Kids Footy

Doc Tiger

Re: Under 13's

Post by Doc Tiger » Mon 25 May, 2015 9:59 am

underdog wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
wd in perth wrote:The boys bounced back over the weekend with a classy and rugged victory over South Perth Saints. 24-14. The ref was forced to sinbin one from each team midway through the secong half for having a fairdinkum go at each other. Great to see them cool off together on the sideline before coming out and ripping in once again.
Yes our boys bounced back from 3 losses in 4 games with a 54-0 win over Calliope Both sides were missing players due to regional touch football trials in Rockhampton and Calliope needed to use some Under 10's from the game previous Shame because the game is usually a tight affair and we get to see the best prop in the comp who is also a girl She is an absolute machine , usually makes 3-4 tackles every set , couple of hit ups as well and is an excellent goal kicker

Our boys kicking was bad only converting 5/11
Can we get them to run out for the Tigers in a couple of weeks instead of our current team? :mrgreen:
An under 11's female prop in our run on squad. :D Love it.
Yes Happy, it's a shame indeed when the squad is drained of talent. But what can you do, right? I'm always impressed when kids play up a year. It shows tremendous courage at times due to the enormous size difference of some of the kids from year to year. Well done to your lot.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 26 May, 2015 7:00 pm

Its funny you bring up the playing up an age group or two

It was character building going up against older and bigger kids

But they really don't like it in this day and age

And the big issue talking about the young girl I was talking about , next year is the last year she can play against the boys , but their is no junior girls Rugby League in Gladstone

So what happens to this talented young lady and her passion for rugby league in the future ??

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Thu 28 May, 2015 12:13 am

A great shame for the young girl. Probably have to switch to tag I guess.

Over here, the kids play up grades all the time as there's just not enough kids to make teams. I've often seen a team of 9 take the field including a few from the age below.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 31 May, 2015 12:25 am

Very proud of my son today , got the MOTM and was just massive in an injury ravaged side

Outplayed his opposition prop who beat him for the rep side

Unfortunately they got rolled 18-10 by the top side , but was 12-10 until very late

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Tue 02 Jun, 2015 5:04 am

Big congrats to junior happy tiger. Great when a prop gets motm. Bet he would've loved a win to go with it though. Over this way, the Giants met the Freo Roosters and although they went down 34-20, it was a thriller locked at 16 all with 10 to go.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 03 Jun, 2015 10:32 am

wd in perth wrote:A great shame for the young girl. Probably have to switch to tag I guess.

Over here, the kids play up grades all the time as there's just not enough kids to make teams. I've often seen a team of 9 take the field including a few from the age below.
My Grandson played up in the under 9,s last year instead of the u8s , and went up to the 10,s this year and has handled it easily, we've got another player , that same age, both of them were scoring almost every time they handled the ball, and it was no good for them to stay back in their own age , as they thought that all you had to turn up and score tries.
They weren't learning anything , so when my G/Son was asked if he wanted to go up an age, he was happy about it , and went back to a little fish in a bigger pond , now hes back to scoring tries again, but he is learning how to work for tries, rather than just running around everyone, It's been great for him.
This year you wouldn't know there's any difference at all in they're ages , and both of the younger kids are in the top four kids in the team
We've also got a Girl, who is a also a forward, and is killing them.
She is constantly telling the kids to run at her at training, then gets up and asks them if that's the best they've got. It's hilarious.
Playing up is great for a lot of kids, if they can handle it, and want to,
The club will let them do it if they know they can handle it, it gets a bit harder in the higher ages though.

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Wed 03 Jun, 2015 4:59 pm

Yeah, that's true, when the kids hit 12-13 now some are still little boys, and others are men. There's a massive difference between some both in size and strength. Mey lad is tall and really thin. I often worry he's gonna snap, but so far so good. Played his first game of back row last week as until now he's been a winger. He gave it his all in D. Great to watch.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 03 Jun, 2015 7:36 pm

[quote="wd in Perth
that's true, when the kids hit 12-13 now some are still little boys, and others are men. There's a massive difference between some both in size and strength. Mey lad is tall and really thin. I often worry he's gonna snap, but so far so good. Played his first game of back row last week as until now he's been a winger. He gave it his all in D. Great to watch.[/quote

He'll love being more involved,

I love W/T and watch them whenever I can , but I've dropped off a lot of the other games as theyre all so alike , and watching teams who've probably spent double their opponent Just irritates me even more that they are allowed to do it.
But I have to admit that for a long while now, whether coaching or not, I enjoy the kids games even more . Seeing a kid who was a hopeless tackler all of a sudden pull off a copy book tackle, and realise that it's all fallen into place for him is priceless.

