time to go Liam

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 7 times

time to go Liam

Unread post by southerntiger » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 8:18 pm

How many concussions this year? Has he got through a game without concussion?

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

quintus
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by quintus » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 8:26 pm

BlackandGoldForever wrote:its blown out of proposion coz of the concussion rule which is stupid.

Dallas Johnson and Simon Gillis Geoff Toovery imagine these 2 guys under the rule they would hardly play a game
And you don't think that Geoff Toovey is Brain damaged? I would classify him as punchy in the old lingo....

bob56

Unread post by bob56 » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 11:04 pm

Love the WestsTigers wrote:Feel sorry for the bloke, tries his guts out and this year he has been out a lot more

Maybe wearing a headgear might help.

Plenty in the tank before Liam has to retire IMO
Headgear would not have protected with from fa'alonga;s elbow to the face!!

azsportza

Unread post by azsportza » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 11:11 pm

Footage of the incident – http://youtu.be/0brwr0LxsSw

gallagher
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 62 times

Unread post by gallagher » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 11:13 pm

Jesus!!! Surely that will get picked up

1/4 chicken,chips
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 11:52 pm

In the NFL they have a pension age which is 52 and I believe not many actually reach that age cause of the massive concussions they receive ...time to have a rest bozo

pHyR3

Unread post by pHyR3 » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 1:22 am

Grant Mayer has lodged a complaint to Todd Greenberg over the incident. not sure if it was an official or unofficial complaint, but no doubt this grub will not be playing NRL for at least a few weeks.

is he the same guy who got up and punched braith anasta when he was playing for souths and braith for the chooks?
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

Winnipeg
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Winnipeg » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 1:28 am

It's a worry, and I'm sure Liam has it on his mind

But I don't think this thread would exist if it were Farah or another key player who was constantly getting knocked out.

It's only time for Fulton to go because we are flush for second rowers right?

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by southerntiger » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 4:19 am

Winnipeg wrote:It's a worry, and I'm sure Liam has it on his mind

But I don't think this thread would exist if it were Farah or another key player who was constantly getting knocked out.

It's only time for Fulton to go because we are flush for second rowers right?
No. Its because it is a serious long term issue for players who have repeat concussions.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

Tigertigertiger

Unread post by Tigertigertiger » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 8:16 am

Anasta didn't look good either, add him to the list

turnstyle
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by turnstyle » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 6:42 pm

Eddie wrote:We can not risk picking him again this season. With these new concussion rules we are down to 16 every time he takes the field in 2014. If we had a free 18th man then fine send him out there an hope for the best.

I feel very sorry for him. However the decisions needs to be taken out of his hands. Stand him down for the rest of the season or get through a few games in the reserves.

He has been a great servant, but it seems his time has come to an end. He needs to look after himself.
apart from your very last sentence, i think you are completely missing the point Eddie - the issue isnt that the tigers are playing a man down with him off the field, it is the concern for fulton's mental and physical well being.

and to say to send him out and hope for the best is extremely cold towards him as a person; your view seems to focus too much upon how it affects the team by his not completing matches.

will give you fair dues for saying he needs to look after himself, but the rest of your post i think could have been more sympathetic to the real issue.

Eddie
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Eddie » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 9:26 pm

turnstyle wrote:
Eddie wrote:We can not risk picking him again this season. With these new concussion rules we are down to 16 every time he takes the field in 2014. If we had a free 18th man then fine send him out there an hope for the best.

I feel very sorry for him. However the decisions needs to be taken out of his hands. Stand him down for the rest of the season or get through a few games in the reserves.

He has been a great servant, but it seems his time has come to an end. He needs to look after himself.
apart from your very last sentence, i think you are completely missing the point Eddie - the issue isnt that the tigers are playing a man down with him off the field, it is the concern for fulton's mental and physical well being.

and to say to send him out and hope for the best is extremely cold towards him as a person; your view seems to focus too much upon how it affects the team by his not completing matches.

will give you fair dues for saying he needs to look after himself, but the rest of your post i think could have been more sympathetic to the real issue.
I get what the issues are

I am interested in winning games. Its becoming an issue. It might be cold but its the truth. Can we afford to pick a bloke who is not finishing any game? It is a fact. 4 times he has had to leave miles before fulltime leaving us short on the bench. He is a great competitor who has always spilt blood for the Tigers. Im sure not finishing matches will be devastating for him. I don't blame him. I feel sorry for him.

When I say send him out there I mean Fulton obviously is desperate to play otherwise he would sit it out and not make comebacks every 3 weeks. When i say he needs to look after himself thats what i mean. Simple. Hopefully it is just a freakish run of bad luck although it does not look good.

turnstyle
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by turnstyle » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 10:53 pm

I hadn't even thought of the detriment to the team tbh, but you're right in that they can't afford to keep playing with 16 - cold or not.

There's no denying the fact they continue to play a man down when he gets concussed; it's just that we are both looking at the same issue from different angles.

Good to have different perspectives - the forum would be boring without it!

happy tiger
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 11:00 pm

Strange though when you look at the tackle in question it looked nowhere near us bad when you see it from the angle they showed on the Matty Johns Show as it did on the angle shown on the Forum

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 206 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 10 Jun, 2014 12:03 am

I don't think retirement would be the worst decision he could make. With everything thats known about concussions today you can't screw around. They will mess you up in later life if you're not careful. Just look at Chris Benoit. Not implying that it could ever get that bad, but thats how bad a series of concussions can mess you up.

alex

Unread post by alex » Thu 12 Jun, 2014 9:22 am

Tweet from Lara Pitt:

"Mick Potter says Liam Fulton won't play for at least a couple of weeks,being sent for more tests. Will wait for Drs advice re long term plan"

happy tiger
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Thu 12 Jun, 2014 10:08 am

I reckon if for some reason Liam does need to retire we hire him as an assistant to Kidwell

Reckon with his excellent tackling technique he could become a good defence coach , especially seeing that Kidwell probably isn't too far away from getting his own head coaching gig

Nors05
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Nors05 » Thu 12 Jun, 2014 10:42 am

I think the club and NRL need to really outline every possible scenario based on the current research and let him make a final decision.
If Fulton does decide to leave, he needs to be compensated fully for the remainder of his contract, either with a staffing position within the WT or some other payment method. If he does retire, the money that he gets SHOULD NOT be considered within our salary cap.

My hope is that he will continue to receive his salary for the remainder of the 2-1/2 years in some sort coaching role with Kidwell, without this coming from our salary cap. This would be ideal as it would give Fulton enough experience during this time to start a new coaching/training career.

Return to “Round 13: Wests Tigers vs Newcastle Knights”