time to go Liam

tiger jim

time to go Liam

Post by tiger jim » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 4:51 pm

Sorry to say Liam i wish you would consider retirement, mate you have had so many head knocks this season your body might be telling you something, i and many on this forum would not like to see you with any sort of permanent damage you have been a great tiger so please think about it. I say this with a heavy heart.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 4:54 pm

Retirement is the first thought i had when i heard he's concussed again.

I doubt he will even entertain the idea but Shaun Valentine may need to give him a call.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Jerry Seinfeld

Post by Jerry Seinfeld » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 5:02 pm

king sirro wrote:Retirement is the first thought i had when i heard he's concussed again.

I doubt he will even entertain the idea but Shaun Valentine may need to give him a call.

After googling shaun Valentine after not remembering his name I found this story about him.Its time to think of your family Liam.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/n ... 6763764432#

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 5:29 pm

I agree it is a massive concern for Liam that he is continually suffering from concussion in games this year...Liam, the club and his doctors should really sit gown and have a long hard look at this and make the right call for Liam...maybe he needs to give the game away, maybe he needs 6 months off..I dont profess to know the right answer but I hope there is concern in the club to have a long hard discussion with the right people.....it is clear his body is telling him something....I just hope the right call is made....

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 5:34 pm

I actually logged on specifically to say the same thing. These days people have become well aware of the cumulative effects of repeated head taumas (concussions) and in Liam's case I get the thought: there's more to life than playing rugby league.

Unless there is a 100% guaranteed to protect from concussion helmet, I wouldn't like to see him playing any more.

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 5:39 pm

alexaki wrote:I agree it is a massive concern for Liam that he is continually suffering from concussion in games this year...Liam, the club and his doctors should really sit gown and have a long hard look at this and make the right call for Liam...maybe he needs to give the game away, maybe he needs 6 months off..I dont profess to know the right answer but I hope there is concern in the club to have a long hard discussion with the right people.....it is clear his body is telling him something....I just hope the right call is made....
I think it will be. It seems the most sensible thing that if he won't step aside himself, the tigers should make him.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 5:44 pm

It really is becoming a serious concern for Fulton this year. In all seriousness, he does need to put his family first and he does have business ventures outside the game so he will survive.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 6:14 pm

We can not risk picking him again this season. With these new concussion rules we are down to 16 every time he takes the field in 2014. If we had a free 18th man then fine send him out there an hope for the best.

I feel very sorry for him. However the decisions needs to be taken out of his hands. Stand him down for the rest of the season or get through a few games in the reserves.

He has been a great servant, but it seems his time has come to an end. He needs to look after himself.

norm

Post by norm » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 6:20 pm

Liam you have been a great servant to this club, but you have to look after yourself and your family. Time to give it away mate.

BlackandGoldForever

Post by BlackandGoldForever » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 6:31 pm

its blown out of proposion coz of the concussion rule which is stupid.

Dallas Johnson and Simon Gillis Geoff Toovery imagine these 2 guys under the rule they would hardly play a game

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 6:36 pm

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article ... d=11264856

Someone should send this article to Liam. People shouldnt play this down. Massive issue for the game to deal with.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

Mccarry

Post by Mccarry » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 7:17 pm

Some one needs to remind Liam that it's a long life from 30 to 80 years old. 50 years of head aches or worse migraines and seizures is a nightmare scenario.

In addition the NRL still need to step up in this space. Boxing is far stricter. Boxers commonly have MRI's after brain trauma. Some doctors required an annual MRI before they give medical clearance.

I appreciate that knock outs are more serious than most of what Liam has suffered, however note that TKO's would result very quickly from the level of concussion that football players suffer from. If the ref didn't stop the fight within that first 3 - 5 seconds of a concussion, things get dangerous very quickly.

See below excerpt from Boxing regulations:

Protective Measures

7.16 One Knock-Out – A boxer who has been knocked out with no loss of consciousness as a result of head blows during a contest... ...shall not be permitted to take part in competitive boxing or sparring for a period of at least 30 days after the boxer has been knocked out.

7.17 Two Knock-Outs – A boxer who has been knocked out as a result of head blows during a contest or wherein the Referee has stopped the contest.... twice in a period of 90 days shall not be permitted to take part in competitive Boxing or sparring for a period of 90 days from the second knock-out.

7.18 Three Knock-Outs – A boxer who has been knocked out as a result of a head blow(s) during a contest or wherein the Referee has stopped the contest due to the boxer having received hard blows to the head making this boxer defenceless or
incapable of continuing three times in a period of 12 months shall not be allowed to take part in competitive boxing or sparring for a period of 360 days from the third knock-out.

With the above in play Liam would be spending much more time with his 'Adrienne'... Can you hear him yell her name?

In all seriousness Liam should be very careful. The club needs to help him make long term decisions.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 7:17 pm

southerntiger wrote:http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article ... d=11264856

Someone should send this article to Liam. People shouldnt play this down. Massive issue for the game to deal with.

Thats a scary read
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Demps

Post by Demps » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 7:42 pm

In all honesty...
Is he still a good player?
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 7:45 pm

Demps wrote:In all honesty...
Is he still a good player?
Mate thats a fair question but that shiuldnt be a motivating factor. Even if he was as good as Woodsy I would be saying its time to call it quits.

Goose

Post by Goose » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 8:09 pm

he should at least sit out the remainder of the year and re access again for next year.
The Shontyn Harpe interview is a scary thought for Fulton.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 8:13 pm

I don't see any reason for him to quit just yet based upon getting knocked around the head. I think he has been a great player for us but I'd Sirro in front of him without a second thought.
Last edited by stevetiger on Sun 08 Jun, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 8:15 pm

Feel sorry for the bloke, tries his guts out and this year he has been out a lot more

Maybe wearing a headgear might help.

Plenty in the tank before Liam has to retire IMO