Lawrence

Black'n'White

Re: Lawrence

Post by Black'n'White » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 2:56 pm

I have rewatched the game again this morning, paying special attention to Lawrence, and he was every bit as bad as i thought he was the first time.

I strongly urge anybody that defended Chris for his effort in that game to find a highlights package and watch his comedic effort in the last try. It was grossly incompetent.

I can stomach an off game, but that was something different. He should face selection repercussions after that.

yeti

Post by yeti » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 3:09 pm

I agree that Lawrence was very poor last night - probably one of the worst on the field. However, I'm not sure Potter has too many options at the moment. I know some on this forum believe Nofo should be moved to the centres.Certainly that is an option that may be worth trying once we have Farah and Woods back on the field.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 3:13 pm

Black'n'White wrote:I have rewatched the game again this morning, paying special attention to Lawrence, and he was every bit as bad as i thought he was the first time.

I strongly urge anybody that defended Chris for his effort in that game to find a highlights package and watch his comedic effort in the last try. It was grossly incompetent.

I can stomach an off game, but that was something different. He should face selection repercussions after that.
I wouldn't watch that game again if you paid me
I still have a wests tigers hangover !
I like Lawrence , but he was diabolical last night

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 3:29 pm

lol hobbo... I thought I may have been overly critical of Lawrence so went back to watch his game specifically. Turns out I went soft on him for his single handed sabotage of that game. Sure there were plenty of other mistakes, but if we had stretched his jersey over an otto bin last night and rolled it onto the park and left it sit there for the 80 mins, we would have had a better chance in the game.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 3:51 pm

Black'n'White wrote:lol hobbo... I thought I may have been overly critical of Lawrence so went back to watch his game specifically. Turns out I went soft on him for his single handed sabotage of that game. Sure there were plenty of other mistakes, but if we had stretched his jersey over an otto bin last night and rolled it onto the park and left it sit there for the 80 mins, we would have had a better chance in the game.
An otto bin would have caught more balls lol

haberfield tiger

Post by haberfield tiger » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 8:34 pm

I was at the game and to be honest I know Lawrence had a bad game but geez the defence knows we only go one way in attack, so the poor guy is under real pressure all the time. Its a shame because brooks only stands on one side. They were sitting ducks last night. I think this has forced Potters hand and he will drop Anasta for Austin. he's got two weeks to work with Austin.

As for dropping Chris, he needs another chance. he just had a bad game under pressure.

willow

Post by willow » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 8:44 pm

Something definitely needs to be done about the 6 jersey. We won't make the 8 if we persist in playing our left edge attack all the time, we'll be found out by the stronger teams so we have to get creative because scoring points has now become a real issue for us.

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 8:49 pm

willow wrote:Something definitely needs to be done about the 6 jersey. We won't make the 8 if we persist in playing our left edge attack all the time, we'll be found out by the stronger teams so we have to get creative because scoring points has now become a real issue for us.
I totally agree. We look most dangerous going down the right. Sure two or three to the left but then bring it right and they will score on a regular basis.

Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

oldschooltiger

Post by oldschooltiger » Sun 15 Jun, 2014 8:58 pm

I don't think the Tigers will re sign him when his contracts up unless he finds some good form over the next 1 1/2 years. It's a shame the hip injury buggered him.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 15 Jun, 2014 9:11 pm

oldschooltiger wrote:I don't think the Tigers will re sign him when his contracts up unless he finds some good form over the next 1 1/2 years. It's a shame the hip injury buggered him.
2 and a half yrs. Off contract at the end of 2016.

barra

Post by barra » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 9:51 am

That's a scary thought. Another 2 1/2 years of watching Chris struggle... surely he can't continue to be picked on his past rep and contract value. He should be dropped, and if he puts up another stinker he should be dropped - every time it happens. He needs to understand that loyalty is important but for the good of the team and club it should only go so far.

If he can't cut the mustard in 1st grade then he shouldn't be there. There should be no free tickets for anyone, even one of our favourite sons - it is far too cutthroat a game these days.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 10:12 am

I still can't believe how people are freaking out about Lawrence

Apart from the Warriors game when he played wing and went to crap he has been pretty good and had been on the improve week from week

What people don't seem to get is every club can see we go left every time we get the chance so they can mark him heavily

By all means if he is selected to play v Canberra and puts up another similar performance I will join the dooms dayers but everyone is entitled to a second chance

With Nofoaluma on one leg you can't put him in the centres and we don't really have anyone in the centres killing it in NSW Cup

As I say many times a day , be careful what you wish for

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 10:22 am

happy tiger wrote:I still can't believe how people are freaking out about Lawrence

Apart from the Warriors game when he played wing and went to crap he has been pretty good and had been on the improve week from week

What people don't seem to get is every club can see we go left every time we get the chance so they can mark him heavily

By all means if he is selected to play v Canberra and puts up another similar performance I will join the dooms dayers but everyone is entitled to a second chance

With Nofoaluma on one leg you can't put him in the centres and we don't really have anyone in the centres killing it in NSW Cup

Happy, you're setting the bar way too low mate. Sure he's only had 2 abysmal 1/10 performances, but the vast majority of his games would be no more than a rating of 5/10. He did have a good spell for a month or so where we has playing at a rating of about 7/10 but he's now been back to 3-4/10.