And we had a young bloke in 2013( under 7) who had played for two years and never even got near a tryline, he was a great kid but a bit uncoordinated and had a bit of trouble with his hands.

All the kids decided on our last game that year that they would make sure he scored one, so they did everything to set him up and at one stage late in the game were even doing figure eights to stay alive near the tryline so he could get close enough to get over the line. I was standing near a bunch of the opposition parents , that we knew, and told them that our kids weren't taking the mickey out of their team . And what the situation actually was, And soon we had all the parents from both teams cheering for this kid to score.
It just didn't happen until the kids had nearly given up and this kid come straight on to a ball about 25 metres out, the ball stuck, ( none of us had ever seen him actually run hard before ) and he went straight over for the one and only try he ever scored ( he didn't play the next year as the chances of him getting hurt were getting greater) but the best thing was that he did it all himself, with no help.
I've never seen a kid so happy, he spent the whole afternoon high fiving and hugging everybody he could get to, and reliving that try.
Things like those two don't happen all that Often, but its those little things that help keep a lot of junior Coaches in it for so long.
Sorry if I've bored everyone , but the rewards in being involved in kids sports are incredible , and a lot less boring than the NRL
Try And get to a few of the younger kids gamesin your area , You won't be disappointed

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Wed 03 Jun, 2015 9:39 pm

Great story

Thought I'd change the heading to a more suitable title given the content of the discussion. Changing the OP however hasn't seemed to carry on through all of the subsequent posts.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 3:05 am

wd in perth wrote:Great story

Thought I'd change the heading to a more suitable title given the content of the discussion. Changing the OP however hasn't seemed to carry on through all of the subsequent posts.
Sorry WD. I did get off the original Topic a bit, apologies

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 11:24 am

Hey, no problem at all. I think it's great to hear stories about kids games. This can be a thread encompassing all sorts of good news stories. And maybe a little bragging. :)

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 15 Jun, 2015 10:58 pm

Young fella has games coming out of his ears over the next month

7 games on the 25/26th /6 (not including any finals ) Laurie Spina Cup

5 games on the 10/7 and 11/7 (not including any finals ) Jason Hetherington Cup

5 games on the 15/7,16/7 and 17/7 (not including any finals ) Challenge Cup

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 15 Jun, 2015 11:08 pm

happy tiger wrote:Young fella has games coming out of his ears over the next month

I rang Dank ,,,he will be on his way up on Tuesday,,,

Good luck to the young fella Hao...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 15 Jun, 2015 11:33 pm

Geo. wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Young fella has games coming out of his ears over the next month

I rang Dank ,,,he will be on his way up on Tuesday,,,

Good luck to the young fella Hao...
Thanks mate

We have high hopes for LS Cup and JH Cup to make the semis , probably depends on what teams you get in your groups

Our best player will be back for LS Cup and he makes a big difference , we were undefeated until he got injured along with others

Fingers crossed they play well and have a ball :D

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 9:21 pm

Happy Junior side had a good win today 18-12 and they were the curtain raiser to the A Grade

He scored a double today and had a big game for his side again

Good to see our side is hitting some form before Townsville and is beat a side they could potentially play in Townsville

He had a new experience today , had his ankle strapped

Poor bugger was cursing just before though

Dad assumed the trainer would have a razor , she assumed I would shave it LOL

He was almost in tears when I took it off

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 10:39 pm

Great news on the Junior Happy front. Congrats on the tries. LOL re the strapping. Best of luck with the upcoming games.

My young bloke had a big win last week and they're playing tomorrow against a team that did by 60 odd first round so not much to report this end. He's not playing tomorrow though as he's away on a school trip for a few days playing drums in a rock band. Im trying to point him down the music path because he's so bloody good, but he seems to want to focus on football more-so. Oh well, what can you do huh?

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 10:49 pm

wd in perth wrote:Great news on the Junior Happy front. Congrats on the tries. LOL re the strapping. Best of luck with the upcoming games.

My young bloke had a big win last week and they're playing tomorrow against a team that did by 60 odd first round so not much to report this end. He's not playing tomorrow though as he's away on a school trip for a few days playing drums in a rock band. Im trying to point him down the music path because he's so bloody good, but he seems to want to focus on football more-so. Oh well, what can you do huh?
Thanks WD

Hope they can improve on their last victory

As if our kids listen to what we say

Not looking forward to the driving next week ,that's for sure

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Sun 21 Jun, 2015 7:14 pm

So today the team was notified that no games were to be played - all cancelled. Not because the wild and rubbish weather, but because the field was covered in broken glass. You can only shake your head and wonder wtf goes through the minds of some.