Siro

Russell

Re: Siro

Post by Russell » Tue 17 Jun, 2014 8:10 pm

Black'n'White wrote:Brooks and Siro didnt buckle under constant attack from Burgess, that in itself is a huge compliment to both of them.

Its not as easy to spot the quality of a breakout second rower as say a fullback or half, they dont even get the consistant ball a prop would... Apart from being able to string 80 minute games together at present, he doesnt do a hell of alot wrong, especially at his age. The way I see it, many kids take a while to be able to put consistant solid games when finding their way in the pack, Woods was a freak, SBW as well, but if you think of other world class second rowers like say Lewis and Gallen, Lewis started out wide and progressed inwards a hardened man, when Gallen started he was told he was too small and worked his keister off to make it, but Siro has walked in the door been told he was too big to be a half and took to an alien role like a duck to water. Curtis isnt a second rower by trade, he wasnt just thrown into the deep end, he was dumped into the ocean deep sea and hasnt really missed a beat.

Its scary thinking what lays ahead of him with a good injury free run, and ajdusting his game to incorporate the ballskills he possesses...
Couldn't agree more - this kid is going to be a champion. I feel better than his old man and he was pretty good in my opinion.

The trouble here is that everyone agrees we are in a rebuilding year and the youngers need experience etc. but nobody wants to wait.

We win a couple of games and suddenly people are talking top four and a chance to win it. We are going well and in a couple of years we will win it - but the youngsters need to get the experience and some need to build up like Moses. Some days they'll be brilliant and others not so good but they have to learn their craft.

Siro is learning - give him a break - he is not going to learn in Reggies.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 17 Jun, 2014 9:13 pm

Thing is both boys were everyday footy players until getting to the development squads, and getting some proper training.
They werent pushed early like some are.
They have the genes, and theyve had more opportunity than most.
Politics plays a part, as does the name, but ability also comes into it, and they dont lack that

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Tue 17 Jun, 2014 9:23 pm

they say if you wanna become a professional athlete, choose your parents wisely.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Tue 17 Jun, 2014 9:36 pm

innsaneink wrote:Thing is both boys were everyday footy players until getting to the development squads, and getting some proper training.
For me, the above describes what occurred with their father. I did not think that much of him on the field as a junior (big boy who lacked aggression or had a Moltzen sized heart?), but he really kicked on as he matured, having earlier played centre.why

Through my eyes, whilst Curtis has a much wider skill set than his father, he not only shows much more potential, he is also a better player at the same age. His maternal grandfather was a good half as well

madunit

Post by madunit » Fri 04 Jul, 2014 11:18 am

Sironen has been pushed into the back row a bit too quickly I think.

No doubt it's where he will inevitably end up, but his skill set is more closely linked to a centre than a backrower.

Centre could be a good spot for him in the interim as the lines he'd run there are similar, but he'd be running at poorer defenders.

His passing game could set up plenty of opportunities too.

yeti

Post by yeti » Fri 04 Jul, 2014 12:08 pm

madunit wrote:Sironen has been pushed into the back row a bit too quickly I think.

No doubt it's where he will inevitably end up, but his skill set is more closely linked to a centre than a backrower.

Centre could be a good spot for him in the interim as the lines he'd run there are similar, but he'd be running at poorer defenders.

His passing game could set up plenty of opportunities too.
Too slow with his lateral defence. Would be found out far to often IMO