Brooks proves his class with clutch 40/20

willow

Post by willow » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 5:47 pm

By Jack Brady, Staff Writer
NRL.com
5:30pm Sun 08th June, 2014

Wests Tigers halfback Luke Brooks has proved his class once again after a sublime 40/20 changed the momentum of the game in his team's 23-20 win over the Newcastle Knights on Sunday afternoon.

With the ball clearly in the Knights' court with 15 minutes left, Brooks bamboozled the opposition defence with the clutch play. It would end up being the match-turner for the Tigers, securing sixth spot on the ladder for the time being.

"I think he is progressing OK. He's doing a lot more right than wrong," Tigers coach Mick Potter said of Brooks.

"That 40/20 kick just epitomises some of the stuff that he can do. We just need to make sure our forwards are going forward for him and you'll see more of him then.

"Credit to Newcastle, they really handled us in that second half but he came up with the big play to get us down the other end of the field."

Tigers captain Robbie Farah was further complimentary of his 19-year-old halfback, saying he feels the youngster finally senses he belongs in the team.

"He just keeps learning. Like Mick said, he's not the finished product but he's improving every week. Defensively, teams are running at him but for a kid he keeps putting his body on the line," Farah said.

"His talk is getting better. He feels a lot more confident directing the team around the park and it's always hard for a young kid as a 19-year-old to push senior players around the park. That's what's he doing now and that's what we need him to do."

While the 40/20 turned the game, the sequential sin-binning of Kurt Gidley from the subsequent tap only helped the Tigers' cause. The Knights captain ran into Farah and was punished severely for it.

"It changed the game didn't it?" Farah said.

"Off the 40/20, I would have scored if he didn't knock me over. You kind of think that teams haven’t picked up on the fact it's a tap restart off the 40/20 and I sprinted down there and got the ball in my hands and my eyes were wide open ready to score so either way it was a big play from Brooksy.

"It was always going to be tough for them from there and ... I thought we really shut the game down in those last 12, 13 minutes."

With the Tigers taking on the Rabbitohs in a tough Friday night encounter in Round 14, Mick Potter felt the win away from home was another feather in his team's cap.

"I like to think that we were pretty desperate and I understand they're desperate having had a few losses in a row. I think it is an achievement for our players to come here and go home with the points because I don't think many teams like coming here," Potter said.

"It's a great atmosphere for the crowd but I don't want to undersell what our players did today. It was a real good achievement."

Sully

Post by Sully » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 5:49 pm

Start putting money away for when 2017 comes around because every one is going yo want him.

He is so relaxed for a rookie that makes him such an asset.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 5:54 pm

Changed the game that play. We were gone at that stage
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Demps

Post by Demps » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 7:43 pm

Game breaker for sure.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 7:44 pm

We were lucky Boyd dogged it again and just watched it go into touch

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 7:50 pm

In the ABC interview Wayne Bennett called brooks's 40/20 a fluke .
Bennett's overrated IMO

Posted using RoarFEED V.4
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 7:54 pm

Coming back into town on the freeway and listening to the ABC match summaries and press talks that absolute tool bennett remarks how brooks kick was a fluke as well as mention he was unhappy with a couple of ref decisions. Not only is Bennett over rated as a coach he is a tosser to boot.
I dislike sowfs immensely

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 7:56 pm

hobbo2803 wrote:In the ABC interview Wayne Bennett called brooks's 40/20 a fluke .
Bennett's overrated IMO

oh wow if he said that, then it's one of the most idiotic statements. his lovechile boyd had nfi it was 40/20 neither did gidley. the rest of the stadium knew it was.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Gray

Post by Gray » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 7:58 pm

Was a clutch play alright.

Poor form from Bennet on saying that. More like Boyds 1st try assist of the season was a fluke.

Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 7:59 pm

tig_prmz wrote:
hobbo2803 wrote:In the ABC interview Wayne Bennett called brooks's 40/20 a fluke .
Bennett's overrated IMO

oh wow if he said that, then it's one of the most idiotic statements. his lovechile boyd had nfi it was 40/20 neither did gidley. the rest of the stadium knew it was.
He said it ! I actually thought the fluke was a 40 / 10
I dislike sowfs immensely

Cosimo_Zaretti

Post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 10:16 pm

Bennett's overrated IMO

It did just sneak in, a lucky bounce to be sure but Brooks still had to kick it sweetly under pressure. Bennet should be more concerned about why it went into touch at all. The f***up isn't just Boyd misreading the bounce, but he should have been looking to take that on the full and make some kick return metres. Boyd was hoping for a scrum and a breather instead of doing his job, it was lazy as well as stupid.

But sure Wayne, in next week's video session feel free to say "Now here's where Luke Brooks produced an improbable 40/20 that we couldn't have done anything to prevent"

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 10:21 pm

Wayne Bennett, the coach who has Kurt Gidley not only in first grade but as his captian and also thinks James McManus should be playing for the blues. He's going loopy in his senior years I'm afraid.

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 10:23 pm

Cosimo_Zaretti wrote:
Bennett's overrated IMO

It did just sneak in, a lucky bounce to be sure but Brooks still had to kick it sweetly under pressure. Bennet should be more concerned about why it went into touch at all. The f***up isn't just Boyd misreading the bounce, but he should have been looking to take that on the full and make some kick return metres. Boyd was hoping for a scrum and a breather instead of doing his job, it was lazy as well as stupid.

But sure Wayne, in next week's video session feel free to say "Now here's where Luke Brooks produced an improbable 40/20 that we couldn't have done anything to prevent"
We had the tap restart on the 10m line, it was in comfortably. Poor from Boyd (who was otherwise there best), makes you wonder if there was nah communication from his other players though because he had it easily covered.

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 10:23 pm

Cosimo_Zaretti wrote:
Bennett's overrated IMO

We had the tap restart on the 10m line, it was in comfortably. Poor from Boyd (who was otherwise there best), makes you wonder if there was nah communication from his other players though because he had it easily covered.

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 10:54 pm

The Knights penalty count was a fluke.
As was their try when Anasta grounded it.

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 7:29 am

Pre harsh to call it a fluke.
He prob practices them every day and aces them.

Sour grapes.
Scoreline didn't reflect the game, we should've legally been up by 10+
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 10:17 am

Demps wrote:Pre harsh to call it a fluke.
He prob practices them every day and aces them.

Sour grapes.
Scoreline didn't reflect the game, we should've legally been up by 10+
Not sour grapes more likely he didn't want to blast Boyd for just watching it so came up with it was just a fluke excuse. Can't bag the golden boy...

Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 10:57 am

Who cares what Bennett said.