,

He was confident that there would be some changes. This year.
. I recently heard that a big carnival was intended for around this time this year, but most of the clubs that had shown interest last season had pulled out; so nsw are back to scratch.,

I know the difficulties involving the big difference in sizes and weight. , but in the proposed competition players could not go up more than two weight divisions,, and the more experienced or skilful kids could continue to remain in their team if they wanted to.
It was a dual competition one graded and one Open, is probably the dest way to describe it.

Basically it the same system that Nathan Cleary has said publicly that it was the only thing that kept him in the game. Because he wasn’t going to play in an open Division
There has to be something done to make the game safer for the younger , smaller kids or we will lose them.

One alarming Development on the Coast was that in one club here this season , theygave out to all kids that signed up, a paper to put down which divion of their age did they want to play,
Hardly any of those kids didn’t want to play DIV 1. The number of them who did could be counted on one hand.
Despite the fact that there was enough for about 4teams and almost enough rep players to fill a team on their own
Times have changed Hap some of its good, some not so good,
But unless the RL stop having meetings and come up with a solution there’s going to be a drain away from the game. There already is in some places

The Gold Coast is an extremely strong area in RL but when you have a couple of kids that are each the size of the average garden shed , in an under 11 team , parents are going to drag their kids away
I don’t pretend to know the answer, but Nathan Cleary is a pretty good advertisement for the kiwi dual competitions.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3320
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 12:44 am

My young fella has decided to sign up to play RL for the first time this season, so will be back around junior league regularly again for the first time in many years.

He is tall and skinny, so will most likely struggle a bit against the really big kids in some areas, but they will have no hope of catching him with a bit of space, so swings and roundabouts for mine.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36810
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 12:58 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 12:05 am
happy tiger wrote:
Fri 23 Feb, 2018 11:33 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 6:48 pm
Not good news from the RL this week. Nothing in the wind about the inequity of size and experience in the lower ages. Rugby is already addressing the problem so is the Afl , or so I’m told. But nothing from the ostriches wlth their heads in the sand the GOod Ole RL.

Our club on the GC (one of the biggest) is starting to feel the loss of 10, 11, and 12 teams, easily the biggest problem is the increase of the bigger and in some cases older, kids and the fear of parents for their kids.
If they don’t wake up soon, junior league is going to be feeling the backlash of a lot of mums and Dads
The coming discussions about concussion won’t be helping us either,
I know that kids are really safe in the young ages, they would be just as likely to get a bruise or two in the playground ,

Buy we have to fight the perception in the parents minds.
There’s an add for kids from the RL on TV which does nothing to allay any parents fears, As well as being the most boring add for kids sport that I’ve ever seen.
Whose running the asylum at the Nrl, get some money and decent people into the junior clubs, or we will continue to lose players,
As well as that Stop kids from playing UNLESs they have a legit Birth Certificate.
There aresome families who look at rep teams as a way into a better family future.and anything goes to get their kids there is good, some of their birthdays are loose at the least,
But the clubs are too busy getting their rego money in,
The weight issue is being looked at GCT , the NSWRL have a committee at the moment I believe

The hardest problem is working out what to do with the big kids

Many are just gentle giants , but you stick them up against kids 4 years older and they will get eaten alive

And what happens to the really talented little kids that don't have growth spurts until 14-15 , they play under 9/10's and go nowhere skill wise for a few years
Happy,
Last year,I was put in touch with the bloke who was organising the push for a dual competition for the NSW League ,and he sent me the information that he had gathered about the system that Penrith and some others had tried experimentally last year, I didn’t read it all as I’d got it for my son to have a look at it for our club and Coaches,

He was confident that there would be some changes. This year.
. I recently heard that a big carnival was intended for around this time this year, but most of the clubs that had shown interest last season had pulled out; so nsw are back to scratch.,

I know the difficulties involving the big difference in sizes and weight. , but in the proposed competition players could not go up more than two weight divisions,, and the more experienced or skilful kids could continue to remain in their team if they wanted to.
It was a dual competition one graded and one Open, is probably the dest way to describe it.

Basically it the same system that Nathan Cleary has said publicly that it was the only thing that kept him in the game. Because he wasn’t going to play in an open Division
There has to be something done to make the game safer for the younger , smaller kids or we will lose them.

One alarming Development on the Coast was that in one club here this season , theygave out to all kids that signed up, a paper to put down which divion of their age did they want to play,
Hardly any of those kids didn’t want to play DIV 1. The number of them who did could be counted on one hand.
Despite the fact that there was enough for about 4teams and almost enough rep players to fill a team on their own
Times have changed Hap some of its good, some not so good,
But unless the RL stop having meetings and come up with a solution there’s going to be a drain away from the game. There already is in some places

The Gold Coast is an extremely strong area in RL but when you have a couple of kids that are each the size of the average garden shed , in an under 11 team , parents are going to drag their kids away
I don’t pretend to know the answer, but Nathan Cleary is a pretty good advertisement for the kiwi dual competitions.
Not arguing with you , GCT , but the youngers bigger kids need to have a limit as well

As I said a few years ago at the 1st JH cup that EB played in Noosa had a giant young fella easily 6 ft 2 and probably around 100kgs in under 12

Nicest kid as well , remember he came over when one of our players made a terrific try saving one on one tackle in absolutely bucketing rain and shook his hand and said great tackle after the game

You stick him in Under 15's and they'd tear him apart physically and mentally

Next question is when do you end it Under 18 ??

Then when do the smaller kids get a chance to test themselves against bigger kids , when they are 18 ??

School comps are dead , you'd never get the numbers together because of weights divisions

Things are different , AFL wasn't a concern 40 years ago , Football wasn't a concern 40 years ago

Post Reply
cron