Analysis of tonight's game

LCA

Re: Analysis of tonight's game

Post by LCA » Sat 24 May, 2014 10:51 pm

Marika as the savior? Really? Yes, he is scoring freakish tries in NSW Cup but he is also letting in more than he scores. He can't catch a bomb to save himself and his defensive reads are abominable.

pacman

Post by pacman » Sat 24 May, 2014 10:56 pm

LCA wrote:Marika as the savior? Really? Yes, he is scoring freakish tries in NSW Cup but he is also letting in more than he scores. He can't catch a bomb to save himself and his defensive reads are abominable.
How many tries did he let in today? Zero.
5 line breaks, 2 tries, a try assist and a try saver from the opposite side of the field. We had hardly any attack today. Even though his defense may not be that great - for his attack alone he is worth picking in first grade - really need his spark as well as our others back ie farah, woods, sironen, gavet and tedesco. AND SOMEONE TO REPLACE ANASTA! And we should be good

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 24 May, 2014 11:03 pm

I think our first choice back five are very capable, including Lawrence. When we get our first choice side back I expect significant improvement in our cohesion.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 25 May, 2014 2:03 am

My analysis

1 We played with heart but not a lot of brains
2 Blair is playing really good footy
3 Nofoaluma must still be carrying an injury
4 Great defensive effort
5 Rowe was disappointing tonight , took a step backwards
6 The bye probably has come at the perfect time
7 Brooks was good tonight , but I think he overplays his hand to himself too often The perfect example was just before he got hurt , he should of been setting himself or someone else for a field goal attempt but decides to run the ball , don't mind him doing that as long as he brings say a Simona or Rowe with him to dump it inside and then set for the field goal
8 If Farah isn't playing we can't play Anasta
9 Taupau will be our buy of the season , just get those niggly penalties out of your game
10 We should of won that game , I just hope we don't go on to rue that lose after Round 26

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sun 25 May, 2014 2:26 am

I thought the interchange was all over the place tonight and too many switches of position. Bench lacked it usual punch. Luani was a bit all over the place and without someone straightening attack and keeping their forwards honest, they were sliding in defence to help the backs out.

Mistakes (penalties, dropped ball and poor last play options) cost us. The broncos 7 Hunt, controlled the game through his kicking and that was probably the difference.

Anasta runs across field which blunted our right side attack .

Pretty sure we have broncos covered when we get Farah and co. back and once Brooks gets a decent 6 and some more experience.

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sun 25 May, 2014 2:36 am

I thought the interchange was all over the place tonight and too many switches of position. Bench lacked it usual punch. Luani was a bit all over the place and without someone straightening attack and keeping their forwards honest, they were sliding in defence to help the backs out.

Mistakes (penalties, dropped ball and poor last play options) cost us. The broncos 7 Hunt, controlled the game through his kicking and that was probably the difference.

Anasta runs across field which blunted our right side attack .

Pretty sure we have broncos covered when we get Farah and co. back and once Brooks gets a decent 6 and some more experience.

teegasm

Post by teegasm » Sun 25 May, 2014 5:42 am

stevetiger wrote:
MacDougall wrote:Lulia wasn't bad at all. Ran strongly and defended well. Rest is fair.
Nothing wrong with his performance.
Lulia played fine when he came on. He did his job when he a brief couple minutes at second row and then slid out to centre when Lawrence came off.

The main issue is that it's a waste of an interchange spot. There is absolutely no need for a replacement centre on the bench who comes on in the last 20-30 minutes (if there are no injuries).

The bench spot would've been better utilised by a forward like Fine/Patterson/Buchanan/Brown/Murdoch-Masila (lol jk) who could join the rotation and help to keep our big boys fresh and firing.

Probably my main criticism of Potter is that he doesn't use the interchange to it's full potential. I haven't seen the figures for the amount of minutes played by each player but i get the feeling that we didn't get the most out of some of the boys.

The amount of errors that crept into the game from poor handling, silly penalties makes you wonder if fatigue had something to do with that.

And with the game on the line in the last 10 minutes like it was tonight, this kind of stuff matters even more.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 25 May, 2014 6:28 am

king sirro wrote:
MacDougall wrote:
mtd wrote:
MacDougall wrote:Lulia wasn't bad at all. Ran strongly and defended well. Rest is fair.
he is out of synch in attack. his defence around the middle was good though..
You must be referring to the play where he ran the best decoy of all time and drew Reed and Glenn only to have the ball thrown to him mid contact. Not his fault.

I blame Sitaleki for not pushing up there giving Brooks the option of passing behind Lulia which would have been an easy match winning try. But i need to see it again to be 100% sure on that. I might be being too hard on Akaoula
Yeah, that is how I saw it. Lulia was solid and certainly ran a great line to draw in two defenders and open a large hole late in the game.

Akaoula was plain lazy on that last tackle play, just metres from their line and in the final minutes when we needed some sort of result. A light jog would have had him in position charge over, or catch and pass for an unmarked Richards. Sadly, he was also a bit nonchalant, when letting Hunt through to get them down on our line for the penalty that won the game.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 25 May, 2014 7:35 am

My concern is our two best attacking players Simona and Nofo aren't seeing any ball, and no one seems to want to mention it because they're all raving on about anasta, lulia and lawrence.
At the moment simona might well send out a cardboard cutout of himself and nofos knee looks like its effecting him if it is, stick koro there.
From what I've seen so far this season yes we've improved and we might scrape into the 8 but were not contenders even with our full squad. I could see this mini form slump coming from the parra game which imo were extremely lucky to getaway with as well as the sharks game. The bye has come at a good time, we're limping. Potter has some tough decisions coming up, our season rests on him making the right ones. 9th or 10th is my prediction.