A good game from a centre doesn't mean he hit the ball up 15 times. Maybe if he was a prop. But you need more from a centre. He's had 2 seasons of playing well below the average performance of what other centres in the NRL are playing at. yes our attack is one dimensional but he makes fundamental errors time after time.

It's just that now he's gone from a 5/10 rating to abysmal levels.

It's in his best interests to play NSW Cup and try regain some fitness and form. It's not below him. It's the level he's currently at. The Lawrence of the late 00's is gone. He has no pace, which was the main skill he ever possessed.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 10:31 am

happy tiger wrote:I still can't believe how people are freaking out about Lawrence

Very astute happy.

We shouldn't be surprised, this thread reeks of the reactionism that plagues forums after a loss.

I'm not against dropping Lawrence at some point if he repeats Friday's effort, but who are you gonna replace him with? As you note, all the death-riders are promoting Nofo to centres - not only is the guy strapped up like Civoniceva, when was the last time he actually played centres, any grade?

It's not like we are keeping a Tim Lafai or Dean Whare wallowing in NSW Cup.

In fact I hope we do drop Lawrence for Nofo for the next few weeks, then we can finally see how well that fantasy turns out and be done with the discussion.
Last edited by jirskyr on Mon 16 Jun, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 10:34 am

Balmain Boy wrote:

Happy, you're setting the bar way too low mate. Sure he's only had 2 abysmal 1/10 performances, but the vast majority of his games would be no more than a rating of 5/10. He did have a good spell for a month or so where we has playing at a rating of about 7/10 but he's now been back to 3-4/10.

A good game from a centre doesn't mean he hit the ball up 15 times. Maybe if he was a prop. But you need more from a centre. He's had 2 seasons of playing well below the average performance of what other centres in the NRL are playing at. yes our attack is one dimensional but he makes fundamental errors time after time.

It's just that now he's gone from a 5/10 rating to abysmal levels.

It's in his best interests to play NSW Cup and try regain some fitness and form. It's not below him. It's the level he's currently at. The Lawrence of the late 00's is gone. He has no pace, which was the main skill he ever possessed.
Don't disagree , but any player you bring up will be a 5/6 out of ten and lack any NRL experience to play centre

That's the issue , who at the club is better than Lawrence without having to make a major overhaul of the backline and setting us back months especially defensively

From Round 17-23 we have a very hard draw we can't go messing with it now in my opinion

The only possible option I would swing with is playing Bodene Thompson in the centres , but he himself has said he hates playing in the centres and he is doing a really good job as our 80 minute backrower

Until we find a better centre we have to stick with Lawrence We have 14 days to pick one up before the June 30 deadline if that is an option

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 10:49 am

If Lawrence is selected to play v Canberra and puts in a similar performance Wests Tigers Final 8 chances are gone, finito. Also our other centres must be terrible if they can't play better than Nofoaluma on one leg.

barra

Post by barra » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 11:14 am

Well I am a fan but I am freaking out. He was building nicely the last few weeks then turns in a performance like he did. Sure, he is under pressure with our predictable attack atm but really, that was a stinker of a game he had.

My biggest fear is that confidence he was (very) slowly building may have been damaged again. If that is the case, what do we do - wait several weeks for him to come good again? Because this has been his process in recent times. I've said it before, it does no one any favours - least of all the team, and Chris himself - to continue to have shockers.

The game against Canberra will be very telling. He generally goes okay against them but if poor then surely Potter needs to pull the trigger on a change.

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 1:22 pm

How many games of that calibre are acceptable?

To those saying if he repeats... firstly it is acknowledged he did in the Warriors game as well, and secondly what hope would we have if he did play like that game in any sort of tight contest?

Lawrence isnt fast, cannot contest the high ball and is for all intensive purposes a wide second rower... we can cover that, we dont need anything special to replace at the same standard. Thompson could put an average game in at centre and make the cut, Halatau started out there and is a consumate professional a pure footballer and wouldnt be lost out there, and finally Akauola has some form at centre, got tired playing second row but that is understandable, and if he could curb his enthusiasm could be another option.

All I am getting at is Chris recently has been playing well for the current Chris Lawrence, not well for an elite centre, hence we dont need an exceptional player to fill the void if we drop him. A bog stock to ordinary replacement expected to make a few bad reads in defence, run like a backrower and we have cookie cut the perfect replacement, which is anybody at all.